Why was Oscar orange and then green?

WiGgY

Reaction score
When disscussing possible SS figures in another thread someone, actually a few people, mentioned an Oscar in case repaint that would be orange because Oscar was originally orange. Does anyone know why he was turned green? Also, is there a picture of orange Oscar on the web somewhere?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Orange just wasn't Oscar's color. :grouchy:

I think this is explained in Caroll Spinney's new book. Haven't read it yet, but, I hear it's real good.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
There has been posted pictures of orange Oscar on the Forum some where.

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
For the complete story on Oscar as well as others the book is definitely worth picking up...it really is reasonably priced...you should check it out.

WiGgY

Reaction score
Cool thanks. Orange Oscar looks so weird. I had no idea there were so many changes, like apprently Grover was brown. Now I have to buy the book to find out why Oscar got changed, though I think someone alluded to it being a brightness issue.

Beakie

Reaction score
I thought Grover was green... well either way he would look weird. The orange Oscar is really weird and I guess he is kinda too bright, it doesn't seem to fit his non-bright personality...

doctort13

Reaction score
I am proud to have met the O.O.O. (Original Orange Oscar) at a Boston puppetry convention around 1970. Did you know that he was going to be purple ?

bleak!:grouchy:

I'd love to see Sesame figures with a O.O.O. variant.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Here's the scoop on how OSCAR turned from orange to green and how they explained it on the show:

OSCAR was orange in the first season, 1969-1970.

Carroll Spinney was gonna perform OSCAR as a guest on the old Flip Wilson Show in 1970, but by that time, it was agreed that the puppet would be re-designed, but with the original eyebrows intact, with a new green color, because the old orange one wasn't working.

So, Don Sahlin and Kermit Love, the Muppet builders of the time, gave him a new look for the grouch's first green appearance ever in public, the Flip Wilson Show.

Spinney said that the producers at SESAME were pretty irked that they weren't notified of this drastic change, but by that time, the original orange Oscar had been destroyed and taken apart to make the new green one, so they just lived with it.

His first green appearance on SESAME STREET, however, was popping out of the can on the 1970 Season Premiere, as Big Bird sang: "Everyone Makes Mistakes." They later explained on a different show that he had turned green because he spent a week at some grouch camp and the something caused his fur to change colors.

This is all paraphrased from Mr. Spinney's autobiography.