Your Muppet mistakes

dwmckim

Reaction score
After the Jean Stapleton episode of Muppet Show aired, the next day i remembered that the Swedish Chef's language was "Mockingbird Swedish" and thought that until i later saw the rerun.

Along the same lines - not a mistake...just an early attempt an fan fiction/wanking, but i had attempted to come up with an English translation of the Chef's intro song...don't remember how i started it but it ended with "We'll roast a chicken or mmm...PORK PORK PORK!"

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
Well, my Muppet mistake is unique if anything.

I was introduced to the Muppets at a very young age. Now, I learned to speak Spanish before I learned to speak English, but, when I was first learning English, things were confusing. And in Spanish, Kermit is known as La Rana Rene and in English Renee is a girl's name and for a long time I thought Kermit was a girl and I would put my Kermit plush in a dress...I was convinced Kermit was a girl until I really had a good grasp on English at about age 5 and then watched the Muppet movies and realized 'oh yeah, he's a good guy/is a male frog! '

CherryPizza

Reaction score
After skimming this thread, I must say that I was surprised not to see a single 'Fonzie Bear' or 'Ralph'.

There was the day when my pre-school-aged self was being taken shopping for placemats. My older sister and the imposed-by-mother 'friends' all chose Smurf ones. I was already leaning a certain way at that age and chose a Muppet one. Sister referred to my choice numerous times as 'The Puppet Show', but my frustrations fell on deaf ears... so much so that when we arrived home and were reporting on our placemats, one of the imposed-by-mother 'friends' announced that "CherryPizza got a 'puppet' one".

I guess I had a hard time accepting that the SS Muppets were puppets, and in my mind wanted to defend them against any accusations that they were not 'real'. However, the much more painful process was coming to terms with the fact that the show was scripted and that the humans were actors.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Hmmm...i thought i would have mentioned Fonzie Bear! Well if i didn't say it before, i originally thought it was Fonzie Bear - and while it took me ages to learn Gonzo's name when i did finally heard and remembered it, i heard it as Gongzo - which made sense because he always tried to hit the O in The Muppet Show like a gong.

Then over on Sesame Street i loved the construction workers Biz and Silly.

robodog

Reaction score
This is a wierd one.

When I was about six or seven I was at the Babysitters. Bored, I picked up a magazine and started thumbing through it. There I saw what I now know was an ad for Fraggle rock. This was before the series had actually started. The ad featured a picture of the top half of Red's head. I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking at, but I managed to convince myself it was some kind of monster. I was kind of creeped out by it.
I had no idea at the time that what I was seeing was a character from a show that would soon earn a very special place in my heart. I had a crappy childhood and things from said childhood that I still care deeply about are rare, Things from my childhood I still care about that didn't heavily involve dogs are even rarer. Fraggle Rock is the rarest of the rare. A TV show I grew up with that still holds a place in my black, cynical heart that doesn't heavily involve dog characters. It still amazes me that when I was first exposed to one of the characters, I thought it was something evil.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
With today being Halloween, I am suddenly reminded of a mistake I had regarding the Julie Andrews episode. In the Alice Cooper episode, Kermit remarks that "it wasn't spooky like this when Julie Andrews did the show". And that line made me thing the Julie Andrews episode was horror-themed.

Of course, at the time I had not seen the episode, but had seen some of the clips with Julie Andrews. I saw a clip from the cold opening in the opening montage in the 30th anniversary special. I saw her talk spot in Muppet Weird Stuff, where although it clearly wasn't scary, Gonzo mentioned Sweetums and Thog, two of the monsters. And I saw a brief clip from the Lonely Gothered number in the promo for the Playhouse Video releases, which didn't look scary to me, but still, I assumed the episode was filled with monsters.

Interestingly, when I first saw the episode guide at Bill Sherman's page and saw that Julie performed with the monsters in the closing number, I initially thought that was the clip in the opening montage in the 30th anniversary special. And later, when I learned the song was titled "I Whistle a Happy Tune", I expected a more pleaseant setting (with the backdrop from the talk spot) with the monsters singing. It wasn't until I finally saw the episode that I saw it had a spooky setting.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Back in the VHS days, pretty much all videos from Jim Henson Video and other subsidaries of Buena Vista Home Video (including Walt Disney Home Video and, I think, the Bullwinkle and Chipmunks videos) had a little survey card to fill out. Though I never filled any out or mailed them, I noticed at the bottom that it says to send any questions we have to a certain address. And in the case of the Muppet videos, I thought it meant any questions about the Muppets, so I had considered sending in questions about the names of many of the characters I did not know the names of (the only one I can remember wanting to ask the name of was "the monster who sang Under My Skin", though there were a lot of other characters I wanted to know the names of that I'm sure I was going to ask about). I also thought about asking them if they could do another Muppet special like the 30th anniversary one, and wanted to ask them to include certain clips. Of course, now I realise they probably wouldn't have known the answers I was going to ask and that it was really for questions about the videos or service (I was looking at one last night and realised it was for a Jim Henson Video Mailing List; Did anyone here ever sign up?).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Back in the VHS days, pretty much all videos from Jim Henson Video and other subsidaries of Buena Vista Home Video (including Walt Disney Home Video and, I think, the Bullwinkle and Chipmunks videos) had a little survey card to fill out. Though I never filled any out or mailed them, I noticed at the bottom that it says to send any questions we have to a certain address.
A couple years ago I bought a VHS tape of the old live action TV series Disney's Adventures in Wonderland. And it still had the original booklet advertising other tapes, including Muppet productions and Muppet watches, lol. The original survey card was also included with that "If you have any questions" part.