you do have to wonder...

superboober

Reaction score
That PBS will continue re-airing the show after it does come to an end is pretty much a forgone conclusion. The big question, of course, is how far back will they go for shows? (for example, they currently only run Mister Rogers' Neighborhood episodes from 1979 onward).

My suggestion for when that time comes is such: as long as it's not too jarring, they could show a different episode from each decade each of day of the week (i.e., Monday's episode would be from the 60s/70s, Tuesday's from the 80s, Wednesday's from the 90s, Thursday's from the 00s, and Friday's would be a "wild card" from any year they wish). That way, all age groups would have a chance to relive the show they knew best.

What do you think of this proposition?

somethingofafan

Reaction score
I think it probably would be jarring to see Hooper's store run by a different person every day. Besides, the more recent shows make use of the most up-to-date research, so they would probably just rerun the shows after a certain point (now, for example, they use shows from season 34 on).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Probably the '80s episodes match better with the current ones as far as appearance. They could mix them up with some thought. Though, even the '70s ones could work too occasionally, especially when the audience keeps coming in all the time, completely new to the show. Kids that age don't sit back and say "Hey that looks outdated!" or start nitpicking like crazy the way we do, hehe. Kids enjoy the older SS DVDs even when they're not so current so I don't see it being a problem.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
I don't mean to sound negative, but I honestly believe that if Sesame Street ever does go into reruns, the farthest back they will go is the 30th Season. Because of the fact that was the first year they had Elmo's World and Alan at Hooper's Store. It's like they want kids to have a consistent view of Sesame Street and act like the first 29 years never even exsisted. JMO

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
LincolnHeights said:
It's like they want kids to have a consistent view of Sesame Street and act like the first 29 years never even exsisted. JMO
Yeah it does seem that way. The entire pop culture is about throwing the old away. If that keeps up, we won't have anything left worth preserving. It will be all about the flavor of the moment.

And it's a myth that kids don't know about or appreciate older SS. I've read and seen too much to believe otherwise. Just because we mainly see 'modern' Muppets on the TV and in the stores, doesn't mean that represents real life.

superboober

Reaction score
Or how about this second thought:

More recent shows during the week at their current regular time slot, and vintage shows either at night or weekend mornings, both times when parents would be able to watch them with their children and explain anything that may seem "off" to them?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's not a bad idea, PBS doesn't generally do stuff for kids on weekend mornings I believe. I really don't think kids would mind the inconsistencies too much as long as it's entertaining. Still, it would be cool for parents and kids to compare if confusion comes up.