You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I felt the Gaston song to be the highlight of the movie. Whole film's worth watching just for Gaston, I'd say.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I haven't seen a lot of Jason Alexander's theater work (um, what's with that toupe he wears all the time now?), but that songs makes me realize what a surprisingly good voice he has.

It seems Jason Alexander always wears a toupee when he's in a movie (except for in Rocky and Bullwinkle), but not on television. In fact I remember when I first saw his appearance on Muppets Tonight, my mom told me that he was the actor who played the father in Dunston Checks In. I saw it... I thought, "this guy is bald, the father in that movie wasn't".

I felt the Gaston song to be the highlight of the movie. Whole film's worth watching just for Gaston, I'd say.
I agree, it's one of the best parts. I like to break into that song at random (and like to alter the lyrics as well). "Nobody falls to the death like Gaston..." (okay, that line I saw in a YouTube comment)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It seems Jason Alexander always wears a toupee when he's in a movie (except for in Rocky and Bullwinkle), but not on television.
He's featured on some new celebrity game show hosted by Jane Lynch, and yeah, he wears a toupe. Makes me think of that SEINFELD episode where George gets a piece and it starts making him act like a jerk (well, more of a jerk than he already was) until Elaine threw it out the window.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Why was the complete series boxset of Rocko's Modern Life released before Season 4 was released standalone? I already have S1-3, so I don't wanna buy the whole boxset. S4 apparently is coming out next month or something.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
First of all, I hate when good runners or long runners are released in complete series sets, as it's totally not practical; second of all, I hate it even more when studios do that... like with LEAVE IT TO BEAVER, they released the first two seasons individually, then the idiots at Universal were like screw this, and instead of releasing the rest of the seasons individually, just released a complete series set.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Considering the Angry Beavers Box Set is actually cheaper than getting a single release, I'm inclined to want that one.

Dunno how much Rocko's going to cost, though.

I don't mind full series sets so long as they release season by season sets co-currently. I don't like this whole bit about releasing the last season well after the full set's released. But then again, chances are I couldn't manage to get the single ones anyway.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know I've talked about this before, I just can't remember if I did here or not, but it came to my mind again last night, and it really gets me to thinking... what's the deal with inviting people you don't like/who don't like you to your parties? I really didn't understand as a kid why I had to invite kids that clearly didn't like me to my birthday parties; my mom always said I had to because it was "polite" and that said kids' feelings would be hurt if they didn't receive an invitation... but if they don't like you, how does not inviting them to a party hurt their feelings? Not only that, but they never come anyway, year after year, so there's really no point to it at all. Parents sure do have peculiar logic don't they? Even if they DID show up, why would they anyway? Free cake and ice cream or something? I dunno.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Apparently, you're expected to be the bigger man. It's just like inviting every one of your classmates.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What's the deal with scene transitions? I don't mean things like fades or wipes or something... I especially am talking about cartoons that use specific things to break up scenes instead of a clean edit. Like the Super Friends stars with zap sound effect, the Transformers bit where they play part of the theme song and the symbol flips, or everything ever in a Filmation cartoon that would be too much to list.

Not that there's anything wrong with them, but really short scenes that begin with a scene transition and have another less than 30 seconds later kinda... well... it can get a little annoying.

They even do it on one of the variations of America's test Kitchen... the Country Cooking one. They use it to show time passing when cooking something. it gets pretty annoying when they say "X has to cook for X minutes" (scene transition- there's is 3 banjo strums and footage of a front porch) "now that X has cooked, we need to col it for X more minutes" (scene transition again).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
What's the deal with that Geico commercial where a camel is happy that it's Hump Day? Until a few weeks ago I didn't know that "hump day" was an actual term for Wednesday. How many people would have known that if not for the commercial?

And what's with these commercials I've seen lately where people talk about clothing tags being annoying, with the solution being clothes with printed-in tags? I never found tags to be annoying.

What's the deal with scene transitions? I don't mean things like fades or wipes or something... I especially am talking about cartoons that use specific things to break up scenes instead of a clean edit. Like the Super Friends stars with zap sound effect, the Transformers bit where they play part of the theme song and the symbol flips, or everything ever in a Filmation cartoon that would be too much to list.

Not that there's anything wrong with them, but really short scenes that begin with a scene transition and have another less than 30 seconds later kinda... well... it can get a little annoying.

While it may or may not be the same thing, I thought it was cool in the first season of That '70s Show where they did transitions that showed still images, sometimes with moving mouths. Then in the second season they replaced it with shots of the cast on '70s-style psychedellic backgrounds, sometimes with multiples of the same character... and I never really liked that new style.

I know I've talked about this before, I just can't remember if I did here or not, but it came to my mind again last night, and it really gets me to thinking... what's the deal with inviting people you don't like/who don't like you to your parties? I really didn't understand as a kid why I had to invite kids that clearly didn't like me to my birthday parties; my mom always said I had to because it was "polite" and that said kids' feelings would be hurt if they didn't receive an invitation... but if they don't like you, how does not inviting them to a party hurt their feelings? Not only that, but they never come anyway, year after year, so there's really no point to it at all. Parents sure do have peculiar logic don't they? Even if they DID show up, why would they anyway? Free cake and ice cream or something? I dunno.

I never had to invite everybody I knew to my birthday parties. I spent my birthdays with family and people I regularly hung out with outside of school, church, or whatever.

Though on a similar note, why is it that in fiction on valentines day students only have to give valentines cards and such to girls they like, but when I was in school we had to give valentines cards to everybody in the classroom, even if we didn't like them?