1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: Jerry Nelson Tribute at The Moving Image Museum

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Phillip, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Muppeteer Jerry Nelson’s life and work was celebrated on Saturday, October 27, at 2:00 p.m. at the Moving Image Museum in Astoria, New York. Muppeteers Dave Goelz, Fran Brill and Bill Barretta among others honored Nelson.

If you were at the Jerry Nelson Tribute at The Moving Image Museum today please post here and let us know your thoughts. We are also looking for a few folks to write about the event and to also submit any pictures or videos for publication on Muppet Central. Please start a private conversation with me if you're able to help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The original Jerry Nelson Muppet (1972), now on display at the Moving Image Museum in Astoria, New York.

Edit: Watch video of the Jerry Nelson Tribute here. Thanks Zach (Squigiman)!
  2. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

It was a beautiful event. I'm still collecting my thoughts... Seeing Steve Whitmire, Dave Goelz, Bill Barretta, Louise Gold, Matt Vogel, and a host of other Muppet alum, kind of broke my mind a little. :)

Honestly, I can't imagine a more beautiful tribute to Mr. Nelson and his work.
    Phillip likes this.
  3. Walter White

Walter White New Member

It was a touching tribute to Jerry. All of the speakers had such beautiful things to say about him and the clips that were chosen to be shown were fantastic.
  4. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

i really hope some videos surface soon :)
  5. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

I just heard this from a Matt Vogel's tweet. That was really nice of them to have a tribute about Jerry Nelson. I too hope for videos.
  6. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

Too bad I didn't get a chance to go because of a storm coming and that flag football game tomorrow and I wanted to go so badly.
  7. ProboSowa

ProboSowa Member

I got to attend. It was amazing to see quite a few Muppeteers pay tribute to Jerry with heartfelt introductions. The montages were great and testament to Jerry's wide range of talent. I also got to briefly talk with Louise Gold and Dave Goelz after it ended. (wish I could've said hi to more, but couldn't manage any more within the half-hour time) Both were fantastic and kind people.
  8. Squigiman

Squigiman Active Member

Hey Folks,
    I'm just coming to this thread, now, but I was one of those fortunate enough to attend this wonderful celebration of Jerry. It was, simply put, AMAZING! I can't begin to describe how cool it was, here. Only Dave, Fran, and Bill were listed as appearing on the official museum website, so I got knocked on my butt when discovering some of the "special surprises" that were in store. I got to meet a few more of the professional Muppeteers, as well as connecting with friends new and old, from past events and the Puppet Appreciation Society group on Facebook, and once more meeting and getting a pic with Dave (this time with my wife, who hadn't entered my life when the first one was taken), though it came out a little blurry.

All in all, it was fantastic, and The Jim Henson Legacy and Craig Shemin should be applauded for their continued efforts to celebrate the magic of this group of super-talented people that have enriched our lives, amongst so many others. I did get some video of the introductions to the various clips shown, and will hopefully get them all posted online to share, soon. To start off, here is the only actual segment I filmed (to save space on my Flip camera), a reel highlight just some of the MANY characters Jerry performed, with an introduction by Stephanie D'Abruzzo, who put it together. Enjoy!

-Zach
  9. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

Wow! That's great Squigman. Which other specific guests came on? Where they any actual Muppets that made live appearances?

Does anyone else have any reviews?
  10. FrackleFan2012

HubbaWhaFraggle likes this.
  11. Squigiman

Squigiman Active Member

Hey,
    I didn't mention who else was there, as I was hoping to reveal that by posting the videos, so I'll try to get them all up, very shortly. Otherwise, no actual Muppet characters in attendance, despite my originally figuring that to be amongst the surprises. I think doing this was a very emotional thing for all those who knew and worked with Jerry personally, as they were dressed pretty formally, so they kept it serious, in speaking as themselves, though of course there was room for laughter where appropriate, too, and there was one very special video from a character that couldn't attend, due to certain physical limitations. Again, I'll try to post the videos up, really soon.

-Zach
  12. FrackleFan2012

Who's that purple bird character's name from 9:12 to 9:16?
  13. FrackleFan2012

Here's a video posted by Squigman with Dave Goelz touching upon Jerry's life during the making of Fraggle Rock.

Bill Barretta
  14. FrackleFan2012

Here are several more speeches from the Muppeteers and Bonnie Erickson and a very special message from Snuffy of Sesame Street at the Jerry Nelson tribute posted by Squigman.

A Very Special Message from Snuffy

Louise Gold

Fran Brill

Matt Vogel

Bonnie Erickson
  15. Squigiman

Squigiman Active Member

Hey Everyone,
    It looks like FrackleFan beat me to the punch. No matter, as the videos are fully intended to be shared, so if someone else could before me, it doesn't matter. I think they're all up here, now, but either way, here's a link to the playlist I created, for your convenience: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLumtId7GemGYsjz58JXn-u81XMfGXqrJL. I'm so happy to be able to bring this footage to everyone online, so those who couldn't be there could appreciate it, and that those who were can enjoy reliving the amazing experience it was.

-Zach
  16. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

Thank you for bring those videos of the Jerry Nelson tribute Zach.
    That made us really happy!
    Walter and Squigiman like this.
  17. FrackleFan2012

Thanks. Was that clip reel and Snuffy's message the only videos displayed on the screen or was there more than that?
  18. muppetlover123

and where is steve whitmires speech thingy..?
  19. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

There was obviously more, the user stated before they couldn't record much, so they mostly got the intros.

Snuffy's video was heartbreaking.
    muppetlover123 likes this.
  20. muppetlover123

well i was just wondering if they have any videos of his yet...