Your Sesame Street Era

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i gues the 1st 20 years of it though I probably favor the 1st 5 years of the series due to the fact I wasn't around or old enough to have seen years between 1969-1974 and it was interesting to have what they were like.including some of the short lived cast members durring the early 70s.

Xerus

Reaction score
I was born in 1970. But I remember SS was the very first TV show I ever watched. I loved it, except for the few scary skits and cartoons that had me running out of the room. And I'm still watching it to this very day. :smile:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Definitely in the 1980s!!! And I watched it through the most of the 1990s and every now and then when I catch an episode on PBS or on Noggin. (Although with the current ones, I generally tune out about 15 minutes toward the end! :grouchy: I don't hate Elmo, but I can only take so much of Elmo's World.)
But the specials and movies are great too and the great video releases from the 1980s, filled with tons of classic sketches! And Play with Me Sesame shows a bunch of cool classic sketches too! And on a side note, I finally watched Elmo in Grouchland earlier this year and I have to admit it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might have been. :cool:

sarevan

Reaction score
The Wonder Years....

I was born in 71 and have always been told that my Mom started watching it before I was born...

I watch it now with my 3 kids...

But...the 70'S.....Maaaaaaaaaaaaan...those were the days!

:smile:

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
I was born in 1971, so pretty much 1974-1978.

My older sister saw it from day one - November 10, 1969-on.

She said that even as a kid, she remembers the hoopla and endless promotion counting down the days to Sesame Street premiere.

You couldn't avoid it. It was kinda like the Desperate Housewives of its day.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I was born in 1968 so I've been there since Day One (even though I hardly remember much as a one-year-old, except we had a black-and-white tv, so I didn't get to see Sesame Street in glorious Technicolor until 1971). After my prime years 1969-77, I still tune in to this day, but nothing will ever top the first five years of the show.

Thanks to my best friend Mokeystar for sharing all the Unpaved episodes with me, and reuniting me with Orange Oscar and Brown Grover :smile:

ssetta

Reaction score
My main era was from 1992-94. Then for 1994-95, I kinda stopped watching it, just because I felt I was too old. Then I got back into it a little bit for the 1995-96 season, but then I felt I had to stop watching it, so I could be like most kids. Even during the period where I wasn't normally watching, sometimes I would watch it if I was flipping through the channels and there was nothing else on. But then, one day, during the next season, it was during April Vacation, and I saw ALL THESE CLIPS that I remembered from when I was younger, I became HOOKED. The first one I caught that really brought back memories was the song called "Baby's Life." That was a song with a baby girl singing in a discotheque in her crib. The chorus went "I'm a baby (ga ga goo goo wa wa wa wa)," and that instantly brought back memories. Then, I HAD to watch a complete episode, and I caught one where Oscar's niece Irvine kept wanting more ice cream, but Oscar explained that it would give her a tummy ache. And then they sang the song "We Love Trash", which was originally "I Love Trash", and that brought back memories as well. And the day after that, there was a sketch where Guy Smiley brought his entire audience to lunch, and they had to count all the members, and they found 39, but they didn't have a chair for Guy Smiley himself!! So that's how I got back into the show.

However, my parents did warn me that people would make fun of me, and they didn't feel comfortable with me getting back into it, and I have gotten a lot of flak for it. And a lot of kids in my grade watched "Arthur" and "Magic School Bus", so I thought then maybe they'd like "Sesame Street", since it was on the same channel, but nope. But I will always love the show, and nothing will stop me from loving it.

Fuzzy and Blue

Reaction score
I was born in 1989, so I think my main era was from about 1990 to about 1992...in 1992 (at age 3), I was freaked out after seeing "The Word is No," so my "forced" main era (my mom had to desensitize me by squeezing me between her knees and making me watch SS) was from 1992 to about early 1997. sometimes I turn SS on when no one is looking to see if I can find any classic material, and I have seen some things I recognize, but I've been picking up the vibes that especially my mom and brother think it's weird that i'm into SS.

~Dana~

zrs70

Reaction score
I was born in 19870, and SS was a staple in our home. I would actually enjoy watching it through high school, and even at times into college. But once the format changed, I couldn't tollerate it anymore.

You see, the old format spoke to both adults and children. The new format seemed to dumb things down. The muppets used to be quasy adults. Now they all come across as babies.