Working with kids and puppet building

Blink

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

I just finished running a puppet building workshop with a group of 7 to 10 year olds. In the past I have held many workshops with a variety of ages of children. This I feel has been one of the better ones.

I decided to use the Project Puppet patterns with the students for this workshop. I made some simple modifications to the mouth (used 1/2 inch sheet foam instead of foam board) and I shrunk the pattern about 60% of its original size.

Everything went really well and I think the final puppets are great.

The students are now doing puppetry improve and we will soon be filming video shorts that will be edited and shown to the school/parents. I must say it is amazing to see the wonderful abilities of the younger generation. I am sure I have more than a few potential puppeteers/puppet builders in my class.

Anyways. I hope you enjoy the final puppets as much as I do.

See them here.

biblebetty

Reaction score
wow for first timers they did a great job. it looks like they had a lot of fun.

pjpiperhop

Reaction score
Hi Blink,

I just got back from rehearsing 16 of my puppeteers from age 12-19, read your post, and saw your pictures. They are terrific!
Several of my kids are interested in making their own puppets this summer. I had planned to use my Puppet Project patterns in teaching them how to build their own puppets.
It’s great to hear that that it went so well for you. I’ll let you know how I do with my puppeteers in this endeavor this summer.

renegade

Reaction score
Blink !!

Those look Great !!!
Thanks to projectpuppet.com for making such great pattern that can make professional looking puppet like those .
I can't get over how great they look!! you need to film them doing a bit or somthing and throw it up on you tube
kids have the greatest voices!

take care and thanks for speading the puppet goodness...
you just might have inspired the next henson !

wes

Reaction score
Awwwww, those kids did such a good job I wish I could do that with my kids. Good job Blink!!

Blink

Reaction score
biblebetty said:
wow for first timers they did a great job. it looks like they had a lot of fun.
Hey biblebetty,

I totally agree with you. It was tons of fun.

pjpiperhop said:
Hi Blink,

I just got back from rehearsing 16 of my puppeteers from age 12-19, read your post, and saw your pictures. They are terrific!
Several of my kids are interested in making their own puppets this summer. I had planned to use my Puppet Project patterns in teaching them how to build their own puppets.
It’s great to hear that that it went so well for you. I’ll let you know how I do with my puppeteers in this endeavor this summer.
Hi pjpiperhop,

I highly recommend using the Project Puppet patterns. Just remember that I had legal permission to use the pattern in this way. It is important to contact Project Puppet and try to do things the ethical way. Perhaps you can come to some sort of agreement for terms of use with the patterns.

I would love to hear about how it all goes. Be sure to let us know.:smile:

renegade said:
Those look Great !!!
Thanks to projectpuppet.com for making such great pattern that can make professional looking puppet like those .
I can't get over how great they look!! you need to film them doing a bit or somthing and throw it up on you tube
kids have the greatest voices!

take care and thanks for speading the puppet goodness...
you just might have inspired the next henson !
Hey renegade,

I will let the kids know you liked them. Yes Project Puppet's products are great. The plan is exactly what you are asking for. Short videos will be made and edited and then put up on You Tube for all to see.

I like to think that if there is anything these kids will take away with them from their school years it is a love of puppetry. I often imagine myself in the future watching some amazing puppetry on television (or something) and saying "Hey I taught that kid!". That would be a great feeling to know that I encouraged him or her to pursue puppetry. Thanks for your great post!

wes said:
Awwwww, those kids did such a good job I wish I could do that with my kids. Good job Blink!!
Hey wes,

There is no reason you can't do it with your kids. This was yet another experiment I enjoyed doing using the Project Puppet stuff. I wanted to see what kids could do. As you can see they are capable of quite a lot. Thanks for your kind words wes.

P.S. I think it is funny that you made your avatar with the four puppets like that. I believe that is the same way Project Puppet will be posting the children's puppets in their gallery.

intozlight

Reaction score
We just had a Puppet Workshop over the weekend with 12-15 yr olds. We used the "glorified sock puppet" Pattern. It was a blast.
I'll post pics soon.
Your kids are great. Aren't kids fun?

Blink

Reaction score
intozlight said:
We just had a Puppet Workshop over the weekend with 12-15 yr olds. We used the "glorified sock puppet" Pattern. It was a blast.
I'll post pics soon.
Your kids are great. Aren't kids fun?

Hi intozlight,

Great simple pattern to work with. I didn't want my guys to do any sewing this time aound. We just used the hotglue gun. I'd love to see the pictures of your puppet workshop as well. Thanks, the kids were super during the process. Kids are definately fun.

intozlight

Reaction score
Blink,

Finished the web page for our SOCK puppet workshop. Hope you enjoy the pics. I almost didn't put me in it - it was so hot and I was sweating like Miss Piggy lol. But it was unavoidable.
Let me know if you have any questions.
http://www.ripplesministry.org/photogallery/workshop2006/index.html

Blink

Reaction score
intozlight said:
Blink,

Finished the web page for our SOCK puppet workshop. Hope you enjoy the pics. I almost didn't put me in it - it was so hot and I was sweating like Miss Piggy lol. But it was unavoidable.
Let me know if you have any questions.
http://www.ripplesministry.org/photogallery/workshop2006/index.html
Hey intozlight,

Are any of these sock puppets being entered into the contest? If so I will not be able to look at them right now due to conflict of interests (being one of the judges). Please let me (and other judges) know before any of us look.

Thanks.