Your Thoughts: Muppets Letters to Santa

What did you think of the "Letters to Santa" special?

• I loved "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 74 40.0%
  • "Letters to Santa" was good.

Votes: 71 38.4%
  • "Letters to Santa" was just so-so.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I disliked "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 13 7.0%

• Total voters

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I mostly agree with prawncracker. Fans are always going to think things could be better, but I liked what they gave us. Scooter's official return from retirement alone makes this special ... well, um - special. I know he's appeared before, but he appears back for good now.

And I felt Piggy was Piggy-ish.

Rowlf, well I still hear a lot of Bobo in him and that's alright with me. :sympathy: :smile:
Thanks, Jamie! That means a lot!

By the way... for anyone interested, Tough Pigs has their review up and it's fantastic. When the self-proclaimed tough critics are pleased... I think that says something.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I liked it, I liked it a lot. My wife L:flirt:VED it. Here's my quick thoughts:

Eric's characters sound identical to Franks. Sam was fantastic. I'm still gonna' be a little picky on his puppeteering. It's good, don't get me wrong, just a little stiff.

Frank and Jerry tribute? I thought I heard "Frances Ozkowitz" over the PA in the airport, but I read on Muppet Wiki Jerry had a tribute too. Help? (sorry if I missed it in this thread). I'd love to know what Frank thinks of all these tributes. (Why no Jim tributes though? Do they really want to try and just get Frank back?)

That was Paul Williams! The head elf! Fantastic!

Floyd sounded great, Robin sounded okay. I've said it before; whoever the new guy doing Jerry's characters is, he's really good, I just miss Jerry.

Scooter is fantastic. I loved Rudman's performance in Studio DC, I loved it here. Great work.

Bill Baretta is the best thing to happen to The Muppets since Jim and Richard's deaths. I saw in the credits he was puppet captain.

Just a couple negatives:
Why was Beau only sweeping in the background... he couldn't say anything?

Where's Kevin? Is Clifford completely fazed out? He may not be my favorite Muppet, but I think he belongs in there.

All in all, my feelings are this: The Muppets will never be the same without Jim ever again, that's one point I'm just not going to argue. However, for the first time ever in my life, I feel this is something he'd be proud of. I like to picture Jim looking down from Heaven with a smile and just going "Hmm..." in silent appreciation.

CaughtRedHanded

Reaction score
That same question hit me as I watched. With Disney owning ABC, why would the basic relaunch of the Muppet brand be allowed to take place on a rival network?
I was wondering the same thing, so I thought to hazard a guess.

NBC seems to have a better relationship with The Muppets (I recently saw a webcast of when The Muppets took over NBC's Today show and prominent NBC actors particpated in Letters).

My best guess is that we need to remember ABC does not own The Muppets, their parent company does. IF ABC wanted to do something, I am sure Disney could make it happen, but they haven't shown much interest, while NBC has. This might just be due to simple things like scheduling, not any overt prejudice by ABC.

Because NBC and The Muppets get along so well, I hope that any future TV shows get aired there, and not ABC.

pattywack

Reaction score
YES! I've been waiting for your review theprawncracker. I always agree with your thoughts, which is great, and I still havn't seen the muppet special, the torrent isn't downloading but I saw a link before so I'll see if that works next. But thanks for the review!

Aaron

Reaction score
i loved it..i'll watch it yearly ROWLF SANG ...ahem sorry..you all know i'm happy

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I agree that Beau should have had a line or two. He's one of Dave Goelz' characters and he's the one Muppateer who's still with us. I could have seen him as the cab driver. No offense to Whoopi though. I also agree with what someone had mentioned earlier that if the special were on for longer than an hour, then we wouldn't have the problem of the conflicts being resolved so easily. That's seemed to work in IVAMCM.

pattywack

Reaction score
FINALLY! Managed to watch it. I LOVED it! It was fantastic! I'm so convinced the muppets are on the way back. It was just what I hoped for. A one hour special to see the muppets and feel the warmth of Christmas! I'd like to see it a second time, but sadly I'm off to Melbourne tomorrow for a week so will have to wait till a weeks time when I get back. If only I had an ipod version!

I wasn't really annoyed that they only had a few muppets go to Santa, I think that's how it should have been. If it had been the whole gang, no one would have gotten enough lines. I'm just SO glad the amount of other muppets we got to see again. ROWLF! Was so happy, he sounded sooo good! I really hope they build on bringing him up to be a main muppet again! I miss him so much, but I honestly thought it would never be the same, but hearing him gave me SO much hope.

I really didn't hear enough of Robin to have an opinion, he didn't sound too bad to me. Scooter ... Ey, a lot of people say his voice was off but his feel there, it was the other way round for me! His voice wasn't too bad, but I just didn't feel he was there. But that was expected, and it takes time to fully get into the character, and I'm sure that will happen one day!

SAM! Guh, he was so good. Eric Jacobson ... is amazing. I don't even think of the muppets (ohh they don't have the same muppeteer anymore) they're still Fozzie, Piggy and Sam to me.

Pepe cracked me up once again, he is such a legend. I'm looking forward to the movie! Hopefully then we'll get the whole gang together and more lines for everyone.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Prawnie and Dave, thanks so much for your heartfelt reviews. Yes I've read the others, but I paid particular attention to each of yours because you are both good friends of mine whose opinions I respect a great deal (this is no offense to anyone else really) and I have to say, I haven't had a chance to watch this yet due to a crazy hectic schedule. I will be watching soon enough and you both have me so excited I'm ready to tell my boss I'm "sick" so I can go home and watch this right now!

In particular I'm super excited that Rowlf is back! Everyone knows my love for that dog, so it makes me so thrilled to hear not only is he back, he gets to sing a solo.

The Muppets are back. That is the best Christmas present in the entire world in my opinion!