Your Thoughts: Ed Sullivan Muppets Magic DVD

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Even though the Ed Sullivan-Muppets DVD won't be released until next week, we have a detailed prevew of this release for you. Featuring photos and info on every sketch included on this DVD, find out what you can look forward to on this anticipated title.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/merchandise/muppets_magic_dvd.shtml

Let us know what you think about the review and the upcoming DVD.

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
After reading that review I'm thinking I'm going to purchase that DVD. I love classic Henson stuff. It's interesting to see where some of my favorite TMS and SS sketches originated.

But I agree of your assessment of the cover of that DVD. It didn't look well planned at all!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I can see how hard it would be to create a cover for the DVD. I'm sure there aren't many good source images. At least it is not misleading. They could have easily placed a modern Kermit on the cover with a couple of monsters and confused customers. It does look like a fan creation though. My main page composition took 30 minutes and it's probably just as good. Wasn't thrilled with it, but it doesn't appear the graphic artist took much time or care with the cover. Just goes to show you can't judge by the cover. :wink: :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
Reading Phil's review I am extremely excited about getting this. With an MSRP of $10 bucks, and for the first time a dvd solely devoted to rare archival footage(a first I beliece) this is really something special. I hope there is more to come, such as the TMS pilots, sam and friends, and other rare stuff.

The dvd cover, of yeah it looks like a 5 year old whipped it up, but Im assuming this company putting it out wasnt afforded acess to modern Muppet pix or layouts...even tho JHC ok'd this, its an independent realease I think. Thats a first for a Muppet related dvd.

scarecroe

Reaction score
I made my own cover a couple weeks ago when the official art was released...

http://scarecroe.com/files/sullivan-dvd-01.jpg

...but it would appear that one sketch from which I took a screenshot didn't make it onto the DVD. Am I correct in assessing that the "monster piano" sketch with Kermit didn't make it?

It's the one in the middle at the bottom of my fan art.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I'm drooling over the pictures right now. :excited: I don't want to read the article till I play the DVD myself. But there's lots of good stuff there!

BTW, Ryan on TP points out that Amazon has changed the release date to Sep. 2:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AGQ2P/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/102-1592227-9191369

Not sure why the change was made. Maybe they thought Muppet fans couldn't afford to buy all 3 DVDs in one week. Or maybe they plan to fix that admittedly goofy cover.

I'm surprised (but happy) that the Big Bird clip and the prototype Cookie Monster clip are on here. I guess Henson worked it out with Sesame Workshop to allow this.

I'm not sure why those last two sketches are called "extra features," since they seem to be just more sketches, nothing special about them. What I would have liked to have seen for an extra feature is the appearance of the Muppets on the 1992 Ed Sullivan Christmas special, where they performed an all-cast version of "It Feels Like Christmas." No one seems to have a complete copy of this. Or if the rights were tied up with Disney, fine--but I wish Disney had put this on their MCC DVD, then.

Anyway, this is a MINOR quibble. I never thought in a million years I'd get to see this stuff released on DVD, so color me a thrilled Muppet fan. :smirk: Thanks for the update, Phil!

scarecroe

Reaction score
This is the sketch that appears to be missing...

http://scarecroe.com/files/sullivan01.rm
right-click to save target to your hard drive
video file is 2.5mb and requires RealOne Player

Kermit plays "Tea For Two," and some other song I can't identify. I wonder which of the two caused the problem in securing rights.

"Tea For Two" is on the Harry Belafonte DVD after all... and I can't imagine that being the song that was so hard to get the rights for.

Anyone know what the other song is?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Fantastic skit. Thanks for sharing it. I thought that song was in the public domain by now. The thing about having all these songs is that they might have to drop some to pay for others. Maybe they saw it as a weaker skit. Don't see why. That's the only theory I can come up with. It is a shame. My thinking is that they could at least play the clip sans sound with the credits rolling over it.

scarecroe

Reaction score
I doubt it had to do with dropping some to pay for others, especially in this case. I mean, how much can Tea For Two cost? Columbia paid for it.

If I can get my hands on the remaining sketches, I'll digitize those and share em too. Hopefully it will garner additional interest in purchasing the DVD.

Crap, which reminds me, I meant to include an ad for that at the end of the clip. I'll be changing that.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
That is AWESOME, Scott! Where on earth did you get that clip from? I assume it's not a special feature on the Harry Belafonte DVD.