Your Thoughts: Authentic Gonzo Replica

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean to imply that product quality was easier with an inexpensive action figure. The point I was trying to make was that as the dollar amount for the item goes down, so does one's expectations of accuracy.

As for how they could have assured better eye placement, how about a template that would fit over the eyeballs with a vertical piece coming down from the top (inside the "white" portion of the eye) that ended exactly where the pupil should be placed. I'm just spitballing off the top of my head, but there has to be a better way to quality control it.

:stick_out_tongue:
Sorry if you thought I was pointing that particular comment your way. I was referring to the point made by a few other members that the different methods used to make action figures causes greater accuracy in things like eye focus. I actually agree with you and like your method. It appears that they picked the front center placement on each eye bulb rather than the central character focus. Some sort of stencil or template would have helped. I will say it is challenging to get them just right by hand. The wheels seem to have fallen off the wagon on that one with the factory.

Ignohippo

Reaction score
Once again, I am happy that so many of you are thrilled with him.

But...

Doing modifications on a $20 Palisades toy is one thing, but having to do modifications on a $300 "replica" is just unacceptable.

Many of you on here are artists, puppeteers and puppet builders and possess the skills to "fix" these, but many others aren't and don't.

Although we've only met briefly, I consider Anthony a friend, so I don't want him to take any offense at this, but I think he should have rated Gonzo slightly lower because you have to do the work yourself to make it right.

If he was a $300 kit, well, that would be a different story. Then I would expect to do the work myself, but that isn't the way he's being marketed or sold. And you shouldn't have to make excuses, "If you blur your eyes just right, you hardly notice the netting." Or, "You get used to it after a while."

After everything I've seen, those are still my thoughts.

I agree with your line of thinking whole-heartedly and shared your views exactly until I got Gonzo for myself (I was even very prepared to send him back or sell him on ebay). But honestly, he's much, much better in person than you would imagine from the pictures. I actually could've left his pupils the way they were and still been okay with it.

I completely understand your feelings that they should be perfect out of the box. I think MR has done an incredible job giving us the replicas in an almost-perfect state, but these just seem to be the type of items that take a bit of tweaking.

It seems lie such a shame because they are so darned close and the slightest bit of tweaking makes them so much better. With Animal, if they just could've gotten his hair tamed before leaving the factory, not made the mistake with the tongue and painted his eyelids black, he would've been completely perfect. With Gonzo, better pupil placement and a bit of trimming of the fur around his eyes would've also made a big difference. The nose is what it is, and I don't think (now that I have him) any other material would've worked any better, or as well as the solution they came up with.

These things seem to be kinda like a baseball glove: it would be great if they came oiled up, soft and ready-to-go as soon as you but them off the shelf. But to truly get the glove the way you want it, you have to break it in.

Telly

Reaction score
I just paid for my Gonzo! Only $231.somechange! That's cheaper than the site was selling for it! Guess who's excited! :search:

Luke

Reaction score
If he was a $300 kit, well, that would be a different story. Then I would expect to do the work myself, but that isn't the way he's being marketed or sold. And you shouldn't have to make excuses, "If you blur your eyes just right, you hardly notice the netting." Or, "You get used to it after a while."
That's kinda how i felt - you shouldn't be making excuses in a review or having to purchase these with the understanding you will have to modify it - most people can't. I do understand that these look somewhat better in person though and that if the review was very forgiving then thats Anthonys personal opinion towards them and shows his support of the line as a fan. It's not a criticism of him, more a statement that he shouldnt have had to do that and Master Replicas should be living upto their name.

I'm already having nightmares about moving Animals brow fur down to cover the eyelid shell ... fixing the eyes on Gonzo? I know its probably simple to some here but i would be scared of messing up a $300 purchase.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Once again, I am happy that so many of you are thrilled with him.

But...

Doing modifications on a $20 Palisades toy is one thing, but having to do modifications on a $300 "replica" is just unacceptable.

Many of you on here are artists, puppeteers and puppet builders and possess the skills to "fix" these, but many others aren't and don't.

Although we've only met briefly, I consider Anthony a friend, so I don't want him to take any offense at this, but I think he should have rated Gonzo slightly lower because you have to do the work yourself to make it right.

After everything I've seen, those are still my thoughts.

Howdy Earl! FYI, I would never take offense to anyone else's opinion, 'specially yours! We are all entitled to our own thoughts.

Like Ignohippo, I was fully prepared to return my Gonzo or sell him on eBay if I didn't love him, thankfully that wasn't the case.

Yeah, sometimes I wish they could've found a way to replicate the Scott foam more closely, and it is a little irritating expecting to modify the pupil placement & other aesthetic issues upon arrival, so I can totally see where you're coming from. I do know that you were, what - the first fan to see MR's Gonzo in person right? You've had longer to think on this than most of us.

BUT, maybe you should just get a Gonzo and I'll fix him up next time I'm in L.A. Town. Eh? :big_grin:

I'm not sure where I was trying to go with this post, maybe just agreeing to disagree? LOL, as only real friends can. You're the best Earl! BTW, do you know if Kevin got himself a Gonzo? I'd like to hear his input on this as well.

Cheers!
:smile:
Anthony

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score

Ignohippo

Reaction score
Ok guys, I think I got him finish FINALLY! Here he is and now I can say that I am REALLY happy with him. He looks dead on like the GREAT Gonzo. But then again, if you don't that's ok too.

Enjoy.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb82/tsmert/NewGonzo2.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb82/tsmert/NewGonzo1.jpg
Looks awesome! The perfect Gonzo.

I sympathize because everything Earl and Luke are saying is EXACTLY what I was saying before he arrived. I couldn't have been more wrong about Gonzo. I would put his likeness (even with the googly eyes) somewhere between Kermit and Animal.

Luke

Reaction score
I sympathize because everything Earl and Luke are saying is EXACTLY what I was saying before he arrived. I couldn't have been more wrong about Gonzo. I would put his likeness (even with the googly eyes) somewhere between Kermit and Animal.
I know what you all mean, and totally believe it. It's just errm you have made your Gonzo look tremendous and if i took scissors to mine we would be talking Edward Scissorhands, lol. I do really like him without the suit, but then again classic look was never my favorite so its not that the suit isn't great.

You oughta go into the Wierdo Customization business .. in fact a few people round here should.

Ignohippo

Reaction score
Ah, in hindsight, you could probably get the same effect by just wetting your fingers and pushing the hair down. The fur that was trimmed was pretty minimal.