Yet another Henson/Disney article - LaughingPlace.com

fabdisbabe

Reaction score
...note: this was written two days ago, before Valentine dropped out.

Fab

Luke

Reaction score
It's not bad, very well written and contains great insight - it does have a major problem though - some of the source matierial you used (i'm guessing some reuters articles) is probably six months out of date. The figure Disney are now spouting is $70 Million, not $135 Million which was a price banded around even before Saban got involved and Eisner recently dismissed. There have been conflicting articles that have implied that Disney may buy the whole 'Jim Henson Company' or maybe just 'The Muppets' character rights and library - this is a major issue that probably deserved a mention. Also the sale of JHC doesn't involve 'The Creature Shop' which is a major Henson asset.

Also there have been two articles with statements from those involved, more recently Saban and ages ago, Entertainment Rights PLC where they have both withdrawn from the bidding and are no longer in the running. It's not a two horse race though, there are others EMTV are talking too who haven't been talked about in the press yet.

Other than that, you were bang on the money !

fabdisbabe

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up, Luke - I thought I'd bandied about the "about 80 million" number in there.

I did look up past info on the bidders, but the initial Reuters article I used as a starting-off point in my research was brand spankin' new.

I really appreciate the critique - it's my first Muppets article, and I hope it won't be my last! :stick_out_tongue: <===I love this guy!

Can I C&P, or will you C&P your post to the forum there? I want my readers to get the corrected info.

Fab

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by fabdisbabe
...note: this was written two days ago, before Valentine dropped out.
Valentine dropped out in the last two days ? Do you have a source for that ? We don't even have it here, neither do Reuters nor AP/PA or any of the other news wires. The last thing to reach the press is that, as you said in the article, they ended the negotiations on the previous 49.9% deal by mutual consent, and that Valentine is looking for a new way to bid.

fabdisbabe

Reaction score
I heard from someone inside Disney Corporate that he dropped out this morning. I can't publish the person's name, though.

Fab

Luke

Reaction score
Wow - great inside news ! Thanks for that - it realy is looking more and more like Disney will get them then. There is definitely an article that put Entertainment Rights out of the running - it may well have been posted on the forum here and not made it to the website. The article where Saban was reported as dropping out was March 10th and they haven't (to my knowledge) put him amongst the current bidders since. The main ones they mention now are Valentine, Classic Media and Disney.

Yeah i noticed you got the Disney figure about right at the end of the article when you said that JHC was bought for 680 million and is now worth 600 less. I loved all you said about the Theme Parks and also picking up on Nancy Schultz was smart stuff !

Feel free to copy/paste or write in any updated info on the laughingplace forum.

fabdisbabe

Reaction score
I've lurked here since my ex-husband Jim Hill took up a brief writing gig here - coming from you, the above is high praise indeed. Many thanks.

Fab

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
So when do you think a deal could be reach with Henson, Fab?

fabdisbabe

Reaction score
I haven't a clue. Okay, I have a clue, but not anything concrete. (Shakes Magic 8 Ball).

What do you mean, NO WAY?

Sheesh!

Fab