You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hey, I'd like to be an opening act for a big performance. I feel opening acts could very well help unknown performers become known, especially if they are opening for a really big act.
Being an opening act apparently has brought some people to attention... apparently, Sid Krofft used to be an opening act for Judy Garland early in his career.
Really? Opening acts are usually a half hour? I would have thought opening musical acts would be just a song or two, a comedian would just do one routine..... But then again, you've obviously seen more opening acts than I have.
I was kind of exaggerating... but, like, when I saw Bob Newhart, for example, the opening act was a local musical duo, and they did like maybe seven or eight songs... and gave background information/commentary on each song, and they would also talk about their other performances, and as I said, they plugged their CD, which was on sale in the lobby... then, now I remembered it, there was, for some reason, an AUCTION... I don't even remember what the items were that were being sold or anything, I just remember thinking, "Seriously? Why do we have to sit through all this? What about Bob Newhart?!" That's probably one of the reasons Newhart's performance seemed short and rushed: usually, the timeframe for these events are two hours, and the opening act and the auction probably took about 45 minutes or so, thus leaving Newhart with like less than an hour and a half for his own act.

Like I said, the only time I saw an opening act that wasn't local or unknown musicians was when I saw Jerry Seinfeld, and Mark Schiff opened for him: again, Mark was genuinely funny, and I enjoyed his opening (which may have been like ten or fifteen minutes), but yeah, opening acts are usually local/unknown musicians, and they'll do a LOT of songs before the main act finally takes stage. I saw Hall and Oates last year, and I was beginning to think they weren't ever coming out on stage, because after their opening act, we waiting quite some time for them to take stage.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Usually, the opener to the opener is about 15-30 minutes, and the opener plays a good 45ish minutes. The main act is usually an hour and a half-ish. It's usually about how the tour is set up. Some have it set up to where there is only 1 opening act, and they only play a half hour and the main act plays 90 minutes. But some of the bigger tours have it set up for the 15-30/45/90 format.

Daniel

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think I've picked up on something they may have very well been an old double-standard from yesteryears.

You know how whenever a guy is acting peculiar, or seems disoriented, the first thing you might ask him is, "Are you drunk?" (or, in this day and age, "Are you high?")? I've noticed from really old programs and movies, from the 1950s (and maybe through the 60s and/or even the 70s), if a woman acts peculiar or seems disoriented, the first thing she's asked is, "Have you been nipping at the cooking sherry?" I guess back then, women weren't thought of as possibly being boozers, or having an occasion drink themselves... of course, then again, back then, it was thought that the woman's only place was the kitchen, so if she's going to do any kind of drinking, it's obviously going to be from the cooking sherry. :stick_out_tongue:

It's not far-fetched for a woman to be a boozer, though... my next door neighbor is a single lady, and it's not uncommon for there to be empty vodka or scotch bottles in our dumpster.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does anything with the words "Battletoads" on it a complete black hole where fun gets crushed to a quantum singularity? Doesn't matter what platform it is or if it was the cartoon... someone made something that purposely sucked.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Often, somebody makes a promise by swearing on something, whether it be a bible, somebody's life, or something else that's meaningful. So if you swear on something and you don't go through with your promise (or if your promise was a lie the whole time), are there consequences?

Okay, so I know that in court people swear to tell the truth on a bible, because the person on trial most likely wouldn't lie after swearing on a bible. I can see that having consequences. But then what if an athiest has to swear on a bible? They don't believe in religion so probably wouldn't see any consequence to swearing on a bible and not meaning it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well the consequence is you can be charged with perjury.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think atheists are allowed to "affirm" rather than swear.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay... anyone notice that Internationally, every single American cartoon in the 1980's pretty much had a freaking soundtrack album, while us Americans (who the cartoons were intended for) got diddly freaking squat? France got albums and singles of every theme song (of course, they rewrote them most of the time, and times they didn't they added lyrics). Israel even got a Kidd Video album with songs from the show in English... apparently that show was huge there for some reason... I'd bet it has something to do with being a Saban production...

Which, frankly sucks. If there's one thing you can say about 1980's cartoons, they had epic music. As synth poppy as they are, they were pretty awesome. I'm watching Galaxy High, and I'm like... why wasn't this given a soundtrack album?!? One of the Eagles did the music (or at least the theme). Can't get it out of my head, it's that catchy. Inspector gadget did get a soundtrack in France. It's several tracks from the cartoon's BGM, plus 3 songs in French (Including the theme song). Though I'm disappointed it doesn't have the creepy sneaking around music or that sinister organ arrangement of the theme song that they played all over "Gadget Goes West." I was always mystified by the "Soundtrack by Saban Records" bit at the end credits...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I am realizing nowadays other countries get to enjoy our shows even more than we do! I mean it's great, at least we have the Internet and we can share things. But it's annoying how flavor of the moment American can be.