Will Walter become the new Pepe?

Princeton

Reaction score
What I mean by this is Pepe started out on MT! and gradually became a stand-out character in all subsequent projects. This started out as a good thing: he was enjoyable to watch and audiences welcomed the idea of a new character to stand beside well loved standards like Kermit and Fozzie. But about the time you get to VMX and MWoO, the novelty of Pepe slowly started wearing off. So my question is will Walter (a brand new character that's getting a lot of hype) suffer the same rise and fall as a character as Pepe did?

dwmckim

Reaction score
Not quite sure the comparison between the two works. Pepe was introduced as a minor supporting character (and part of a duo) alongside a large group of new characters introduced simultaneously whereas Walter was created to be the star of his debut project.

Whether or not Walter is even used and to what extent in future projects is unknown for that matter.

Frogster

Reaction score
He's not gonna be the new Pepe. If anything, he's a lot like a mix of Scooter and Robin. Pepe's got a different personality.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This really is putting the horse before the cart, isn't it?

All hypothetical... let's say the movie's so successful that there IS a TV show and future projects. I can't see him having a major role, but I can't see him shoved into the background either. I'd see him somewhere second or third tier character about where Scooter or the Pigs in Space are. Maybe he'd have his own segment, maybe he'd pal around with Robin... it's too soon to tell, since we haven't even seen the movie yet.

As for Pepe, yeah. He came out of being a secondary/tertiary sketch character to fill in empty spots left by characters like Scooter, Rowlf, 2/5 of the Mayhem band... etc. etc.. to becoming the signature character of a performer. I'm convinced that's why Baby Bear became a major character, David needed his own Muppet to perform regularly. But the thing is, Bill is the official Rowlf now, and we're seeing a lot more of him in recent projects... and I wonder if that will diminish Pepe's role if Rowlf gets back into the spotlight.

As for movie characters in future projects... well, other than Polly and Clueless's UK only Muppets Tonight segment, they never added movie only characters to other projects (though they are also reusing some MTI pirates in minor bits). I do not count the Muppet Babies show, since something tells me that was going to happen all along, and they wanted to introduce it in MTM. But you never see Bill Gil and Jill outside of the movie (except for the racing video game)... and Spa'am never made an appearance outside either.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
i think walter could be a main character not as big as kermit piggy fozzie or gonzo or animal but like scooter rowlf or sweetums

if this movie does good i would love to see a tv show with walter with the gang of muppets maybe he can be called a muppet and be in future movies too

Scooterfan5

Reaction score
I don't think so. Walter seems more like Scooter. I think he could become a very popular character though.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i can see walter being like Bean...background but well known character...maybe down the road after the movie getting another tv special like christmas at his "brothers" house with a few Muppets or whatnot

If anything, he's a lot like a mix of Scooter and Robin.
and this is where its confusing to me..i feel that if he was made a perm Muppet, Scooter would be pushed out in favor of Walter

Walter's slowly growing on me i still feel he is to plain to be a big wig alongside Kermit Fozzie and Gonzo

Drtooth

Reaction score
Any answer would be, as I said, too soon to tell. It would depend on a LOT of factors, not just how the movie does.

Scooter and Rowlf just came back. They were already replaced, ONLY because they weren't officially recast (though Bill performed Rowlf a while now, just didn't say all too much with the exception of the Weezer making of the video until the Skateboarding Dog viral video). Scooter just made his major come back since Studio DC...though a couple lines here and there in VMX and his role in MOz were starting points. Scooter wasn't in a major project since Richard died until his one line dubbed by his brother in MFS. Characters like Johnny, Sal, VanNeuter... they all were created to fill that void... but now, certain characters have been recast and appear to be in the spotlight again... so if anything, the newer characters lost a little focus (partially due to Brian staying with JHC) and the old ones came back.

So... I don't think Walter would replace Scooter... I'd guess by now Scooter has some seniority under his belt and becomes more of a senior level personal assistant, behind the scenes guy. I'd tend to think Walter would have Scooter's intern type job, and actually look to him for advice.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
Lets look at it this way. One screen shot that I've shown people, is Kermit, Gonzo, Fozzie, Walter, Scooter, Rowlf and Animal in the car. I'm just glad Rowlf and Scooter are back in with the main gang.

Now for Walter becoming the new Pepe? Pfft. Pepe's lack of roles now are because Bill took on a few characters.
Lets look at his characters:
Howard Tubman: Gone after a Christmas Special.
Carl: Pops up a few times.
Johnny: Can't exist without Brian Henson.
Bobo: His only other main character that survived the transition.
Pepe: His break out character, all puppeteers have one.
But then he got saddled with S.Chef, Dr. Teeth, Lew Zealand, Rowlf, and who knows who else for this movie, Link Hogthrob probably, since it sounds like him. It's the same thing like with Steve and Rizzo.

Walter's a fresh new character, but he's a fan of the Muppets. He's Muppet Central in Muppet Form. He'll probably be around for Christmas Specials and what not.