Worst/creepiest puppets/puppeteer work

Drtooth

Reaction score
Chanukah at Bubbe's. The puppets aren't that bad, the puppeteer work on the other hand as a lot to be desired.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/rooney/jg/28956-hanukkah-2010
I have to admit, Hanukkah specials are not only few and far between but often terrible and used to teach Hanukkah to non-Jews. Now, I'm not the religion to celebrate it, I like to be exposed to OTHER cultures... Even Shalom Sesame's Hanukkah stories did a fair amount of teaching the customs to Gentiles... Someone said that so incredibly long ago, and I agree. Of course, I never saw the Weinertown (was that the name? I forget) special.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Of course, I never saw the Weinertown (was that the name? I forget) special.
Oh yeah Weinerville, I loved that show! I didn't get to see the special either but I remember all the advertisements for it, the host talking about how as a kid there was all these Christmas specials and nothing to represent him.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I do think these Anti-Drug PSA commercial puppets qualify as creepy (especially the drug dealer at the end of the first one ::shivers:: )

Hip Choice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV6PM8KjBZg

You know... the sad part of that is that the drug addict looks LESS ravaged than the kids in that one.

I'd tend to agree at least in terms of uncanny valley, but Super Marionation (not to be confused with a similar plumber based video game character) is one of the coolest kids of puppetry outside of Jim Henson style... there's just something amazing about that very humanistic world. I wish I had access to more of them.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know... the sad part of that is that the drug addict looks LESS ravaged than the kids in that one.
Actually...yeah you're right, lol.

Oh and how could we forget the 1980s music video for Genesis' "Land of Confusion," featuring a very creepy puppet of President Ronald Reagan!

Now to be clear, I actually think this was very good puppetry, I believe the same people even had a TV show for awhile, just parodying politicans. But you can't deny that it IS creepy (in fact I could barely watch it as a child!).

Land of Confusion (see how many celebrity puppets you can spot!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU9lv_WqK6k&feature=related

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I'm still stuck on the old PSA commercials for some reason, any thoughts on these guys?

"Same But Different"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvccCl-vsU4
Oh, New Kids on the Block. These guys came to my school and did a puppet show when I was in 3rd grade. I don't remember the puppets being that creepy-looking or being bunraku puppets. It's a great organization with a great cause, but they need some work I hate to say.

Oh, and on the subject of the Wienerville Hanukkah special. I remember that the show had been canceled for quite some time. I did watch it when they aired it that one time but haven't seen it since. It seems to have fallen into the abyss as you can't find it on YouTube either. I seem to remember a scene of Boney sliding down a snowy hill in a phone booth ending with the phone booth bursting through a paper wall of a cabin (that's at least how I remember it)...

Speaking of Nickelodeon, anybody remember "Attack of the Giant Vulture"? It was a 3-5 minute short film about a Big Bird-like vulture chasing some kids around Chinatown. That was pretty awesome even if a bit creepy for a Nickelodeon commercial.

Princeton

Reaction score
Oh, and on the subject of the Wienerville Hanukkah special. I remember that the show had been canceled for quite some time.
Yeah, they also did an Election Day special after the regular show was canceled (I'm guessing '95 or '96).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh, New Kids on the Block. These guys came to my school and did a puppet show when I was in 3rd grade. I don't remember the puppets being that creepy-looking or being bunraku puppets. It's a great organization with a great cause, but they need some work I hate to say.
Actually, New Kids on the Block is the name of that band, the puppet troupe was just Kids on the Block; but yeah, they do travel to schools, I remember when I was in Grade 4 or 5, they came to my school and did a show about a little girl having to deal with divorced parents.

OT - I'm sure I mentioned this somewhere before, but I almost got to puppeteer for Kids on the Block... but I guess I fell through the cracks, because I never got called in to audition. *Shrug*

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
These guys came to my school and did a puppet show when I was in 3rd grade. I don't remember the puppets being that creepy-looking or being bunraku puppets. It's a great organization with a great cause, but they need some work I hate to say.
D'Snowth said:
Actually, New Kids on the Block is the name of that band, the puppet troupe was just Kids on the Block; but yeah, they do travel to schools, I remember when I was in Grade 4 or 5, they came to my school and did a show about a little girl having to deal with divorced parents.
Oh ok that's cool, thanks for the additional information!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually...yeah you're right, lol.

Oh and how could we forget the 1980s music video for Genesis' "Land of Confusion," featuring a very creepy puppet of President Ronald Reagan!

Now to be clear, I actually think this was very good puppetry, I believe the same people even had a TV show for awhile, just parodying politicans. But you can't deny that it IS creepy (in fact I could barely watch it as a child!).

Land of Confusion (see how many celebrity puppets you can spot!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU9lv_WqK6k&feature=related

That would be Spitting Image. I am quite familiar with their work... or as familiar as I can be since it's sort of a British thing.