Your Muppet Home Video (DVD/Blu) MUSTS

Squigiman

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I jsut figured this might be a fun topic to toss out there. Not sure if it's come up, before, so sorry if it's a repeat. One of my big hopes, having now seen the recent movie not only come out, but also be a critical and box office success, with a follow up already announced, is that it will at the very least lead to more of the older material being released on home video. There is simply a plethora or goldmine out there, waiting for Disney to plunge into. I know things like ownership, copyright, and stuff like that can be tricky, with the nature of the Muppet characters appearing on shows and specials owned by others, but still, there's so much out there that I imagine can be negotiated.

Anyways, excluding the remaining seasons of The Muppet Show, which I think are the most obvious missing pieces of any Muppet fan's collection, what are a few of the things that would really make yours feel complete? For me, I am still baffled as to how The Muppets Go To Walt Disney World was not put out soon after the acquiring of the characters. It's just obvious. A perfect Reese's Peanut Butter Cup blend of two of the most wonderful sources of family entertainment, "tasting great together". Additionally, it was the very last production featuring all of the original core performers, including Jim and Richard, not to mention being loaded with characters including less used ones, these days, such as Bean Bunny.

Additionally, feel free to include stuff like what's not been ever made public, or ideal special features for rereleases of stuff we DO have. If Disney could get Steve, Dave, Jerry, and Frank (come on, Frank!) in a room for a day and knock out commentaries for at least the first 3 movies, imagine what fun they could have and what stories they could tell. Additionally, Frank directed MTM, so there's that. I believe Jim Frawley's around, so a director's commentary on the original movie would be terriific. Also, give us back the camera test. I somehow lost my DVD of the old release and I miss that. Also, I heard that when researching to make Mirrormask, a 3-hour cut of Labyrinth was discovered at Jim's England home. I already own 4 separate releases of the film, but I would really like to see this.

Lastly, I was really let down when reading MC's review of the recent movie, as I already felt the included deleted scenes could have made the film even better, not to mention the other suggestions of inclusions made. The special features on the Wocka Wocka set, for what it's worth, flew by too quickly, and I'd like to see how else that movie could have changed in the editing.

Well, there ya have my take. What would you like to see available to own? Thanks for hearing me out and sharing your thoughts.

-Squigiman

zoebell

Reaction score
all of the jim henson era specials released. that's what i want.

muppets go hollywood, a christmas together, go to the movies, fantastic miss piggy show, rocky mountain holiday, a celebration of 30 years, muppet family christmas, muppets at disney world, and muppets celebrate jim henson

someone please put those out on dvd

Squigiman

Reaction score
Well, yeah. I was hoping for a little more narrowed down, specific type of posts for each person who responds. Thanks, all the same!

-Squigiman

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I feel everything with the Muppets needs to be on DVD. But some things in particular, besides seasons 4 and 5 and better editions of the movies...
  • Tales from Muppetland - I think it was rumored back in 2005 that such a set was planned, but nothing official was ever announced. I am especially surprised we didn't get a stand-alone DVD release of The Frog Prince to tie-in with The Princess and the Frog.
  • The Muppets at Walt Disney World
  • Hey, You're as Funny as Fozzie Bear and Wow, You're a Cartoonist! - These are my favorite of the Play-Along Videos (I didn't list Sing-Along/Dance-Along/Do-Along because I never liked it as much... Same with Neat Stuff, though I wonder if Disney obtained the rights to that one).
  • Little Muppet Monsters - I'd say release all 13 unaired episodes and any incompleted episodes (I think the Red Book said that additional segments were produced, not sure if it was live-action linking footage without animated segments, the other way around, or what) and use the Muppet name (also include some images of the animated Muppets on the cover along with the monsters, though the more familiar characters did appear in live-action form). They can release it all on two or three discs, and even if it sells poorly at least we won't have to worry about not completing our collection.
  • 1985 compilation videos - I wonder why those were never rereleased on video (ditto with the Play-Along Videos, especially since clips from the Play-Along Videos appear in the Muppet Sing-Along openings).
  • I'd like to have a DVD collection of "Muppet shorts". Mainly stuff like online viral videos (Muppet Bohemian Rhapsody, Kermit's Party, Dust in the Wind, the Bobo and Beauregard videos, and others), music videos, any commercials and PSAs Disney can clear, the 1992 guest spots on Good Morning America, Muppet Time, maybe the Muppet Meeting Films (since they are still being distributed for high prices would this be a bad idea?), Disney Channel Promos, Muppet Show promos not on DVD, and maybe even some original shorts with the characters (like the old theatrical shorts of the 1920s-1960s).

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I want an uncut DVD of Walt Disney World with the bloopers as bonus material, is that too much to ask!