Your Thoughts: Lady Gaga and The Muppets Holiday Spectacular on ABC

Bridget

Reaction score
Well, this special was definitely- interesting... The one thing I did not like however, would be Kermit being the choice of partner for the duet of "Gypsy". I felt that the song would have been better off with Miss Piggy instead. His vocal tone just did not catch the mood of Gaga's song, to me. **Love you though, Kermit honey!**

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
@MuppetDanny:
Well, there you are then Brain. Zart!

@Lemango#2:
So that was Norman after all. That answers a question I had.
:smile:

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
I prefer these shaded Gonzo performances to the usual schtick we get from Piggy. Her character has become flat. I think the Mayhem was wonderful and I loved that Scooter was included in this special. He was gone for so long that I cherish every new moment when he's on screen.
This is exactly my feeling. Watching it last night, I thought to myself "Well, this isn't great and I really expected it to be a special with some sort of plot/structure/narrative like the other Holiday Specials the Muppets have done. But one thing I personally find so so great (and made me literally beam a big smile) is the fact that Scooter and Rowlf are up there in the foreground, dancing with the others at the very beginning of a holiday special that is pretty much mainstream, or national!!" I think this even happened more than once in the show, if memory serves me right.

To me, that just completely cemented the fact that the "main" or "core group" of Muppets is now and will always be Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter and Rowlf again - and this time, joined by Walter. That, their SNL appearance in 2011, and this musical number in the upcoming movie just prove it (I know Piggy isn't with them in two of these examples, but still.) It looks like it will stay that way now and I couldn't be happier about that. I much prefer it this way than the way it used to be: Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo and Pepe (usually joined by Animal) being the main group to show up in major TV appearances. More people are going to be seeing more of characters like Scooter, Rowlf, Lips and Lew Zealand and I think that's just wonderful!

I couldn't help but think that just a few years ago, I never thought that would ever happen again and we'd be lucky to see Scooter and Rowlf say just one or two lines, or appear in one or two scenes. I think they both were used pretty well in this special. Also, I don't think that any of us thought the Muppets would do a national, prime-time, special like this, so I am thankful for both things here. Even if the finished result could've been better. I think this time, it won't come as complete surprise if they do something like this again and you never know, there's still a chance to do more and better specials :smile:.

I hope that doesn't sound backhanded in any way. I really am trying to make it come off as positive and optimistic and I know there are still some people who loved the special.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been reading the comments section of the review at The Muppet Mindset, and it seems like many who watched the special and commented there really hated it. While some of us had positive things to say about it in this thread as well as the thread at Tough Pigs (and the review at The Muppet Mindset was a fairly positive review), everybody commenting there was truly negative towards it.

It's also interesting how the review article at The Muppet Mindset has 18 comments. Most Mindset articles rarely have more than just a few comments. Keep in mind I'm talking about comments at the actual website, not comments on the Facebook page.

To me, that just completely cemented the fact that the "main" or "core group" of Muppets is now and will always be Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter and Rowlf again - and this time, joined by Walter.

I can't remember, but did Rowlf have any lines in this special? I don't remember him having any. Wow, if this was made in 1991-2008 I'd instantly be able to remember if Rowlf even had a line.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Whoever said the "core group" of Muppets was restricted to Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter, and Rowlf? If you ask me, the "core group" of Muppets is ALL the TMS characters - that is, taking into consideration ALL of the Muppet characters there are out there (SST Muppets, TMS Muppets, Fraggles, yadda-yadda-yadda).

But to answer your question, no, Rowlf didn't have any lines in the special. In spite of his recent comeback, he's kind of been reduced to something of a lazy dog.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
Rowlf sang the in the Venus number, and mumbled during the planning scene, and also, in a blooper, was the one who started the 'OOOOOOOOOOOOH' with Kermit, Fozzie and the others when Lew failed to throw the fish.

One of the things people have been saying is that Lady Gaga doesn't fit well with the Muppets.

The Muppets worked with Robin Williams, Ozzy Ozborn, Weird Al, Hulk Hogan, Alice Cooper, Vincent Price, Mr. T, Sir Elton John, and even Mike Rowe. Lady Gaga's just another notch on the 'weird celebs' bed post.