Yet another Henson/Disney article - LaughingPlace.com

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Well, if I see a "Classic Media buys Muppets stake" or "EM.TV, Valentine strike Muppet deal" headline, the world shall feel my wrath.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Fab,

Whats this about finding cars in the dark ?

see ya

fabdisbabe

Reaction score
It's a story I tell in the above column. When on-lot negotiations turned sour, Disney left the Henson people to find their way out of the lot, late at night, in the dark.

Fab

radionate

Reaction score
Fab,

I know you said more next week, but what is this Forbidden Mountain you speak of?

P.S. Great article!

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
From Screamscape,

- Everest: The Forbidden Mountain - (3/21/03) Eisner himself confirmed that the “Everest” thrill ride project is indeed approved and that construction has begun. No mention of the “Forbidden Mountain” title was given... though even Eisner was not sure of the ride’s name other than it would have “Everest” in the title somewhere... so I’ve merged the two into our current project header. To paraphrase, Eisner admitted that it would be the biggest and best ride in the park, an amazing ride through the Himalayas. It seems he turned to his second in command, Bob Iger to get the projected opening date for the ride only to find out that the project had not yet been announced. The response from Iger was funny in itself... “You’ve just made a couple hundred people on the Internet happier than they have ever been in their life.” If you want to hear it yourself click on this LINK and then advance to about 1 hour and 47 minutes into the meeting. To celebrate, I’ve drawn up a really LAME piece of artwork that I believe represents a very early description of what the coaster might look like. This will have to do until the final artwork is released in late April.
(3/10/03) Several Media sources have confirmed to Screamscape that a Media Event is currently planned for April 21 & 22nd, which will celebrate the 5th Anniversary of the Animal Kingdom (April 22nd, 1998). Meanwhile the rumored land clearing behind the scenes is said to be for a new animal “barn”.
(3/7/03) A reader claims that some construction walls have come up in Anandapur to widen the pathways here to handle the increased traffic flow from the new ride. Meanwhile another reader claims that some land behind the Kali River Rapids and Maharaja Jungle Trek has been cleared and “construction equipment” has been spotted on site. Can anyone else confirm either of these stories or have photos? Adding more fuel to the fire, one of our many media friends out there tells us that Disney is planning a media event for April 21st and 22nd, even though Space and Philharmagic wont be ready to open for months. The reason? Seems they may have an announcement to make...
(3/5/03) I don’t know how solid this info is, but we’ve heard that an announcement for this project could come as early as April 22nd, the park’s 5th Anniversary. This source also mentioned that the rumored backwards section of the coaster was true and that the train would be attacked by the Yeti at this point in the ride before rocketing off on an escape route. It also looks like a new bridge from the Tarzan Rocks area of Dinoland to Asia would be built to help with the extra traffic flow.
(2/3/03) The latest good buzz about the Yeti coaster is that WDI is hard at work on building their final giant scale model of the attraction which is said to be around 7 feet tall and at least twice as long and full of very pointy and jagged looking peaks.
(1/30/03) A couple of other sources confirm hearing that the new coaster has been approved and that the announcement could happen within the next month or so. Those who claim to have seen it are very impressed with the look of this attraction and claim that Jay is doing things right. Meanwhile the rumor mill has heard that the coaster may even have a “backwards” section to it...
(1/27/03) The latest rumors leaking from the Mouse House claim that the E-Ticket attraction (Code Named: Everest) has been given the final green light to proceed.
(11/17/02) Screamscape was given some solid information from a trusted source about this new e-ticket. It seems that the size of this mountain may indeed be around 199 feet, and it does look like a very “pointy” version of the Mysterious Island volcano in DisneySea. It seems that that the previous rumors about having two separate tracks is false. Our source tells us that it appears that you will leave the station and meander about as you approach Forbidden Mountain where something will draw you up a lift hill of some kind that will be supported by a secondary mountain of rock next to the main structure. Once at the top you’ll enter the mountain itself and what happens inside is anyone’s guess. However on the way down it appears you will blast out of the mountain at least twice to enter large helix style track elements like PKI’s Beast/Son of Beast. In addition it seems they are looking at building another bridge from Dinoland to Asia next to the Tarzan Rocks theater to help with traffic flow.
(11/11/02) Another trusted source has come forward to tell us that the Forbidden Mountain project is indeed in development. From the various bits of concept artwork and model photos people claim to have seen, it will look like a giant broad mountain with several different peaks, and one source claimed that it even reminded them of TDS’s Mysterious Island, but with track running in and out of various caves. Another piece showed a very Himalayan mountain scene with a Yeti face in the clouds looking down upon a village, with a rickety old steam train working its way down the mountain towards the village. The latest info on the coaster itself is that it isn’t expected to have any inversions, but will feature a ton of “Yeti” creatures inside. Think of this as a modern day Matterhorn experience.
(10/13/02) One of our local spies tells us that the park had apparently floated a few balloons this week in Asia to show off how tall the new proposed e-ticket ride would be. Our source said that one balloon looked to be taller than the Tree of Life. Big Wigs were all over the site taking a tour with WDI/AK Guru Joe Rhode (sp?) and pointing out things that would have to be moved or changed to make room for the crowds.
(8/25/02) We received word from one insider that the new coaster project in Asia may still be moving forward, and could possible break ground in 2003 in time to open by 2005.
(7/10/02) Screamscape has learned that a meeting for upper management was held not long ago where they talked about a “Yeti” coaster project for Asia, with the queue entrance to be placed along the ‘pathway to nowhere’ right before the Kali River entrance.

Muppets1985

Reaction score
WOW!!!

Wow!!! Its the Fb Disney Babe form LP. Geee, i just LOVE ur stoys that u post up for us down at LP. I had NO clue u were part of Muppet central. But n e wayz GREAT story I just HOPE Disney gets them with in the few weeks. BoyRasin and I are getting VEARY sleepy hereing about "Muppet Sale' for the part 2 or 3 years! Right BoyRasin?:big_grin: :wink: I HOPE that its okay that I posted ur story on my Disney Site Message bord on MSN? We had our normal Disney chat last night and we're ALL happy that this might go through THIS time after 12 years or so.:smile: Now that EVERY time i visit MC or LP on Muppets going to Disney I get soooo Excited!!!!!!!!:excited: For real I do!

Well heres HOPEING for Disney, to close the deal with in the few weeks!

PS. Luke - Do u have ANY idea when the sale officaly ends???

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Gotta love the guy's enthusiasm. :stick_out_tongue:

Let's just see where we are by April 30, 2003.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by fabdisbabe
I've lurked here since my ex-husband Jim Hill took up a brief writing gig here - coming from you, the above is high praise indeed. Many thanks.
Well you know, it was great work and i prefer reading fact far more than fiction. I guess i've grown out of fairy stories ! :wink:

Anyway i must check out your other columns at LP, i'm not the biggest Diz fan but i've joined the forum and will have a look around. I was reading in Bernie Brillsteins book about Disney's attempt to buy 'ALF' in the mid-eighties, kinda glad that didn't work out though.

Muppets1985

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
Well you know, it was great work and i prefer reading fact far more than fiction. I guess i've grown out of fairy stories ! :wink:

Anyway i must check out your other columns at LP, i'm not the biggest Diz fan but i've joined the forum and will have a look around. I was reading in Bernie Brillsteins book about Disney's attempt to buy 'ALF' in the mid-eighties, kinda glad that didn't work out though.

Luke, WOW!!!!!!!:smirk: I have NO idea Disney tryed buying "ALF" when was this???:confused: ......Sounds cool tho!:big_grin: :wink: