Your Thoughts: Half-hour Sesame Street begins on PBS September 1, 2014

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wasn't going to bother with today's episode, other than the fact I actually liked the street story. But it seemed better cut than yesterday's. But it struck me the real problem is the run time. Sesame Street is a 50 something minute show with commerc...err """"""""sponsors"""""""" While it's obvious that the over 10 minute not story segments are cut (ETM, Elmo's World, Abby's Flying Fairy School), the flow of Sesame Street's new 24 minute (or less, didn't time it) runtime including end and opening credits leaves something to be desired.

WorldOfSesame

Reaction score
In my area, the half-hour version airs in the morning and the hour version airs in the afternoon. Is it like that for other areas? Also, I don't get the half-hour version until tomorrow.
In my area, Shapliegh, Maine, we get MPBN for a station. On at 10 AM we get the hour version and at 2:00 PM is the half hour, followed by The Cat In The Hat. 3 hours later is a delay on the newer station which replaced MPBN-Maine Capital Connections (a goverment of me run channel on 26-4, 26-3 is WORLD, 26-2 IS THE SAME AS 26-1.)

TheWoodringman

Reaction score
In my area, my PBS is showing the hour-long SS twice a day, like some have said like they used to....I guess my PBS isn't getting the half-hour version

Kresblain

Reaction score
Looking back on it, Sesame Street was the first and only 60-minute PBS Kids show. Sure the format has changed a bit much since their glory years, mostly due to Elmo's popularity and stuff... I'm surprised they never spun off the Elmo/Abby segments into their own shows. Guess we'll see what becomes of the half-hour rehash of this season's episodes.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
My thoughts on splitting off Elmo/Abby as separate shows is that they'd probably be aired alongside the original show, so they might as well keep them part of the full-hour.

FunnyBear

Reaction score
By me, the half hour version airs 2:30 on 13 and at I think 4:00 on Kids Thirteen.

Drtooth

Reaction score
My thoughts on splitting off Elmo/Abby as separate shows is that they'd probably be aired alongside the original show, so they might as well keep them part of the full-hour.
That's an unfortunate reality. Sure, the longer segments are usually paired together internationally as their own shows. As for here, as I said earlier, what the heck are they going to do with the extra time on the show proper if they refuse to show anything earlier than the HD era unless they decide they need to, but on an inconsistent basis? Spinning off EW as its own show would have been novel 15 years ago, just not now with Abby and the rest. If anything, the half hour Sesame does the opposite.

Somehow a half hour is too short, and an hour is too much.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
That's an unfortunate reality. Sure, the longer segments are usually paired together internationally as their own shows. As for here, as I said earlier, what the heck are they going to do with the extra time on the show proper if they refuse to show anything earlier than the HD era unless they decide they need to, but on an inconsistent basis? Spinning off EW as its own show would have been novel 15 years ago, just not now with Abby and the rest. If anything, the half hour Sesame does the opposite.

Somehow a half hour is too short, and an hour is too much.
Is this on all PBS stations because I'm not seeing it anywhere in my local TV listings? Is there a different title for the show. Because I'm looking under "Sesame Street" and I'm only getting the regular hour version of the show.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Is this on all PBS stations because I'm not seeing it anywhere in my local TV listings? Is there a different title for the show. Because I'm looking under "Sesame Street" and I'm only getting the regular hour version of the show.
There's no different title.