Will Disney own Sesame Street?

mikealan

Reaction score
Will Disney have the rights to Sesame Street? The Muppets shouldn't be separate from the Sesame Street characters! They should become part of the Muppet family! I wonder why the Jim Henson Company no longer exists but Buena Vista created the Muppets Holding Company, and the SS characters should join this company! I was wondering if Toon Disney would show classic SS from Seasons 1-20 and 24-26.

ssetta

Reaction score
They would never, because Toon Disney is only for cartoons.

BEAR

Reaction score
The Sesame Street Muppets have always been owned separately by The Children's Television Workshop (now Sesame Workshop), the organization that produces the show.

beaker

Reaction score
BEAR said:
The Sesame Street Muppets have always been owned separately by The Children's Television Workshop (now Sesame Workshop), the organization that produces the show.
Actually Sesame Street was right under JHC along with Fraggle Rock and the Muppets until 2000 when the EM.TV merger happened. It's actually good Sesame is under seperate control and autonomy from Disney.

muppet maniac

Reaction score

Actually, the Sesame Street Muppets were `jointly` owned by The Jim Henson Company and CTW/Sesame Workshop. They each owned 50% of the characters.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
I really hope not. (sorry to you di-hard disney fans) but Disney hasnt impressesd me lately. I grew up on Disney, love the old stuff, but are going down, running out of ideas or something (so sick of the "2" movies... like Cinderella 2, a second movie should not be made after so many years, there should be like a rule or guideline of how many years... like 5-7)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
it could happen

I guess it could happen someday. But I don't think it would happen anytime soon. Of course, if Disney did buy Sesame Street, then a lot of rare segments could be more availible to the public.

Somebody wondered why the jim henson company no longer exists. Actually, it does exist. The jim Henson Company just no longer owns the rights to Sesame Street, the Muppets, or bear in The Big Blue House, but is still in buisness, and still owns the rights to farscape, Fraggle Rock, The dark Crystal, Emmit Otters Jug-Band Christmas (it's been common knowledge among us fans that Kermit will be edited from the upcoming DVD release), and others.

BEAR

Reaction score
Krazedmuppet said:
I really hope not. (sorry to you di-hard disney fans) but Disney hasnt impressesd me lately. I grew up on Disney, love the old stuff, but are going down, running out of ideas or something (so sick of the "2" movies... like Cinderella 2, a second movie should not be made after so many years, there should be like a rule or guideline of how many years... like 5-7)

Yeah, I am not too crazy about some of those "2" movies of the Walt Disney classics either. Why do that? Fun fact: Walt Disney did not like to do sequals. I wish the people at the Disney Company now would respect that.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Will Disney have the rights to Sesame Street? The Muppets shouldn't be separate from the Sesame Street characters! They should become part of the Muppet family! I wonder why the Jim Henson Company no longer exists but Buena Vista created the Muppets Holding Company, and the SS characters should join this company! I was wondering if Toon Disney would show classic SS from Seasons 1-20 and 24-26.

I read somewhere that Jim never wanted the Sesame Street characters OR the show to go to Disney.

However, I have the strangest feeling that Universal will get SS a couple of years later.

Voiceroy

Reaction score
ssetta said:
They would never, because Toon Disney is only for cartoons.
Then maybe they should stop airing that live-action "Power Rangers: SPD" crap. It's nothing like a cartoon, and yet they air it on TD.