Yarn Question...

puppetsmith

Reaction score
I've been searching and searching for a particular item that I thought wouldn't be too difficult to find, but I have come up empty handed. I've been trying to find really thick brown yarn. When I say thick, I mean like Scooter's hair or thicker. I've checked all my usual local places and searched online. The only thing I found close to what I'm looking for is this - http://cache.lionbrand.com/yarns/big.html - but of course, no brown, and because of the make-up I don't think it could be dyed.

Anybody have any sources or suggestions?

SesameKermie

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, you can get wool or wool blends that are spun chunky like that at most woolen mills. The wool should take dye readily. I'm not sure of a particular mill in your area, but that might give you some ideas to search.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
That might be the way to go, a woolen mill or someone who spins there own. I had to get wool custom-spun by someone before and it didn't even cost very much. Another option might be to try creating strands of wool by colouring it and then using white glue to help it hold it's shape.

Blink

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
That might be the way to go, a woolen mill or someone who spins there own. I had to get wool custom-spun by someone before and it didn't even cost very much. Another option might be to try creating strands of wool by colouring it and then using white glue to help it hold it's shape.
Don't forget to dilute the white glue with water or you will have a solid plastic mass instead of semi-rigid hair. I think Buck means white glue mixed with water. Think of it as really strong hair spray.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Blink said:
Don't forget to dilute the white glue with water or you will have a solid plastic mass instead of semi-rigid hair. I think Buck means white glue mixed with water. Think of it as really strong hair spray.
Yes, thank you. The water is very important!!

SJohnson

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the tip! I was looking for a way to keep my new sheepdog puppet's hair from unraveling and becoming a huge frizzy afro. I mixed some white glue and water and applied it with a spray bottle, and it worked great. The yarn is holding together with out compromising it's movement.:smile:

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
another item that works well is STIFFY, its designe for felt scultpures and stuff, its the same idea as white gles and water , its just pre mixed , works well on fur as well instead of hair spray

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Wish I'd have known about that when I made Rosa. Her hair is made from that home spun yarn and if you have ever used that stuff before, you know what a mess it is. I can't operate her without getting a mouth full of yarn fluff or having it all over my clothes, eyes, and stage. I wondered if there was a way to make it all stay in place. I'm sure eventually her hair will all fall out and/or look quite ragged. I'm gonna make one puppet with dreds but I'm sewing tight tubes for that out of a brown fuzz kinda felt like material I found at Walmart. Should be interesting.