1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: Kermit and Miss Piggy on America's Got Talent

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Sep 1, 2009.

1. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Right, and your almost EXACT post to me wasn't equally as rude. Adding a Kermit smiley doesn't make a comment any less rude. Your quaint little comment implied that your side of the argument was the "end of story," as if mine was invalid.

Don't dish what you can't take!
  2. heralde Well-Known Member

Well thank you for explaining that, to be honest I'm very surprised. It was not my intention to be rude at all, seriously. I was trying to be diplomatic and end the conversation. I'm sorry if it did not come across that way. It is never my intention to be rude. I was saying the fact that we had different viewpoints was the end of the story. Not that yours was invalid.

You can believe me or not. But I'm going to stop coming here for awhile. It's too much. But rudeness is never my intention. Goodbye all...
  3. frogboy4 Inactive Member

I suppose that most of us fans are worried that with watered-down performances and cutting corners that the Muppets could suffer the horrible fate of Scooby-Doo has . Ick. I don't care how well this is written, this is not a quality project. You'd think Scooby would demand some better value.

The Muppets deserve the best. Let's hope Steve and the gang come together for some fantastic Muppeting for this coming year.
  4. Luke Active Member

If the puppetry is beginner and the voice is off .. what do you have left? a hand? lol

I don't think he was like early Jim at all .. to me, thats a bit of an insult to Jim. :eek:
  5. Beauregard Well-Known Member

Actually, that is a somewhat perfect example. Scooby Doo the Movie was never going to be exactly as good as the cartoon, but they got top quality performers and cast them to fit the characters in a perfect sort of way, but now they have a group of guys who don't even have the right hair colours or any acting ability. That's kinda what's happened here. No?
  6. Luke Active Member

True, they could never find anyone with hair like Steves :o
  7. Beauregard Well-Known Member

Haha! Oh no indeed :p
  8. Fozzie Bear Moderator

I never understood "Super" either, but I like it. I have seen that it is an actual title in the moderation panels. Go figure. I do know that I spend more time moderating than posting as a fan around here; which I touched on in another thread.

I agree, there is craziness in all these threads about the Steve situation, and I'm glad you found part of my point in my silly post about all the discussions. What if there were? There won't be--they did it a few years ago. The only people they kept after all the workshops were over were folks who were already working for The Muppets, even once in a while. Nothing came of it, nothing would. What's coming of all these discussions now? Nothing.

Everything is talking in circles on every forum thread about this topic, and what I'm adding to the conversation is as substantial as most of what others are saying or doing. So, you can see my point in my silly post.

Look on the other threads--everyone--and folks will see what I'm talking about. Conversation's gone crazy.

Nothing we say or do will change what the executives are going to say or do. We're fans, and we'll buy what they put out there and accept what they give us on TV or movies because we have no other choice.

Do I give up? Not really, as I feel certain that Steve will be back before long.

You have had conversations with folks from The Muppets performance troupe before: get those contacts going and find out what's going on. Let's get Steve back where he's supposed to be.

Frankly, folks, the conversations are all going downhill about Steve vs. Artie and are all full of negativity. I appreciate Kynan's response to my silly post being mostly diplomatically written. All posts about this topic should be diplomatically written.

I'm not going to knock Artie's performance at all. It was probably last minute and was good. But, while Steve is alive and well, as has been said, he's Kermit. As I said many moons ago: Jim wanted him to take the role--who can ask for a better reference than Kermit's creator?

And I feel the vibrations of a response or debate coming along. :)
  9. Luke Active Member

I think the posts suggesting people contact Disney maybe did make a difference, at least to show there is an interested fanbase who notice these things. Maybe it won't change what they do, admittedly.
  10. frogboy4 Inactive Member

I think it could help. I'm sure Disney's seeing where it's most efficient to cut costs with the Muppets (as with all the Mouse House projects). They need to know that replacing key Muppets is frowned upon. If Kermit can't make it (due to schedule or buget), see if another performer can bring out another Muppet. I'd love to see Scooter permanently recast and get some limelight. Don't you think Janice would be a thrill to see on Conan or Ferguson? Maybe Bill is availble with Pepe, Dr. Teeth or better yet - Rowlf. Lotsa possibilities. Bring the Muppets back to the Muppets! It's been known as the Kermit and Miss Piggy brand for too long.
  11. Luke Active Member

Totally agree, trouble has been its so long folks have forgotten the wider cast which prevented them putting up those characters. Stuff like D23 and the specials is doing great work to re-introduce them and hopefully make it possible again.

Even Gonzo on his own on AGT would have been fantastic.
  12. Hat Sharpener New Member

You know what?

All this Steve/Artie Kermit business, along with D22 (or 23 or whatever) got me coming back to MuppetCentral for the first time in years. I was excited to have some people share my enthusiasm and concerns about the future of the Muppets.

Instead, all I've found is people engaging in pointless arguments, constantly re-iterating their points over and over, and generally being nasty to each other. It's been like stepping into an argument in my wife's class of high school sophomores.

There is a lot of enthusiasm and passion for the Muppets here. It's a shame everyone just has to turn all that passion into pointless, heated internal arguments rather than making an effort to affect positive change by actually telling the people who matter (i.e. Disney) how you're feeling.

I can already see the responses to this post:
    "Well, if you don't like it, then just leave."
    I am... right now.
  13. Super Scooter New Member

Hmmm. Well, I don't think you could really say *everyone*. I think that mainly a lot of the arguing and trouble has been from a few... um... "louder" individuals who are more... "open" about their opinion?

I realize a few of my posts in these threads have reiterized previous comments, and I apologize for that if it's caused anyone to leave. But I stand what I've said, and I don't personally feel I've said anything offensive... yet. The majority, I feel have not.

To reiterate, I'm sorry for my previous reitirations.

My posting in circles will end and I apologize for it.

Muchos apologies for my many rewordings of previous comments.
  14. dwmckim Well-Known Member

Disney had a real golden opportunity to showcase another character and turn Steve's unavailability into a strenth by doing something FUNNIER than rolling out Kermit to accompany Lady Gaga to the VMA's.

Yeah, they probably wanted Gaga and Kermit to go out since she made some waves wearing some "Kermit fashion" - but didn't she also wear an Animal outfit? Why not have had her date ANIMAL instead? That would have generated MORE publicity and have been much more HILARIOUS!
  15. lynxminx New Member

But his voice and his attitude are dead on for Jim Henson...the Kermit *I* know.

Steve is a formidable talent...I just took his class in Atlanta and loved the heck out of it, so I mean absolutely no disrespect...but...*gulp*...

...he plays Kermit with a naivete the original never had.

You could easily conflate Kermit's sense of wonder with naivete, but the original Kermit was 1. fully an adult, and 2. closer to enlightment than all the other characters. Though Henson gave him modesty, he's not one of the gang, not an average joe. He's calm, contented, aware and confident (even when he's freaking out). The others are drawn to him for this reason...his lack-of-wanting approximates wisdom.

It's easy for me to imagine Steve's Kermit getting excited or hyper or fanboyish on the red carpet with GaGa. Artie, if it was Artie, played Kermit the way I remember him: not phased at all by the spotlight or the chaos circling around him. It was...eerie. In a good way.

I believe it should be one muppet, one performer. And Steve was a performer Henson admired greatly, if he didn't select him outright to succeed as Kermit. The performer in this clip is a weak puppeteer. But it makes me wonder what could have been...
  16. Fozzie Bear Moderator

VERY good point! We're seeing Rowlf again, and Scooter. But, why couldn't we have seen Fozzie or Animal? Heck, Beaker would have been hilarious, but Steve was MIA at the time. What was wrong with using Gonzo, after all he would be a perfect match for lady Gaga!
  17. dwmckim Well-Known Member

The more i think about it, the more i so wish they would have gone that route. Think of it - after some suspenceful teasing of who's LG's date, it turns out to be Animal - even fancied up in a tux and top hat (which he eats). When asked for a comment from reporters/host, Animal replies "GOOGOO FOR GAGA! GOOGOO FOR GAGA!" When LG gives him a kiss, Animal's whole demeanor changes from wild to hit-by-Cupid's-arrow type trance purring "Sigh - Googoo Gaga..."
  18. Fozzie Bear Moderator

I afree. There are a ton more Muppet characters out there to use. I don't think anyone would fuss to see a character other than Kermit being spotlighted.
  19. Mupp Member

Welcome to the Internet. :cry: Sadly, that's what most people do.
    Disney fans as well, just look at the boards at mouseinfo.com. LOTS of negativity and mud slinging at that place (Last time I checked anyway, perhaps the place has cleaned up, I'm not sure)

I'm not here to cause problems. I just wanted to say that I was lucky enough to attend the Walt Disney Pictures keynote address at the D23 Expo and saw the Muppets on the Mark Twain boat.
    And while its true that it probably wasen't Steve performing Kermit (It was a pre-recorded song anyway) It was DEFINITELY STEVE'S VOICE. There is no doubt in my mind.

&feature=related
    I know that you can't hear much from this clip, but as the boat was leaving the stage, Kermit (pre-recorded) said something along the lines of "Enjoy the rest of D-2-3!" And it really sounded like Steve.
    Of course. There is a chance that I could be wrong, but honestly, I am sure that it was his voice.

Thanks for your time and I hope that I didn't step out of line here. :coy:

(By the way, in case anyone was wondering, "D" stands for Disney, and "23" is for 1923, the year that Walt Disney came to California and started what would ultimately become the Walt Disney Company.)
  20. Nick22 Active Member

we all knew it was steve at D23. i don't think anyone ever said that it wasn't. i don't even know where you got that from