Your Thoughts: Kermit and Miss Piggy on America's Got Talent

theprawncracker

Reaction score
RedPiggy said:
At what point did I say he was? You know why it takes forever for a character to be recast? Because they weren't bright enough to have an understudy while the performer was still performing. It seems it has finally started occurring to them that the performers aren't immortal or willing to spend an eternity with the Muppets. Explain to me how Steve dropping cold right now wouldn't end up with the character being silent again for maybe years until they found "someone" ... and then we would have the inevitable flame war afterward. I just don't get that last sentence -- what is the point of a backup if you don't intend to use it when it's needed? If Steve didn't have anything better to do with his day -- he would have been there. Simple as that. He wasn't. So they used the backup, rough as that was. I would much rather them be dealing with this now, not when Steve either quits or dies. I mean, Big Bird is iconic too -- I don't recall seeing this level of flame that it's heresy that Caroll Spinney isn't always in character.
I did say that I was all for having an understudy. I just don't see why it needed to be tested on such a big night. I wasn't insinuating that you thought that, by any means. I was just using your post as an example. Like I said, I did NOT mean it as an attack against you, I promise.

RedPiggy said:
However, I don't see where I'm too off the mark. I just don't write comedies. Feel free to write an article for your blog that discusses how I've ruined such a beloved character. I'm certain it would be educational.
Umm... I... was trying to say that you write Kermit very well--that's why you know it takes practice to get him right. And... wow. Thanks for punching the blog where I host your articles in the stomach.

Luke

Reaction score
If Steve didn't have anything better to do with his day -- he would have been there. Simple as that. He wasn't. So they used the backup, rough as that was.
How do you know that? From what "MuppetInsider" is saying this was a deliberate decision to experiment with Kermit and there has even been debate whether to keep Steve on. Maybe it wasn't the case Steve couldn't be there.

I agree with you they should have standby people who can perform the mainstream characters ready for if a performer retires etc ... and in fact, they have for many many years, it doesn't neccasarily mean they should start using them on worldwide prime time TV, and they seem to have done ok in the past when i'm sure they have had cases of performers going ill or whatever. They have usually looped and another Muppeteer just mime which would probably have been the best option for AGT if it realy was just a case of Steve not being available.

Beauregard

Reaction score
And since it sounds like you were commenting on my fics with Kermit in them..... Feel free to write an article for your blog that discusses how I've ruined such a beloved character. I'm certain it would be educational.
Mee-ow! I'm pretty sure he meant that as a compliment, young RedP. That you understand how hard it is to be Kermit -- because you've BEEN Kermit. Not that you don't understand Kermit and are not good at it...Deep breaths, people.

And also, I don't see any call whatsoever for you to personally INSULT themuppetmindset, a blog where your own articles have been posted and I know more have been waiting in line to go on there in time! Wow...

Seems Vic's comic was right...Alternate-Kermit really is pulling apart loyalties at the henson-stitch covered seams.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
P.S. I love how we are all weighing in on this with one opinion or anther. I haven't seen people this divided (and devoted) since Mwoo.
Bwahahaha, and I remember how chaotic that was! :batty:

I'm going to focus on the positive for a minute and say that Piggy looked and sounded fabulous, and I thought it was nice to hear them singing "Don't go breaking my heart", since we all know it was done on the muppet show; I think it's great to have a throwback like that, and also a good idea to perform something tried-and-tested successful on such a big stage.

But, I am in the boat of "Where was Steve?" I don't mean it in a mean way, like "it's stupid that he was gone!1111!1", which a few very passionate people have expressed here already (and good on you! Keep that fire a-burnin, it's nice to see). But I personally was thinking more along the lines of "What reason would keep Steve away from such a (relatively, compared to other recent performances) high-profile gig?" I don't think it would have been a deliberate decision to use a stand-in unless he couldn't be there, since Piggy/Eric Jacobsen was the real deal.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Looking over MuppetInsider's post history, he seems to have an axe to grind. I wouldn't look too far into what he says.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well could someone kind of seperate fact from rumors cause I'm confused.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yes, but Steve is also looking out for himself and maintaining some kind of consistent work. If he was not Kermit he would at this point have to start up his own line of work as he would not be able to make a living for himself.
So, with that said, good for him for having a somewhat decent gig for almost 20 years, however maybe not so good for the character, unfortunately.
All the Muppet performers have always been freelancers and that has never changed.

The Muppets are Steve's "line of work" as much as they were for Jerry Nelson and as much as they still are for Dave Goelz. He's been around since the first Muppet film and since the Muppet Show. He isn't only Kermit and he didn't just luck out with some gig. Steve's helped build the Muppets under Jim's direction beyond to total over 31 years! What the hey?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well could someone kind of seperate fact from rumors cause I'm confused.
The Kermit was definitely a substitute. We don't know why, but the "sessions" that are being discussed here are from several years ago when Disney was thinking about using performers for appearances like cruises and other such fill-in duties. They did this, of course, and fan reaction wasn't positive. From what I understand that's not going to be the case anymore, but who knows? The truth is - nobody knows what's up. My take is, the tv spot was a fluke and is unlikely to occur again.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
So what ever happend to the save the Muppet thing? Do we need to start that thing up again?