Your Thoughts: Muppet Central's 18th Birthday

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Happy birthday! Muppet Central is now 18 years old. The site debuted 18 years ago on January 28, 1998.

Back when the site first started The Jim Henson Company still owned all of their original properties including the Muppets and Sesame Street. Two new feature films were in development simultaneously, Muppets From Space and Elmo in Grouchland. The Children's Television Workshop was gearing up for their upcoming 30th anniversary and The Jim Henson Company was developing an ambitious sci-fi series that would eventually become Farscape. Even though many changes have occurred throughout the EM.TV and Disney years, we’ve been honored to be a small part of it and to provide a place for fan discussion and interaction.

We want to thank all of the staff, past and present who have given so much of their time and giftings to make Muppet Central a great place. Every member here is a vital part of what makes Muppet Central special. Thanks for doing your part in keeping Jim Henson’s vision of the Muppets alive. We believe great days are ahead.

While we’re celebrating 18 years, we are also looking towards the future. Answer the below questions and let us know your predictions for 2016:

(1) What do you think the future holds for the Muppets especially with the ABC series being retooled? Do you believe they'll be a Season 2 and beyond? On February 17, it will have been 12 years since Disney bought the Muppet characters so they aren't the new property anymore, especially with money makers like Star Wars and Marvel now in the family.

(2) What would you like to see Sesame Street produce or release in 2016? What do you think of the HBO deal so far? Sesame Street continues to rebound with the departures of beloved veterans. The good news of the HBO deal is that we are guaranteed a 50th season which might not have happened if the show stayed solely on PBS.

(3) What are your hopes for new productions from The Jim Henson Company in 2016? With a new Labyrinth project in the works and an upcoming puppet series on PBS, the Henson Company appears poised for a breakthrough in the years to come. Will it happen? We're still waiting for the Fraggle Rock movie that's been in development for years.

Happy birthday everyone!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
It's been an honor to be a part of such a vonderful fan community, both as a member and part of the forum staff. My Muppet fandom was rekindled thanks to the Palisades action figure line back in 2002 with that first figure of :big_grin: that I bought. It's led to many posts and forum friendships throughout the years.

As for the questions posed above...
1 Yes, I think that The Muppets 2015 TV series can get a second season based on the interest shown so far, plus the fact only another six episodes are left so it's competition against heavy-hitters like The Flash or Fox's comedies won't really impact the Muppets past March. Anything beyond that is a purely speculative guess.

2 The HBO changes puzzle me a bit, but then again since I'm not watching the episodes there it doesn't really affect me that much. All I hope is that Sesame Street reaches the golden 50th anniversary mark with as much fanfare as possible.

3 The Jim Henson productions are the most random to predict. There are far too many "announced" projects, but rarely anything has come of them. Last year's Turkey Hollow was enjoyable and anything beyond that is pretty much left up to whatever really does get produced/greenlit/released through other media formats.

Thanks for everything Phil, happy 18th birthday, now Muppet Central is old enough to vote or drink beer at Rowlf's Tavern or get drafted into the 120-Second Army. :zany:

Erine81981

Reaction score
*walks in with a Birthday cake for Muppet Central* HAPPY 18tenth BIRTHDAY MUPPET CENTRAL!!! Now blow out your candles! Hi Ed, Phil, muppetspots2 & charlietheowl! Oh by the way if I didn't know your real name and used your username, I'm Kyle. Now where are the tunes? We need to pump this party up!

Erine81981

Reaction score
(1) What do you think the future holds for the Muppets especially with the ABC series being retooled? Do you believe they'll be a Season 2 and beyond? I really do hope to see newer and newer seasons down the road. I think we will. I think the show will still hold it's own even with just a few minor changes but we will see tomorrow night!

(2) What would you like to see Sesame Street produce or release in 2016? What do you think of the HBO deal so far? I just can't wait for the 50th Season. Like Phil said I think we would have never seen one if HBO hadn't teamed up with PBS. Also with the works (hoping) a movie which was talked about a few back I would really love to see that too. We need some other Sesame Street Films other then just the two we have.

(3) What are your hopes for new productions from The Jim Henson Company in 2016? My hope is that the new Labyrinth project in the works will still hold it's own but still pay tribute to the classic too. I want a Fraggle Rock movie. Wished there would have been one back when Jim and Jerry Juhl were still with us but I'm still hoping for the best. Can't wait to see the new series on PBS. Hope it is as cool as any of the other Henson shows.

bknatchbull

Reaction score
Want to wish Muppet Central a very Happy 18th Birthday. I joined back in 2004, 12 years ago, and I still make it a part of my day! Congrats and keep up the great work!

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I know I'm really late to the party, but I thought I'd just say congrats and happy birthday! I've only recently joined here and started looking around the site, but from what I've seen, it's a great site and a great forum. Cheers! :smile: