Your favorite stop motion animation films

beaker

Reaction score
Just curious what some of your favorite stop animation films are of all time. Its a really fascinating medium, one which I hope picks up again. With cgi haven taken over traditional puppetry, animatronics, and stop motion...its kind of sad to see such things gone. To me the stop motion monsters in the original Star Wars hands down beats the cgi monsters in the new Episode films.

Anyways, here are some of my top fave stop motion films/features/specials:

Nightmare Before Christmas(the team who did this and James and the Giant Peach are working on a new one called Corpse Bride, which should be pretty good)

Wallace and Grommit(or any of the Aardman specials/shorts...go to http://wallace.atomfilms.com to see some of the new shorts...there is also from what I hear a Wallace and Gromit film coming out)

Chicken Run(from the Walalce and Gromit team, I really enjoyed this one)

The Brothers Quay: Ten Astonishing Short Films(You have never seen anything like this...hands down the most cryptic and ornate stop motion ever. If youve ever seen those Tool videos or The Cell ya know what I mean http://www.reel.com/movie.asp?MID=127139)

James and the Giant Peach(Just wish it had been ALL stop motion)

Jan Svankmajer's Alice/Faust/Little Otik(Renowned Chezch animator Jan Svankmajer pretty much pioneered the avant garde
stop motion animation field)

The Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb(1995)
http://www.reel.com/movie.asp?MID=10905

Sweetums74

Reaction score
I agree with your list 100%. Amazing work there.

I would also add "Vincent", the short by Tim Burton from '83 or '84 to that list.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I love "Wallace and Gromit" and "Chicken Run." I've also got a sentimental attachment to all those Rankin and Bass Christmas specials, especially "Nestor the Long-Eared Donkey" and "The Year Without a Santa Claus."
Erin

monkeymuppet

Reaction score
I remember that I would watch claymation all the time. There was one that had many Aesop's fables, I think. There was one where a rabbit got stuck to a man made of tar or some goopy stuff. There was another about a thorn patch and one where someone was eating a pie, maybe a cake. This is all that I can remember. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Who did that animation?

Yay, 100 posts! It's about time

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Nightmare Before Christmas was one of my favorite movies ever, period. In fact, all I did Halloween was watch that (I came home too late to see both that and Young Frankenstine)

Wallace and Grommit

Chicken Run

Robbie the Reindeer (wish I could see both unedited, undubbed versions, though)

Mad Monster Party (Yeah, I know it's a hit or miss, but I loved it, and to fully appreciate it, you have to read the old 1950's Mad Magazines!)

And of course, Claymation Specials by the Vil Vinton Studios (California Rasins, and the like)

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Sweetums74

I would also add "Vincent", the short by Tim Burton from '83 or '84 to that list.
Oh yeah, that is a pretty cool one. Too bad there was a decade gap in between Vinvent and NBXmas though. Its interesting to see stop motion animation used in live action films, like DavidLynch's Eraserhead(1978) or even Return of the Jedi(1983).

Oh, but the most avant garde, envelope pushing anime has *got* to be Davey and Goliath! :stick_out_tongue:

Struble

Reaction score
How come nobody is saying Gumbasia? Jeez! You gotta list Gumbasia!

Sh.

Comical_DrBob

Reaction score
My favourite ones are the Wallace & Grommit series.
Claymation/ stop motion is something I'd like to do I built a duck once but I think I'm pretty bad at making things move without breaking the firgure.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
The Nightmare Before Christmas is my favorite film, regardless of the amazing stop motion. I guess it does help a lot though. :smile:

-Matt

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Originally posted by Don'tLiveonMoon
I love "Wallace and Gromit" and "Chicken Run." I've also got a sentimental attachment to all those Rankin and Bass Christmas specials, especially "Nestor the Long-Eared Donkey" and "The Year Without a Santa Claus."
Erin
Ditto that! My favorite is the more obscure "Jack Frost" special. I always thought that Robert Morse made a much better Jack Frost than Paul Frees did.

-Kim