You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
How come Geico tends to have so many different mascots and gimmicks at the same time? That Gecko's been around for too long (I haven't seen any Gecko commercials lately, though... has he finally been retired?), and yet multiple different marketing gimmicks have been done at the same time. Like the Geico cavemen, and those "can switching to Geico really save you money?" commercials, and currently those commercials with that pig. I think Geico is also the company to have those current commercials that end with two guys asking about Geico and making some observational comment related to the commercial (I'm bad at explaining this, but one example is the "camel on hump day" commercial).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Gecko's been in a ton of commercials lately: one has him doing a voice-over advertisement, but the mixer comments his accent makes it sound like he's saying, "Dulles" instead of, "Dollars"; another one has a guy (who sounds a lot like Rob Paulsen) show him an animation (2D) of himself, much to his chagrin. There was another commercial where we saw him in makeup before filming a commercial.

But I guess Geico experiments with different advertising gimmicks to avoid becoming stale quickly.

Mark my words, though... the camel is going to be the next Maxwell. I can smell it. It smells like camel.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does it seem like everybody's got an obsession with squirrels right now? I mean really, we've got a SHARKNADO-esque horror movie coming out about killer squirrels, there's a new Sears commercial on TV right now where a guy has trained squirrels to clip coupons, it's like squirrels have become what llamas were there for a while. :stick_out_tongue:

Wow, I haven't seen any of these recent squirrell things.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know I brought this up in the past regarding Freds, but it just occurred to me that there seems to be a lot of Pauls in entertainment as well... off the top of my head, I can think of...

• Paul Lynde (actor/comedian)
  • Paul Newman (actor)
  • Paul Frees (voice actor)
  • Paul Schoeffler (voice actor)
  • Paul Anka (singer)
  • Paul McCartney (one of The Beatles)
  • Paul Ruebens (Pee-wee Herman)
  • Paul Williams (songwriter)
  • Paul Simon (half of Simon and Garfunkel)
  • Paul Rudd (actor/comedian)
  • Paul Rugg (writer/voice actor/Muppeteer)
  • Paul (half of Paul and Paula)

Among others.

snichols1973

Reaction score
I know I brought this up in the past regarding Freds, but it just occurred to me that there seems to be a lot of Pauls in entertainment as well... off the top of my head, I can think of...

• Paul Lynde (actor/comedian)
  • Paul Newman (actor)
  • Paul Frees (voice actor)
  • Paul Schoeffler (voice actor)
  • Paul Anka (singer)
  • Paul McCartney (one of The Beatles)
  • Paul Ruebens (Pee-wee Herman)
  • Paul Williams (songwriter)
  • Paul Simon (half of Simon and Garfunkel)
  • Paul Rudd (actor/comedian)
  • Paul Rugg (writer/voice actor/Muppeteer)
  • Paul (half of Paul and Paula)

Among others.
Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee)
Paul Revere (of 1960's rock group Paul Revere & The Raiders)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought that programs produced in widescreen were supposed to be seen that way on flatscreen TVs, but I've watched many programs on flatscreen TVs where it's obvious that you can't see the whole screen. For example, even on a wider flatscreen TV, when watching Sesame Street part of the episode number doesn't show. So what's the deal with widescreen TVs not presenting widescreen programs in widescreen?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
It's the other way around. It's bad formatting on the show's end. Especially when they try to format a fullscreen show into widescreen. Just because a station claims something is presented in widescreen, does not mean it is or that it is formatted to be viewed on a widescreen tv correctly.