Your Favorite TV Show: The Movie

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I posted something like this in the Doctor Who thread, but then I realized that the idea was too fun to waste on one show.

What would you do if you were put in charge of a movie based on your favorite TV show? Who would you want to direct? What would the plot be? Which actors would you put in which roles?

Have fun! :electric:

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
While it's far from my favorite show, I use Degrassi as one of my film franchises in a game on another forum: Create a Year of Movies. Each game, we create movies and give them release dates and see how they do at the "box office." As my first movie there, I chose to do a Degrassi movie that was a direct continuation of the show, "directed by" John Landis. It was unbelievably average to be honest. It was a full-fledged Disney-style musical (my stupid 17-year old self put down Alan Menken as the "composer" of the songs) with a ton of pointless celebrity cameos (include Kermit and Oscar). It did okay at the box office for what it was. I eventually made a couple sequels that were a Your Mileage May Vary with each one. They would never fly in real life, but in an online game they are interesting enough.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If How I Met Your Mother ever gets cancled before we meet the mother, I'd like a two-hour movie in which we see Ted meet the mother, going from their first meet to their marriage (I wonder if the creators plan on ending the show with Ted meeting her or if it'll end with the marriage).

Otherwise, I'd like a Taxi movie, if we can get all the still-living cast members. I'd have Jim Carrey play Latka.

If I could make a Happy Days movie, I think I'd want Ron Howard or Henry Winkler to direct. And I'd want it to be a little like The Brady Bunch movies, including have a gag where Chuck Cunningham appears but the whole family denies they even have a son named Chuck.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If I could make a Happy Days movie, I think I'd want Ron Howard or Henry Winkler to direct. And I'd want it to be a little like The Brady Bunch movies, including have a gag where Chuck Cunningham appears but the whole family denies they even have a son named Chuck.
Yeah that would pretty much have to be a requirement, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If How I Met Your Mother ever gets cancled before we meet the mother, I'd like a two-hour movie in which we see Ted meet the mother, going from their first meet to their marriage (I wonder if the creators plan on ending the show with Ted meeting her or if it'll end with the marriage).
I'm sure that the show's popularity will keep it going long enough to reach that point naturally, but a movie would be a nice way to end things. Unfortunately, this country has a bug up its butt when it comes to movies based on TV shows that are out at the time of the films release with the original cast and writers. Except, of course... South Park, Beavis and Butt-head, the first 2 Rugrats movies, and the Simpsons movie... they usually tend to do badly. Actually, I think the first Sex in the City did well, the second didn't.

As for how the show ends, I bet they worked the show in reverse from end to beginning and just added extras to fit in with continuity.

As for seeing movies based on TV shows... I would HATE the idea of another sitcom being a movie... I've grown to not care too much for sarcastic backhands like the Brady Bunch movie (of course, I specifically mean the Scooby-Doo movie... I detest the Brady Bunch and refuse to see TV episode, movie or otherwise). I'd like to see more cartoon based movies, but only if they don't take care to screw them up. I want someone to WATCH the entire show and throw in little fan bits like in the second Scooby movie and Rocky and Bullwinkle and not make everything entirely up like Underdog, Dragon Ball, or Inspector Gadget.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
As for how the show ends, I bet they worked the show in reverse from end to beginning and just added extras to fit in with continuity.
I think they already filmed the ending; as the actors for Ted's kids would be really old by the time it happens.

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
I'd love to see a LOST movie! And I'm going watching Friday Night Lights on netflix currently. A new movie for that is in the works right now. :smile:

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I was thinking of an ideal Looney Tunes movie idea a few years back, and the whole point of the film was Bugs being the only one who managed his money wisely and still gets large residual checks, the other toons moved on and were kinda happy not being in the spotlight, and Daffy Duck's in a run down apartment delusional thinking he's still their biggest star like an out of shape athlete that only played with a team for a year and still thinking he was a champion.
Sounds like that'd be a fun movie and I've got a great reveal for Daffy!

Open on a wide shot of a bookstore with a long line in front of it. In the front window, there is a poster touting Daffy's new autobiography, Succeeding in Pictures (Why I Did And You Can't), with a notice that he's there for a book signing. The picture shows Daffy wearing a smoking jacket and cheesy grin. It is quite obviously slapped over another poster.

Fade to a medium shot of Daffy, wearing the same grin and jacket, with a stack of books next to him and piles of different colered books behind him. There is a doddering old woman heaping praise on him as he smugly signs her copy, though it's quickly revealed that she's only doing it because she believes he's Bugs.

Pull out to reveal that Daffy is sitting at a table next to a cardboard cutout of Bugs and pile of his biography, Working for Carrots.

Later, we see Daffy waltzing down the street and into the most run-down apartment building you've ever seen as though he's walking a red carpet. He passes by the open room of the building super.

"Hey, Duckniro," he says, "Your rent's late."

"Peasants," Daffy spits disdainfully.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I'd love to see a LOST movie!
I would say I have no idea how you could do that... but I'll be honest, I've been thinking about it since the show ended.

Spoilers ahoy if you haven't seen the last episode of LOST...

Basically, it's a relaunch of The A-Team. Sawyer is our leader, Alpert is the wise, sagely ex-immortal, Miles is the guy who can, for some reason, communicate with the dead, and Lapidus is, of course, the pilot. They solve crimes and crack wise. I guess that could be a movie.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm sure that the show's popularity will keep it going long enough to reach that point naturally, but a movie would be a nice way to end things. Unfortunately, this country has a bug up its butt when it comes to movies based on TV shows that are out at the time of the films release with the original cast and writers.
What I had in mind was a made-for-TV movie, and only if it gets canceled before a proper finale can be done. I doubt it'll be canceled (the show is still as perfect as it was when it began), but you never know.