why were there three gordons?

BEAR

Reaction score
Xerus said:
It seems like Miles and Gabi are the official teens of Sesame Street today. I can remember when Big Bird first saw them as babies. Now they've suddenly become older than him. :confused:

Yeah...hey, you think Miles and Gabi will end up together as a couple? It sure seems to be heading that way. :wink:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
dvakman said:
Actually, there was a changeover scene on screen for both Gordon transitions. Unfortunately these episodes were not included on Noggin.

In episode 405, it is revealed that Gordon is in fact a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey. When a Time Lord is killed, rather than dying, he is able to regenerate into a new body, thus cheating death. In the closing moments of this episode, the Matt Robinson Gordon is playing basketball with the kids, when one kid accidentally whacks Gordon on the head, causing him to fall and have a serious concussion. The final moments of that season showed Big Bird, Susan, Bob, Mr. Hooper and Tom looking on as Gordon amazingly transforms into his new form, played by Hal Miller. Raposo wrote some wonderful "mystical" music for the transformation scene. Ironically, it was also Tom's last appearance on the show but his leaving was left unexplained.

Later, in episode 665, the Hal Miller Gordon is poisoned by a rotten birdseed milkshake unknowingly given to him by Mr. Hooper. As it turns out, Oscar had a plan to switch the milkshakes when Hooper wasn't looking, so that Big Bird would get a foul tasting one. This rotten birdseed shake apparently wouldn't have hurt a bird that much, but Oscar didn't know it could be fatal to humans. Anyway, Oscar accidentally switched the rotten birdseed milkshake with a strawberry italian soda instead of Big Bird's shake, which is how the mixup involving Hooper and Gordon occurs. Hal Miller's Gordon gets very sick and Oscar learns a lesson about the consequences of his pranks. This time, Gordon begins to transform in Hooper's store as the credits start rolling. At the end, to the cast's surprise, the new Roscoe Orman Gordon sits up and says his very first line on the show, "Sesame Street is a production of the Children's Television Workshop". What an ending that was!
Are you serious? That seems a little extreme for something that would happen on "Sesame Street." I believe you. I just find that strange. I thought they just happened to bring on the new Gordon's without anybody on the show noticing that he changed. I guess it would explain why Hal Miller's Gordon only lasted a year since at the time the writers and people watching the show would still remember that he was a Time Lord. They probably wouldn't make any references to that in any new eps though.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
three gordons, three pages

I just realized something. there were three gordons, and now this thread has three pages. incredible.

as for gabbi and miles still being on the show as teens, I was talking about characters who started out as teenagers. gabbi and miles started out as babies. and miles was recently recast.

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I just realized something. there were three gordons, and now this thread has three pages. incredible.

as for gabbi and miles still being on the show as teens, I was talking about characters who started out as teenagers. gabbi and miles started out as babies. and miles was recently recast.

I didn't say the characters didn't start out as babies. I just said they are on the show now as teens and who knows if they will stay on. By the way, Gabi had been recast as well.

ssetta

Reaction score
dvakman said:
Actually, there was a changeover scene on screen for both Gordon transitions. Unfortunately these episodes were not included on Noggin.

In episode 405, it is revealed that Gordon is in fact a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey. When a Time Lord is killed, rather than dying, he is able to regenerate into a new body, thus cheating death. In the closing moments of this episode, the Matt Robinson Gordon is playing basketball with the kids, when one kid accidentally whacks Gordon on the head, causing him to fall and have a serious concussion. The final moments of that season showed Big Bird, Susan, Bob, Mr. Hooper and Tom looking on as Gordon amazingly transforms into his new form, played by Hal Miller. Raposo wrote some wonderful "mystical" music for the transformation scene. Ironically, it was also Tom's last appearance on the show but his leaving was left unexplained.

Later, in episode 665, the Hal Miller Gordon is poisoned by a rotten birdseed milkshake unknowingly given to him by Mr. Hooper. As it turns out, Oscar had a plan to switch the milkshakes when Hooper wasn't looking, so that Big Bird would get a foul tasting one. This rotten birdseed shake apparently wouldn't have hurt a bird that much, but Oscar didn't know it could be fatal to humans. Anyway, Oscar accidentally switched the rotten birdseed milkshake with a strawberry italian soda instead of Big Bird's shake, which is how the mixup involving Hooper and Gordon occurs. Hal Miller's Gordon gets very sick and Oscar learns a lesson about the consequences of his pranks. This time, Gordon begins to transform in Hooper's store as the credits start rolling. At the end, to the cast's surprise, the new Roscoe Orman Gordon sits up and says his very first line on the show, "Sesame Street is a production of the Children's Television Workshop". What an ending that was!
WOW! Now do you actually REMEMBER these? Where did you get this info??

Censored

Reaction score
ssetta said:
WOW! Now do you actually REMEMBER these? Where did you get this info??

Nah, our friend dvakman was just joking with us. But, it's interesting fan fiction.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I agree. I was taken in for a second, but the more I thought about it, the less believable it sounds. Was there ever really an explanation of how he changed though? Or did they just put the other guys on without anybody making a mention of that.

Also I realize that Gordon's not the only character that was played by more than one actor. (Ex: Miles, Gabi, Mr. Hanford) But there is quite a difference in the appearance of the Matt Robinson Gordon and the Roscoe Orman Gordon. You'd think they'd make some mention of why his appearance changed so children watching would understand.

In fact, did they ever explain why Oscar's fur changed from orange to green or how Big Bird's appearance changed? Thought I'd ask about those things while we were on the subject.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
there is quite a difference in the appearance of the Matt Robinson Gordon and the Roscoe Orman Gordon. You'd think they'd make some mention of why his appearance changed so children watching would understand.
I don't think there are too many differences. hal Miller pretty much looks like matt Robinson without a mustache, and Roscoe orman looks like matt Robinson without hair. For the third gordon, they could have used the replacement as an opportunity to talk about being bald.

Daffyfan2003 said:
In fact, did they ever explain why Oscar's fur changed from orange to green or how Big Bird's appearance changed? Thought I'd ask about those things while we were on the subject.
I think I have read that it was explained that oscar went on vacation to the swamp and it was so muddy that his fur changed overnight. I don't think the secodn Big Bird looks too different from the original, so it probably didn't need to be mentioned. I think his personality was just changed, but he had the same basic look, and isn't too different from the various ways that ernie, bert, cookie monster, grover (not counting the green grover), herry or elmos looks have changed.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have seen pictures of both Matt and Hal and you're right. Their looks are pretty similar so I guess that wouldn't require an explanation. But when comparing Matt with Roscoe, you can see a difference. I guess we can say the change was something that gradually took place. After all, in a way it was referenced in a recent ep that Gordon used to have an afro. In the band episode where they did a flash back to the 70s. I realize that was Roscoe in costume there, but I think that might have been a reference to Matt's Gordon. Just a thought that crossed my mind.