Your Sesame Street VHS tape collections

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Nice! I've got a number of Sesame Street VHS tapes in my collection. There are still some that have never been released to DVD and so are worth having just for that reason. But there is something nostalgic about it too, I suppose- though I don't consider VHS all that old of a format. (Especially considering I remember when Beta was the big thing and the whole move over to VHS as the new kid on the block...) And of course, before that, I remember watching 16mm film strips and such as a kid at church.
I think I may have some of the "My Sesame Street Home Video" tapes with the original booklet and all. I know I've run across some at various thrift stores. I'm sure you can find good deals on Ebay too, but I would definitely recommend checking all the local thrift stores first- you can usually find VHS tapes and specifically Sesame Street (or Muppets in general) tapes in abundance.
I will have to look through my VHS collection to see what all I still have- I used to have more but there came a point when I needed to consolidate for space and had to part with some. But there are some that are favorites that I definitely wanted to hold on to- when I get a chance, I'll try to post a list of them.
Offhand, I know I have my VHS copies of "Don't Eat the Pictures (Sesame Street at the Metropolitan Museum of Art)" and the "Big Bird's Story Time" VHS tape (mainly because it features some great Sesame Street News Flash sketches with Kermit of course- and even features new footage of Kermit at the end with Big Bird and Snuffy!)
:smile: :wisdom:(I'm a big fan of Kermit the Frog and specifically Kermit on Sesame Street.)

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
So remember what I was saying about checking thrift stores for Sesame Street VHS tapes? I was just looking in around in one of the local Goodwill stores yesterday and I picked up a nice copy of the My Sesame Street Home Video VHS release of "Play Along Games and Songs"- with the original booklet! Score!:smile::wisdom::super: (This is the Random House reissue.)

(If nothing else, gotta love this one just for featuring Forgetful Jones! And they even have him on the cover on the Sony Wonder rerelease VHS and DVD!):insatiable:

Last edited:

mimitchi33

Reaction score
I only have Elmo In Grouchland: Sing And Play and the VHS of the movie it was based on. We gave all our Sesame Street tapes to the church (That and recorded tapes of Fox Family pre-school shows. I wish we still had them...)

DePingPong

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper, I just ordered a copy of that online, the same reissue. I found it at a thrift shop for $.50 in 3rd grade, but have since lost it so I'm happy to have a new copy. Unsure if it has the booklet though, I have almost every My Sesame Street Home Video VHS in box, last two I need are A New Baby in my House and Learning About Letters. I also just got my hands on The Best of Ernie and Bert in box too :big_grin:

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
So remember what I was saying about checking thrift stores for Sesame Street VHS tapes? I was just looking in around in one of the local Goodwill stores yesterday and I picked up a nice copy of the My Sesame Street Home Video VHS release of "Play Along Games and Songs"- with the original booklet! Score!:smile::wisdom::super: (This is the Random House reissue.)

(If nothing else, gotta love this one just for featuring Forgetful Jones! And they even have him on the cover on the Sony Wonder rerelease VHS and DVD!):insatiable:
Awesome find! If possible, would you mind scanning images for the booklet in this thread?: http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/...-home-video-activity-book-photos.52043/page-2

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, I will see about doing that...may take me a little while though (all that annoying "real life" stuff that gets in the way of such projects- lol:smile:)
Okay- well, I got the pictures taken! I will try to have them all up in the appropriate thread tomorrow if I get a chance.:busy::electric::fanatic:

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, I will see about doing that...may take me a little while though (all that annoying "real life" stuff that gets in the way of such projects- lol:smile:)
No biggie- I can definitely relate to life problems!

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Thanks.:smile: Well, as it happens- I got it done a lot faster than I thought would...the photos have been posted. (Sorry if not all are the best; it was tricky to get the book steady to take pictures for all of it.)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's great to see all those scans from the Count It Higher activity book. Interesting how Grover is drawn in it despite not being in the video itself (but then again, the Play-Along Songs activity book has Little Bird, who's not in the video).

Also interesting that most of the pages for songs from one-shot/seldom seen characters, they avoid showing the lead singer (though Dr. Thad is drawn with the lyrics to The Ten Commandments of Health). Dissapointing how the image for Do De Rubber Duck is just Ernie in the tub, as opposed to Ernie and everyone else that was in the song. I think this is also the first time I read the lyrics in an official printing, and wondered what they'd do with all the different character lines (by now I would have expected it to be written in script form... and yet it's not).