Wierd Things you don't get

Misskermie

Reaction score
I was just thinking, what things characters have said that you didn't get?
I didn't get why Robin's fear of snakes kept him from sleeping.

Maybe if someone else gets it, they'll explain it to you! Give it a go!

Vincent L

Reaction score
The ending of Muppet Treasure Island. After Jim let the pirate go with the treasure, the Captain (Kermit) comes and says you're brave, and you're father will be proud of you. How come? He let the bad guy away with the treasure.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The ending of Muppet Treasure Island. After Jim let the pirate go with the treasure, the Captain (Kermit) comes and says you're brave, and you're father will be proud of you. How come? He let the bad guy away with the treasure.

I forget... didn't that sink the ship, or am I thinking of something else. Maybe he knew the ship would sink from the weight of the treasure.

Besides, if that's all that Long John cared about, I'd tend to think Kermit would let him have it at the risk of seeing any of his men in danger.

Hubert

Reaction score
I do get this ending...it's kind of hard to explain. You just understand it and can't really describe it. Like you said, he left the bad guy get away with the treasure, but from my point of view, it was an OK kind of thing. Kinda like a "Who cares, it's just material items," thing but not, I just am not sure how to put it into words...

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Vincent Liu said:
Well, the treasure really didn't matter to Kermit/Smollet--or to Jim. What DID matter is that Long John, despite being the villain, was legitimately Jim's friend. (Note when he specifically tells Jim to escape when the pirates start getting violent: "Because I like you, boy. I hope you didn't think I was lying about that." Also note the fact that after Jim lets him go, Long John returns the compass.)

The conflict for Jim in that scene is whether or not to do what's legally right, by stopping Long John from escaping... which would also mean betraying his friend. Since the punishment for piracy was hanging, if Jim had blown the whistle and caught Long John, he would have pretty much directly sentenced his friend to death. Either course of action, from Jim's perspective, would have felt horribly wrong.

That is why Kermit is there to assure him that he did make the right choice by being loyal to his friend.

Besides which, one jolly boat full of gold--and no food or other supplies--would only get Long John as far as the island, where it is highly unlikely for any other ship to happen by any time soon. So let Long John hang out on a now-uninhabited island. Why not? He can't hurt anyone from there, and the gold won't do him any good--not that he gets to keep it, anyway. As Drtooth was vaguely remembering, we find out from Sam that the jolly boat Long John was in was "terribly unsafe," which is why we see it sink--along with the gold, which the cruise ship rats later retrieve.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Well, the treasure really didn't matter to Kermit/Smollet--or to Jim. What DID matter is that Long John, despite being the villain, was legitimately Jim's friend. (Note when he specifically tells Jim to escape when the pirates start getting violent: "Because I like you, boy. I hope you didn't think I was lying about that." Also note the fact that after Jim lets him go, Long John returns the compass.)
I do kinda agree. I mean, I think that Kermit's comment that Jim's Father would have been proud WAS regarding Jim's loyalty to a friend (at no danger to anyone else...really).

However, its certainly debatable whether or not Silver was a real friend to Jim. Sure he saved him that one time...but it could be argued that this was just to give him an ally on the good side to use later. Silver was really more of a user than a friend, in my opinion.

But it was STILL the right decision. I've made similar (much less life threatening) decisions where I've let friends get away with (not illegal) things for the sake of our friendship. From Jim's side at least, the friendship was real.

Hubert

Reaction score

The conflict for Jim in that scene is whether or not to do what's legally right, by stopping Long John from escaping... which would also mean betraying his friend. Since the punishment for piracy was hanging, if Jim had blown the whistle and caught Long John, he would have pretty much directly sentenced his friend to death. Either course of action, from Jim's perspective, would have felt horribly wrong.

That is why Kermit is there to assure him that he did make the right choice by being loyal to his friend.

Besides which, one jolly boat full of gold--and no food or other supplies--would only get Long John as far as the island, where it is highly unlikely for any other ship to happen by any time soon. So let Long John hang out on a now-uninhabited island. Why not? He can't hurt anyone from there, and the gold won't do him any good--not that he gets to keep it, anyway. As Drtooth was vaguely remembering, we find out from Sam that the jolly boat Long John was in was "terribly unsafe," which is why we see it sink--along with the gold, which the cruise ship rats later retrieve.
Yeah. That's pretty much what I wanted to say. Except as Beau said, it is debatable about their friendship. Regardless, I thing it was a kind of peace thing. Like, Jim didn't want to see anyone (Even the villain) hanged or punished, so he let him go.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Also, Kermit was ALWAYS seen the best in people, "I have a dream too! But its about singing and dancing and making people happy."

Misskermie

Reaction score
I think he was proud because of the fact that he might have known that the boat was going to sink. You know, with all the wieght on one little boat.