Wins an MTV Movie Award, Yoda Does

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
This is from star wars.com. Sadly, I probably won't see it for awhile, seeing as how MTV Canada snapped up the broadcast rights to this year's show (nobody gets MTV Canada up here):

Wins an MTV Movie Award, Yoda Does
June 02, 2003

Disproving the notion that MTV only caters to the younger generation, 900-year-old screen legend Yoda the Jedi Master received a prestigious MTV Movie Award in the category of Best Fight.

The 12th annual award ceremony taped this past weekend in Los Angeles. MTV viewers vote for the winners in the various categories -- which include such non-Academy standards as Best Kiss and Best Action Sequence. For the crowd-pleasing show-stopping duel between Yoda and Count Dooku, Episode II was honored with a golden popcorn tub trophy. "To win, I did not expect," said Yoda at the ceremony. "Promise myself, cry I would not."

In 2000, Episode I received an MTV Movie Award as the Podrace sequence was recognized as the Best Action Sequence of the year. This year's awards ceremony airs on MTV on June 5. Yoda's next movie is Star Wars: Episode III, which begins production this summer.

For more information, visit MTV's official site here.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I was wrong...I saw an item tonight on "Much News" that Much Music will be airing the MTV Movie Awards in Canada soon - next Saturday (June 7th) at 9 p.m.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Have the MTV Movie Awards even been aired HERE yet? I didn't think that was for another couple of days.

Anyway, Yoda won for best action sequence? Not best CGI character? Oh, well. I suppose Gollum got that. To me, they both deserved it. It would have been fun to see them get a tie... :smile:

"Begun the clone wars has..."

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Have the MTV Movie Awards even been aired HERE yet? I didn't think that was for another couple of days.
No, they're tomorrow (Thurs) night.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Thursday? Okay. That's what I thought. Most of those things air on a Thursday.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I LOVED the little intro before the award was given showning Jonny 5 from the Short Curcit flims and Gizmo from the Gremlins Films! some of my favorite movies!

Zack)Rowlf the, Major Imput!Dog.

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by Zack the Dog
I LOVED the little intro before the award was given showning Jonny 5 from the Short Curcit flims and Gizmo from the Gremlins Films!
Haha! Yeah, that was hilarious!:big_grin: And I thought Peter Jackson's acceptance speech was great too! Oh! And Harrison Ford's presentation where he just kept quoting his famous movie lines, that was excellent!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Every time I see this thread's title, it cracks me up!:crazy: :big_grin: :stick_out_tongue: :zany: :halo:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I (finally) saw this last night (I missed the original broadcast in Canada on Saturday because I was out) and it was great! The best part was when Yoda used the force as they tried to play him off. "Play off Yoda, no one does."

My other favorite line was "900 years old I may be, but does not mean down I am not." Yoda than gave a shout out that would make that annoying "Dawg" guy from American idol proud.

Andy Skekis stole the show though, I loved when he appeared to accept an award for best virtual performance only to have Gollum show up, steal his popcorn trophy and curse and swear about hating MTV, Peter Jackson, and making Lord of the Rings and giving the camera the finger.

Best exchange of the night:

Gollum (as Smigel) - "Nobby is friend."
Gollum (as Gollum) - "Nobby's a ***** freak!"

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I wish I could have seen that. Sounds like the Yoda bit was a great one.