1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Sesame Street Era

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by BooberFraggless, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Cookie fan

Cookie fan New Member

I was born in 1972 and I was not privileged to see the very first episode or the first Gordons but I do remember some great vintage stuff. I watched Sesame Street until 1989. Boy, do I miss those great episodes!
  2. superboober

superboober Member

My main religious period was from about 1983 when I was 1 to about 1989. I've tuned in sporadically after that.
  3. Chris Von Count

Chris Von Count New Member

I was born in '76 so I watched from about '78 until the end of the 80's. I tried to watch a show or two now but it just isn't the same anymore:(. They don't have all the cool, and neat skits, and cartoons, and films that most of us grew up on.. unless you get Noggin which will show some of the old episodes time to time. I used to have DVR for a while and set it to tape Sesame Street Unpaved in the AM so when I came home after work in the evening I would watch.

I belong to youtube.com and I am pleased to see that some other people out there have found some of the classic skits, cartoons, and songs and have been adding them to the site I have several SS skits added into my favorites list.

-Bert and Ernie skit where Bert is trying to give his nephew Brad a bath.
    -The Golden AN skit.
    -The Crow and the Fox cartoon.
    -The cartoon of the morphing alphabet.
    -The school cartoon.

I had the "That's a horse" film at one point (which was one of my favorite films) but silly me I think I ended up removing it from my list of favorites, and now it seems it is no longer on the site.
  4. helpers

helpers New Member

I started watching around 75. Everyday is was part of my routine along with Captain Kangaroo. I guess 75-80.
  5. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Noggin is no longer showing the older SS shows.
  6. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

I watched the show from Season One onward...and only recently stopped. The Sesame Street I remember most would have to be the "golden age" 70s episodes; the 80s had me wondering "what the hey?" with new characters and "around the corner", but still felt like decent programming. But after the early 90s...that's when I learned the usefulness of channel-changing. *LOL*
  7. fozziegod

fozziegod New Member

1970's and beyond

:) I started watching in the early 70's. I began watching it again in 1999 when my daughter was born. It was nice to see alot of the segments that I remembered being shown again. :excited:
  8. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

I think I caught the tail end of what I'd call the "good stuff". I was born in '85, and I stopped watching it about 1994. So I left before Elmo took over. I saw the last stuff that Richard and Jim did, so I'm glad I can say that.
  9. Marky

Marky Member

:p

I was born in 1973, so I guess my era starts somewhere around season seven (1975-1976) until when The Empire Strikes Back came out! I remember laughing in the theatre with my brother when Yoda spoke saying "Grover! Grover!"
  10. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

why did your brother start saying that? please explain.
  11. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

Um, because Yoda sounds a little like Grover? :crazy:
  12. Chris Von Count

Chris Von Count New Member

Man that sucks:( :mad: :boo:
  13. BillKal

BillKal New Member

I probably watched SS from 1974-1984 or 85.
  14. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Watching it all my life as well expect for the 99-2002 probley. But I would say that I watch it all the way from 1983-1995 or so. Loved every bit of it. But yea I say I stoped around when they stopped showing during the days. I would get home from school and watch it around 5 to 6 and then it stopped showing around those times and only showed around 7 and 11 in the morning. And then the newer episodes started and I wanted to see what they were all about. So now I watch when I get a chance or record them so I can see any of the newer episodes that I missed of last year.
  15. furshur

furshur New Member

Man! I keep accidently changing the page on my computer when I'm typing a reply and I have to start over. Here goes.

I watched SS throughout the 70's, some 80's, and a bit in the 90's. I would definately call my era the 70's. I had the tv schedules memorized and watch every show I could. On each day every showing was the same episode, but I didn't care. In Jr. High I remember some girls making fun of me for wearing a Kermit the Frog watch. I just now figured out why, I didn't know it was geeky to like SS in JHS. When I was babysitting, I watched with those kids, when I had a daughter I watched it with her.
  16. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Just to ask. What is your avatar of? I just now looked and couldn't tell expect for Big Bird's foot. Could you share the picture please?
  17. furshur

furshur New Member

18. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Oh I love that guy. He's funny. Thats one of my favorite secnes from Elmopaloza.
  19. splitenz

splitenz New Member

My Sesame "Era"

I was born in 1972, and I am told that we always had Sesame on the TV, since we had access to public television even then (and not much else). I remember playing sick in kindergarten so that I could stay home, then waiting for my mom to go back to bed so I could sneak back downstairs and watch Sesame (very quietly). I wasn't very stealth, and I got caught. :p

I have been looking at the YouTube clips, and I recognize every one from the 70s and early 80s. I must have watched a lot of Sesame! I remember tuning in now and then during the 80s and 90s, depending on the age of my younger cousins, and I always got sucked right back in, regardless of my own age.

Now I have a three year-old, and we have watched Sesame daily since she was about 15 months old. We never miss it, and we have tons of official SS videos as well.

As for my era, it would have to be the early- to mid-70s, as that has the nostalgia factor for me. Not to mention, the show was targeted to an older audience (maybe 6 yr-olds?) and it just seemed smarter and more "street."

As a relatively new Mommy, I have recently been overtaken by this externally-imposed obsession with getting my girl into the "right preschool" for NEXT FALL (6 months away). There are fees, applications, AUDITIONS and all kinds of crazy hoops to jump through. I can truthfully say that I have invested more thought, effort and money into getting her into a preschool than I put into finding, applying to, and being accepted into, colleges as a teenager.

I asked my mom what she did all those years ago. She said that they didn't have any local preschools. It wouldn't have mattered anyway, as we didn't have the money. But that was ok, beause we had Sesame Street.
  20. JLG

JLG Member

Born in '82, so my memories of SS would start around '85 or '86. Honestly, though, my memories don't get specific until '89 or so---I seem to remember quite a few stories from that period. I was actively seeing it all the time up through '92 or so, and so was around to see the theme song change. I never did stop watching, really. I always kept tabs on it out of casual fondness, catching it when I could. At one point in eighth grade ('96-'97) I was watching it most days when I got home--again just out of casual interest. So I didn't really miss any major changes. My casual fondness turned to strong interest in '99 when I saw some '70s eps at the TV Museum in NYC---I had never realized until then just how the tone had changed over time, and what a fun show it was. And seeing the '70s eps was sort of surreal---here was basically the same show that I knew as a kid, but grittier, more wisecracky, and unabashedly dated. Like seeing a familiar world through a slightly distorted lens. I'd found out at age 6 that SS had started in 1969 and had wanted to see what it was like then, but hadn't gotten the chance to find out before. I catch it when I can, now, (which isn't often) just to keep on top of it.

So I would count myself in the "middle period". Kids born after about 1995 or so would only remember the newer formats and Elmo's World, but kids in the 80s and early '90s were still seeing a lot of 15 and 20-year-old recycled films. I'm not going to knock the new format on its own terms. It is what it is, and it probably does teach kids better than the old one, but I still think it's too bad that just when the earliest SS viewers are getting to the point when they're having kids in large numbers, they're deprived of the experience of watching it with their kids and reexperiencing familiar memories. That would have been nice....