Worst... Elmo product...EVER

mupcollector1

Reaction score
The Barney one doesn't look too bad in my opinion. But personally I prefer Blarney or Georgie (Dinosaurs references lol, couldn't resist) As for Elmo, Sherlock Hemlock put it best "EHGAD!" It's like Elmo has Kermit eyes but instead of Kermit's bullfrog trademark pupil's, they got Elmo looking upward as if he just got konked in the head. All you need is some birdies and stars flying around and Elmo falling over. But yeah, the tongue. It's like Baby Rowlf on Muppet Babies, adding a tongue which they never had before (well okay Rowlf did do a recentish commercial with his head and tongue out the window but that's different, that's a gag) So anyway, this Elmo puppet isn't offical? It's a knock-off? I wondered if they got sued yet? It's too close to the Elmo image except for the eyes, the tongue and the fur haircut or fur-cut. Totally funny looking. Might look good for Tough Pig's Ugly Toy Fair page. Do they still do those? I haven't seen them make one in awhile.
If you want a REALLY ugly Elmo product, look no further than this knock-off handpuppet from China.

Their Barney puppet doesn't look much better.

What's with the tounge on Elmo? Or Barney's green eyes? :embarrassed:

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Both Elmo and Barney look like they took one too many hits to the head and are now suffering brain damage.
Hmm, couldn't have been Crazy Harry because explosions are his thing. Perhaps it was Wilkins because they both refused drinking Wilkins Coffee. lol

mupcollector1

Reaction score
By the way, Tough Pigs found this one. Talk about scary. Here's Zombie Elmo! RUUUN!

And I was going to mention speaking of ugly Elmos and knock-offs, I'm not sure if any of you guys have a Stop and Shop grocery store anywhere near you (I'm from the New England area, they are all over the place) but they just love making ugly knock off Sesame cupcakes and they are really badly done. Mostly Elmo, Cookie Monster and Oscar. It's amazing what people will do to escape copyright infrigent.
lol Kind of reminds me of this story I read Steve Whitmire talking about on a Tough Pigs interview once (I'm not sure if anyone ever heard this story). During the Fraggle Rock years in Toronto, Steve was hanging out at Jim Henson's office laughing and having a good time and Steve heads off on his lunch break and while coming back he sees someone selling these hand knitted hot plates for your oven and this person made some really ugly Muppet ones and Steve was just laughing at an Ernie one. So he buys it for $10 and goings into Jim's office and tells him that he picked up something for him over lunch. Jim smiles excited about his surprise and Steve shows Jim the Ernie hot plate and Jim's smile drops, "Do I have to take that?" Jim asked seriously and Steve says no and that was that. It was a very interesting story.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If you want a REALLY ugly Elmo product, look no further than this knock-off handpuppet from China.

Their Barney puppet doesn't look much better.

What's with the tounge on Elmo? Or Barney's green eyes? :embarrassed:
Sad thing is, I've seen official merchandise worse than that.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I was just talking to a good friend of mine a few days ago in general on how it seems like companies don't make good character toys anymore. It seems like anything with a rubber face or a rubber character toy that was sculpted very well is a thing of the past. Seems like now they are horrabe plush dolls today. I have no idea if it's a safe hazard or what. Generally sometimes I feel this world is way to cautious and cafeful and practicably everything! But yeah, just looking in the claw machines at Wal-Mart seeing all those recognizable and unrecognizable characters to me is just a shame to how toys should be crafted. Not just for kids, but for collectors young and adult. As for Sesame murchanise, my favorite was the rubber puppets they had back in the 1970s. The figure puppets too, as for The Muppets there was the Fisher Price line and of course the Palisades Action Figures that unfortunately Disney couldn't find a way to revive that. Those were the best in my opinion because it was the closest thing to come to the actual Muppets, well before the Muppet replicas of course (which I still need to own, I don't have any of them currently. lol)
Though it could be worse. I have two books on character toys from the 50s - 70s and just how bad they made toys of the Hanna Barbera characer and Looney Tunes. Bad lazy paint jobs and a lot of them barely resembled the character. A lot of times it's fun to look at for a laugh in history but still I feel so bad for the kids who grew up having those because that's all they could get at the time. But still, they are worth a lot of money today. But with what we get today, not even close to value. lol Or quality in that matter. lol

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
That Elmo puppet wouldn't look TOO bad if the eyes were re positioned, which wouldn't be too hard with some paint :smirk:

bandit

Reaction score
Oh wow....These are all....really....pretty terrible.....*gawks* That book was an awful design and the Chinese handpuppet looks like a statement on why not to clone.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
The Barney one doesn't look too bad in my opinion.
As a huge Barney fan/collector, I really have to disagree. Then again, most official Barney products (Not all, but most) are of very high quality, so it might just be me being super-picky. But with that said... WHAT'S UP WITH THOSE DEMONIC GREEN EYES?!? :grouchy:

But personally I prefer Blarney or Georgie (Dinosaurs references lol, couldn't resist).
Ah yes... even as a Barney lover, I loved both of those parodies.

By the way, Tough Pigs found this one. Talk about scary. Here's Zombie Elmo! RUUUN!

Thank you so much for fueling my nightmares for the next two decades, "Elmo." :laugh:

Which brand are we talking about here? Barney or Sesame?

... the Chinese handpuppet looks like a statement on why not to clone.
I'd say "Barney" better serves that purpose. "Elmo" is the one that goes further... what happens when clones reproduce! :eek: