Your Thoughts: MC’s 10th Birthday

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s hard to fathom, but Muppet Central is now ten years old. The site debuted 10 years ago on January 28, 1998.

Back when the site first started The Jim Henson Company still owned all of their original properties including the Muppets and Sesame Street. Two new feature films were in development simultaneously, Muppets From Space and Elmo in Grouchland. Even though many changes have occurred throughout the EM.TV and Disney years, we’ve been honored to be a small part of it and to provide a place for fan discussion and interaction.

We want to thank all of the staff, past and present who have given so much of their time and giftings to make Muppet Central a great place. Every member here is a vital part of what makes Muppet Central special. Thanks for doing your part in keeping Jim Henson’s vision of the Muppets alive. We’re believing great days are ahead.

Here are a few questions as we walk down memory lane…

1. When did you first visit Muppet Central?
2. What are some of your favorite Muppet Central memories?
3. What is your prediction for the Muppets in 2008?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Wow, that means I've been around 9 years now? Where does time go? Anyway, I can't recall but I think I signed on in 1999 at the old Delphi boards. I do know that it was my very first time to sign on to a forum and be a part of things, so that's why (when I'm not found at other forums) I'll always be found here! History!

I've met some very nice people over the years and am proud to call them my friends! I've had some great opportunities arise by being a member here, and have been able to enjoy things like MuppetFest with people I already knew, even though we'd never met personally.

Phil, thanks for giving us fans an outlet and a friendly, family-like atmosphere to visit!

Is there any link to see what the website looked like when it first started? Maybe a nice historical page on the website would be cool to celebrate 10 years? :smile:

I hope that 2008 will see a TV series or movie with the Muppets in it (even if it's direct to DVD--I need some Muppety goodness). I'll settle for a new television special (maybe one that isn't a Christmas theme even, but Halloween or Easter or Thanksgiving). I look forward to all the merchandise (especially the Master Replicas Muppets). I'll also gladly welcome the DVDs and books mentioned for this year.

Telly

Reaction score
Wow! Happy birthday Muppet Central! :smile:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
First off, Happy Anniversary Muppet Central!

Ironically, I first visited Muppet Central about three years ago this week! Well, I think I was lurking before that, but this is the week that I joined. I like that my anniversary falls close to MC's anniversary!

There are so many I don't know if I could list them all. Dorms, fan fics both authored and read, random threads and muffining, role play games, sharing in special moments with MC friends and having them share in mine, and just celebrating the magic of Jim Henson and his creations with so many others who appreciate it as much as I do!

Good things. I think with Muppet Show Season Three, the final season of Fraggle Rock and things like that continuing to be released on DVD that it will be a good year for Muppet fans and hopefully a sign of more good things to come. I always try to be optimistic!

Skye

Reaction score
Yay! How exciting. :excited: Happy Birthday, MC! This place is the best! :smile:

I first visited MC the day I joined. I fell in love with this forum instantly! I knew I wanted to be a part of it.

I have so many favorite memories so far, and so many of them include simply meeting and knowing all of the wonderful friends I've made here so far. The Muppets have the greatest fans! And it's so awesome being able to meet others who love the magic of the Muppets as much as I do. :smile:

I agree with Beth. We know of season three of The Muppet Show and season four of Fraggle Rock, which is already SO exciting! And I always believe that very good things will happen for them, too. I look forward to seeing how this year will turn out!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
1. If my memory serves correctly, I believe I first visited the summer of 2003, and joined like within a few days after my initial visit so I could join in on the conversations being held about my favorite source of entertainment.
2. Well, my best friend, MrsPepper, just bumped my old "Remembrance of Snowth Past" thread, that should give you some idea of my favorite memories.:halo:
3. Um... nothing I'm afraid; Disney keeps making promises, then ends up breaking them like they're New Years Resolutions.

Luke

Reaction score
Quite a milestone, Happy Birthday MC! I think i've been here the entire time aside the first few initial months. One of the things i miss from the old site/forum was the closer community (especially through chat) and the users contributing more to the site, but i also love the newer site design, the smilies, and that there are a lot more people visiting now. Congratulations all past and present - it's amazing that both Phillip and Cindy, and Mar and Michael met through the site and started families! As Kevin said, it'd be nice to see a memorial page on the site showing how things were and how they are now. Anyway, i've met some fantastic people here who i'd consider friends, and am glad to be part of something that celebrates and supports Henson's work!

BabyScooter

Reaction score
happy birthday mc here is a birthday joke with the number 10 from one of the muppet show episodes.

Lady: " Did you know that dancing adds ten years to your life?"

Man: " I believe it dancing with you I've AGED ten years."

happy birthday mc this was brought to you by the letters H, A, P, P, Y B, I, R,T,H,D,A,Y.

and by the number 10.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Happy birthday, MC! Here's to the next ten years!

No; the real question is 'can I remember back that far?' :wink: I joined the forums back in August of '02, shortly before or after beginning my senior year at another MC (Monmouth College). But I'm fairly sure that I browsed through the forums and the site a few months before that. In fact, if I remember right it was a web search on Richard Hunt that led me to this great place (and if that isn't intervention on some level, then I don't know what is!)

Joining the Muppet Dorms (one of the best roleplays I've ever had the pleasure of being involved in), joining the RHLC, meeting a lot of cool and wonderful people here.

Well, one of them (Season 3 of the Muppet Show) has already come true so I can check that one off. Hopefully we will see releases of Muppet music along the lines of the Fraggle Rock CD boxset that was released last year.

-Kim

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
Wowee! Congrats Phillip & crew! Here's to more fun times here!

Well, like many others, a few months before I joined--however, I DO recall browsing briefly around November of 2004 looking for Muppet plushes, but that was a one time visit till I visited again months later.

2.What are some of your favorite Muppet Central memories?

I loved coming 'home' a few days ago, of course, and all the coolness that happened 1 year previous- all that patented goofiness and late night rambles with Prawnie, Snowth, Count, Ziffel, Pepper, Kendra, and all my other friends here. :smile: Also, the sensation of seeing Classic Sesame & Muppet Show out on disc was neat, and general Sesame chat with my pals in that area of the board.

Well, hopefully, we'll get possibly even more Muppet Show/Sesame stuff, and heck, maybe Disney'll give us a new show too (Eternal optimism :smile: )