Your hopes for Muppets/Disney

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Like most people I was shocked by the news last night of Disney buying the Muppets. There's been a lot of activity over on the existing thread, most of it very negative. Emotions run really high on this topic, naturally. I'm not trying to argue with people who are upset by this, because I'm not sure how I feel, and I definitely respect your feelings.

That being said, I'd like to start a thread where we can post our ideas for what we hope will happen now that the Muppets are part of Disney. Just a space for some positive thinking--even if you are 100% borken-up (oops! should say "broken-up," but I'll keep the Sweedish Chef-ism) over this, surely you might be able to envision something good coming out of this deal, or at least propose some advice or hopes for how the Disney company could handle the Muppets to ensure their long-term success. Of course they will want to bring in new fans, but long-time fans like us are the people who already understand what makes the Muppets so special, so our voice is important.

I'd like to start by saying that my biggest hope for this deal is that the Disney company will stay true to the heart and soul of the Muppets. They are not logos, but characters with well-developed personalities and relationships. I hope that the Disney people put someone in charge of their Muppet development who really understands the characters and is committed to keeping what makes them special. I also hope they work closely with everyone at Henson to see this happen.

It might also be nice if they hired someone to be in charge of fan-relations (à la Steve Sansweet at Lucasfilm). There are people who have been in love with these characters since birth, and the discussions going on here over the last day really show that the Muppet fan community needs to be convinced that their beloved characters are in good hands. I would have a lot of respect for Disney if they hired a fan as a consultant and a liason between the business community and the fan community.

Anyway, what are your hopes? What do you think Disney can or should do that will make this situation work? What kind of projects might come out of this arrangement that would really excite you?

:smile:

dmx10101

Reaction score
Well, first of all I want it to stay Jim Hensons Muppets, and not Disneys presents the Muppets or Disney's Muppets.
Second I don't want them to charge anything that doen't need to be changed. Like not phasing out puppetry and using CG. The horror in that.
Also not getting rid of any of the toy lines and fan sites.
I want Disney to put more of the older Muppet stuff on DVD, Start a new Mppet show similar to the old one and put it on ABC and not Disney channel so it can be a little more mature. Also I want them to make more original movies with all of the classic Mupppets, and using more of the less used muppets. Like Swedish Chef, Rowlf, Scooter, Lew Zeland, Sam etc.
Just don't over commercialize the, muppets. Remember the phase Don't fix it if it isn't broken." Don't try to change the Muppets, cause they don't need to be changed.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
dmx10101 said:
Start a new Mppet show similar to the old one and put it on ABC and not Disney channel so it can be a little more mature. Also I want them to make more original movies with all of the classic Mupppets, and using more of the less used muppets. Like Swedish Chef, Rowlf, Scooter, Lew Zeland, Sam etc.
I'd like that too. I remember when the NBC movie premiered, a lot of people liked it, and some people didn't. Even some of the people who didn't, though, felt that it was a step in the right direction for the Muppets in terms of tone, setting, character-use, etc. I'd like to see Disney take even more steps in the right direction.

RubberDucky

Reaction score
dmx10101 said:
Well, first of all I want it to stay Jim Hensons Muppets, and not Disneys presents the Muppets or Disney's Muppets.
Second I don't want them to charge anything that doen't need to be changed. Like not phasing out puppetry and using CG. The horror in that.
Well said! I totally agree! As a traditional animator that's one of my primary concerns with today's Disney. They've already disbanded much of their traditional animation empire for the sake of CG pursuits, ...letting old staff go, selling off a lot of their light tables, there are rumors about no more traditional features after "Home on the Range". So basically they are in the process of killing off a beautiful and beloved medium and I REALLY hope that they don't do the same for the Muppets. Jim Henson and company created a unique and wonderful art form, and I hope I hope I hope that Disney will keep intact and as-is. :sympathy:

dmx10101

Reaction score
RubberDucky said:
Well said! I totally agree! As a traditional animator that's one of my primary concerns with today's Disney. They've already disbanded much of their traditional animation empire for the sake of CG pursuits, ...letting old staff go, selling off a lot of their light tables, there are rumors about no more traditional features after "Home on the Range". So basically they are in the process of killing off a beautiful and beloved medium and I REALLY hope that they don't do the same for the Muppets. Jim Henson and company created a unique and wonderful art form, and I hope I hope I hope that Disney will keep intact and as-is. :sympathy:
Yes, Disney is saying about doing away with traditional hand draw animation and going to just computer animated stuff.

dmx10101

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
I'd like that too. I remember when the NBC movie premiered, a lot of people liked it, and some people didn't. Even some of the people who didn't, though, felt that it was a step in the right direction for the Muppets in terms of tone, setting, character-use, etc. I'd like to see Disney take even more steps in the right direction.
That movie was the one that got me back into the Muppets, so it is very special to me, long live IAVMMCM! To me if they make more movies in that way, they won't have any problem doing well.

fuzzy fozzie

Reaction score
I think you're right

What you said is right. I hope Disney doesn't try to change the muppet empire. I was very upset when I heard about the buy out because the Muppets have been a part of my life since before I can remember and I don't like the way Disney is handling themselves lately. I don't like Einsner anymore and I think the company has gotten too full of themselves. But on the other hand I read the press release and the Henson family seems thrilled and even said that Jim himself wanted to be part of Disney before he had died. If Disney is smart they will make more of the older shows and specials available and even put the original Muppet Show back into circulation on TV. In my heart the muppets will always be very special and no one, not even Disney, can take away my wonderful childhood memories. Here's to hoping Disney plays it smart! :embarrassed:

MuppetNewsFlash

Reaction score
Two words Manhattan Melodies, the new splash hit on Broadway! Look out Producers, here's the real Broadway show about a broadway show! :sing: :zany: :big_grin:

SarahHIYE

Reaction score
Like most people, I want a new TV show. And I want it on ABC. Not everyone gets the Disney channel (I get it at home, but not at school). I want a new Muppet movie on the big screen and one on the little screen--but NOT Muppet Wizard of Oz. PLEASE NO.

And I want everyone here to be happy :smile:

Sarah

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
MuppetNewsFlash said:
Two words Manhattan Melodies, the new splash hit on Broadway! Look out Producers, here's the real Broadway show about a broadway show! :sing: :zany: :big_grin:
Yes! Now there's something I think they could actually do and do well. Disney's broadway presence has been terrific--I haven't seen Lion King (unfortunately), but I very much enjoyed Beauty and the Beast and Aida. Lion King, from what I've heard and seen, is enormously creative and imaginative. I would love to see a live Muppet project win the kind of respect that this show has.