Your Thoughts: It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Later tonight the long-awaited TV film, "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" is airing on NBC. Let us know what you think of the special. What were your favorite scenes? What would you like to have seen differently? What character were you most excited to see in the movie?

Also here is my review of the film. You may want to wait until you see the film to read it if you don't like knowing spoilers in advance.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/tv-film/christmas_movie.shtml

BoomShaKaLaKa

Reaction score
I'm enjoying this VERY MUCH so far. It's got about half an hour to go. But I have a big question:

Who is that doing Robin?

Oh my -- as I type this -- Beaker as a bouncer just popped on screen. That's HILARIOUS.

Scooter's not bad ... Janice isn't great ... but the movie itself is VERY ENTERTAINING in my opinion.

(murgatoad, feel free to tell me how many people disagree with my opinion. And be sure to throw in a winking smiley afterwards to try to make your cynicism seem OK. I'll be disappointed if you don't.)
:rolleyes:

Luke

Reaction score
Thats a cool and well written review Phillip, glad you liked it when you saw it - it really seems to be a step nearer getting things back to where they should be again. I see you are also aware that the Theatre set could become awfully familar next year !! :big_grin:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
loved it. thought the movie was great. voices were off, but i wasn't complaining. i thought the movie was funny. i thought lew zealand was halarious poping up wanting to get his act in the show. got tired of little hints that nbc produced the movie. but i enjoyed it..

as what sam the eagle would say: that was culture at its best!

ryan

scooter289

Reaction score
MAGNIFECO!!!!!!!!!!

I just finished watching the movie it was great. I truly thought the whole thing was funny. It had a real Muppet Twist and with the cast of Muppets in it, it's to good for words. I liked the voices of Janice and Scooter whoever did them should recieve praise. Even though Jerry Nelson wasn't credited in the movie, you could swear that it was hi doing the voices of all his characters (except Lew Zeland), I also think he did the voice of the announcer for the Muppet Christmas Show. When Daniel (David Arquette) showed Kermit how it would be if he had never been born I thought that the version of Beaker as a bouncer was hillarious with his buff body. All the voices we're done well too. So kudos to the Muppet performers and the whole company for such a good job.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
A Solid B from the Frogboy

Spoilers here, but then why would you enter this thread? LOL!

This was a great special. Okay, about twenty minutes could have been cut out and saved for a special edition DVD, but this has to be my favorite Muppet special to date. There is a difference in specials and movies because they function on different levels. Despite some pacing problems, it's packed with Muppety goodness.

I liked Scooter and Sam in the club. In fact, it's my favorite part! It was rather disturbing and that's what I found fun. I actually found Beaker's biceps more disturbing, but liked that too. The purists must remember that this is an alternate reality.

Who the heck is doing Jerry's characters? Robin sounded off, but passable. Lew was a little strange, especially his laugh. I couldn't tell who was doing Stalter or Pops.

Sam is the only character that should have been recast. The rest where really close. Fozzie amazed me. Yes, it's different, but as close as possible. It can only get better.

Janice sounded odd too, but I'm glad she's back so I don't mind. I completely endorse Brian Henson as Scooter. He captures the wit and mannerisms of the character and has a similar voice. None of the replacements were as jarring as Steve's Kermit was over a decade ago (he's really grown into it though).

The story, well...it could have been better. I didn't like Pepe as a bad guy. He was funny! The casting was pretty good - yes, even Whoopi. (I know, shoot me now.) And the fan site comment cracked me up!

I can't wait to watch this without trying to spot everything. I am certain this was shot in HD Widescreen and that's probably what has delayed the DVD version. Such scenes like Scooter talking to some babes backstage and the theater meeting expose that the frame was filled with much more information. But we got the gist of it. A widescreen version will be well worth the wait.

Solid B

the_great_gonzo

Reaction score
Wow. I'm in shock. I loved it. Loved it . Loved it. Loved it. I know truly know what the word heartwarming means. I just had a good feeling inside after it ended. It had everything. When they first showed the after-party at the beginning showing all the muppets a huge smile grew on my face. First let me discuss the new character voices:

Fozzie:stick_out_tongue:erfect. Jacobson pefectly captured the right tone in Fozzie's voice.

Piggy:another perfect for Jacobson. Could hardly even tell the difference between his and Oz's.

Scooter:Great. Could tell it was different but still great.

Janice:a little bit too deep, but still really good.

Rowlf:big_grin:idn't say that much but sounded good from what I heard.

Animal:Really good. A little gruff but still good.

Sam:stick_out_tongue:robably the most-off one. It was ok but Sam just sounded too much like Yoda.

I loved the story and it had so many great and well-written references and lines. There's so many I can't even name right now. Here's another thing. First off I was happy just to have a song in the movie but to have it sung by Gonzo. It's probably one of the best Muppet songs in a long time. I can't wait to watch it again. I really hope they release a special edition DVD of this. They could have some great stuff on it. Deleted scenes. A commentary with Kermit,Piggy,Gonzo,Pepe and David Arquette maybe. :smile: The only thing that kind of upset me was that NBC cut off Fozzie beginning to sing just to show an ad for American Dreams. :mad: Anyway I absolutely loved it and can say that the future looks very bright for the muppets.

monkeymuppet

Reaction score
I just got finished watching the movie and I loved it. It was a lot better then KSY. Since I took 3 pages of notes (i'm such a geek) I pick a few things from them.

*I loved them comment about Gonzo's mold collection.
*Janice and Scooter were pretty good. Their personalities are still there and I'm sure their voices will get better too.
*Sam's hair and voice scared me.
*What happened to Jerry?
*I hated the croc hunter and the grinch. Fozzie was adorable and funny looking but I didnt like the whos.
*The kermie statue was awesome.
* "muppet internet fan site" yeah buddy!
*Doc Hopper!
*I loved the club scene, maybe because I'm young. Scooter looked great. It would be cool if palisades made a rave Scooter. I'm just glad that what he did would only happen if Kermie wasn't born because its really out of character for him.
*Kermit kissed Piggy? Whats up w/ that?
*The voice dubbing thing at the end was funny.
*The songs were wonderful. Its nice to hear new Muppet songs.
This movie was so great. I just hated all of NBC's plugs... My grandfather evened laughed and he never laughs, especially @ the Muppets. & My mom is now a Pepe and Bobo fan. She'll have to join the BBB. Thats all I have to say for now. I need spell check.

~megan~

EmmyMik

Reaction score
First Impressions

I liked it. A nice step in the right direction.

Anyway, here are my thoughts...

--Kermit is back. Kermit was going in the "Golly Gosh, I'm ALWAYS Happy" direction. Here he actually shows some emotion. He shows that he's as human as a frog can get.

--Loved, loved, loved the Christmas special spoofs. "Get out of shot you Burl Ives wannabe." "I'm thuck!" "I triple frog dare ya."

--Doc Hopper's. 'Nuff said.

--"No, no. It's a different sort of smell."

--Fozzie! Finally. He's not dumb, he's got a big heart, but he bumbles.

--Scooter and Janice. It's great to have them back! They're voices aren't 100% perfect. However, if we're expecting their voices to sound like they came right out of 1978, then we're living in a fantasy world.

--"You don't run one of those Muppet internet fan sites, do you?" (Ok, I fell off my bed, and laughed so hard at that)

--Yoda

--Pepe. I felt he was used wonderfully. But I love Pepe.

Overall, it was good. Not spectacular, but a great step in the right direction. It's great to see the Muppets in a new production *in* character.

I'll have to watch it again to organize my thoughts, but right now, I'm happy.

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Originally posted by monkeymuppet
My mom is now a Pepe and Bobo fan. She'll have to join the BBB.
**Hands monkeymuppet's mom a muffin**

:big_grin: