Yooka-Laylee: A love letter to 3D platform games

mr3urious

Reaction score
Fans of 3D collect-a-thon platformers from the N64 era rejoice! Many of the developers from Rare are forming their own company and creating a spiritual successor of their magnum opus Banjo-Kazooie called Yooka-Laylee (get it?). It stars a chameleon and bat duo using their unique skills like flight and tongue-grappling to explore five huge worlds and collecting a lot of crap along the way. Less than an hour after its Kickstarter launched today, it already hit its $270,000 (£175,000) goal, and is on its way to hitting those stretch goals like boss battles and ports to other consoles! :smile:

I, for one, am impressed at how polished the alpha build looks for being only three months in development. Though considering the team's years of experience, that's no surprise. :big_grin:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival

Drtooth

Reaction score
Have to admit. The fact that N64 and Playstation 1 games are considered retro makes anyone feel old. Gotta admit, I never quite liked this style of game, not even with Mario, but it's great to see fans of that style getting a nice classic(ish) boost.

Me? I'm all about 1990's arcade beat-em-ups. Mostly by Konami, but Capcom had some great ones too. I'd love someone to make a good one of those and put it on Kickstarter. Those things can go really wrong, though. You can easily end up with Captain America and the Avengers or The Tick.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I love how this game continues the tradition of sexual innuendos in Rare games by having one of the characters be a snake named Trowzer. He even has an eyepatch! :big_grin:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Here's the first trailer, and by Glob does it look gorgeous! Hats off to Playtonic for polishing the game up like this! Can't wait to see how this game turns out in early 2017 when it releases! :smile:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Here's the latest trailer, which shows off a factory level reminiscent of Clanker's Cavern or Rusty Bucket Bay from Banjo-Kazooie. The game has also been delayed to the 1st quarter of next year, which hopefully means that it will also be a launch title for the Nintendo NX, which is coming out in March! :smile:

And hey, we finally get to see that fart bubble ability they hinted at on the Kickstarter page! :smile: