Your Muppet mistakes

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't know if they should be counted as mistakes as much as messed-up memories, but there's a few episodes of The Muppet Show that I only saw on Nickelodeon once, and not again until they were released on DVD, and had things that I remembered differently.

For example, the John Denver episode has a number of things I don't remember seeing on the Nickelodeon broadcast, like the "Why Can't We be Friends?" number, Gonzo's conversation with John, The Swedish Chef making squirrell stew, and the "Happy Wanderer" number. I read which one was cut on Nickelodeon but can't remember which one it was. For years I had thought The Magic Garden number was the opening number. And when I first saw a brief clip from that in the promo for the Playhouse Video releases, I thought it took place underwater.

Another such mistake/misremembering was the Mr. Bassman number in the Mumenschaz episode. For some reason I had misremembered how it started. I thought the curtaisn raised, we saw a wide shot of the band, and then it cut to a close-up side view of Floyd, as opposed to the screen sliding to a close-up of Floyd.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Since i didn't have Nick at the time, i can't tell you what all of them were, but Nick edited the eps. They were given the full 25 1/2 minute episodes and allowed to edit them however they chose to fit their station's time limit. So the Nick airings were often the first time the UK sketches were shown on US television, but with other scenes cut out. Sometimes they cut one scene, other times they just trimmed smaller parts of several scenes and on occasion moved things around (such as the Rita Moreno ep). So some of those "mistakes" may be just how they aired on Nick.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When I first noticed that the back covers of the "My Sesame Street Home Video" releases had a listing of other videos in the collection, when looking at the title "Count It Higher: Great Music Videos from Sesame Street" I thought the title was just "Count It Higher" and thought the "great music videos from Sesame Street" line was the start of a new section listing videos themed aroudn music (and at the time I hadn't seen any of the videos listed past that point).

LinkiePie<3

Reaction score
I've been a Muppet fan for all of my life... mistakes happen!

*When I was six, I thought "Pigs in Space" was a movie title... not a televised sketch!

*I didn't know Lips had a goatee at first. O= <33

* I once mispronounced Jim Henson's name as "Jim Herson" as a tot.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Not a "Muppet mistake" per se, but it was a mistake made around my Muppet love...

I was able to read at a very early age (thanks to SST and Electric Co.) - so i often had my stacks of SST puppets around me as i'd act out scenes in SST books. Big Bird's Busy Book was an activity book that had lots of great stuff all throughout (my mom always used the cookie dough recipe from it whenever she made cookies).

Some of the instructions were more geared to adults or older readers. So anytime a character would give an instruction that included the word "etc", i thought that was like an "ahem" sound like the character was clearing their throat.

dwmckim

Reaction score
When i was a kid, i thought it was Jim Henson and Frank Oz doing the acting in the Sesame Street "8: The Mad Painter" film.

ilovemusic

Reaction score
Hah, I was sketching Cantus, and I didn't know anymore what was the shape of his hair. D:

Frozann

Reaction score
The first times I watched The Muppet Show, I mixed up Hilda and Mildred easily. Maybe because they have the same part in their names - ild.

The first Muppet universe thing I had to watch was "..Wizard of Oz", I didn't know characters at all. I remember how was I searching Muppet Wiki for "Toto", to find what is name of that shrimp.

Once I mixed up Julie Andrews and Judy Collins episodes. I don't know why.

The second thing of Muppets I watched was MTM, I looked boring to me. Mainly because I knew nothing about Muppets.

I still mix up Ernie and Bert, because their Russian name was quite different. Ernie = Enik, Bert = Vlas.

I thought Mokey was very boring character who is mother of other principle Fraggles, thanks to Muppet Wiki saying "den mother" :smile:

I thought Big Bird is a girl. Funny, I can't remember his Russian voice at all. All I can remember is a little part of song "Ain't no road too long".

I am also one who thought that Uncle Travelling Matt has Jim's voice.

dwmckim

Reaction score
...well, he did at least re-invent them so to speak...

dwmckim

Reaction score
...well, he did at least re-invent them so to speak...