Why Only Frank Oz?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I was just thinking today how several of us have said Frank Oz should come back to the Muppets long enough to direct a movie, but why only Frank Oz?

With all the people who have been associated with Jim Henson who are still around, why not them?

Why wouldn't we want to see Dave Goelz or Jerry Nelson direct as well? I'd love to see that happen.

Brian and Bill have already directed, wonder what Steve could bring to a new movie?

Obviously, this is considering they would WANT to direct, but I think it would be a blast.

The only thing I would have to say Frank would have to be a MUST for is if they would have only got him to perform the role of the Wizard in the MWoO movie.

So, what do you think?

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Can I be honest? It'd be awesome if James Frawley could direct another movie.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Good idea--but, is he still alive? I can't recall hearing either way.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Probably because Frank has the most directorial experience.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think it might be bacause it's a trust thing among fans. We know he knows how to do it the right way. But I agree, it would be great to see what others associated with the company have to offer.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think it's just mainly that Frank's the only main "classic" performer who seemed to show any interest and had actually done it before. So we just naturally gravitate to him rather than the others. (Other than Richard of course, I get the impression he might have kept directing after the 2nd to last Fraggle episode).

lowercasegods

Reaction score
James Frawley is still alive. The guy's been directing a bunch of TV episodes of top shows. The guy is one of the best comedy directors ever.

I'd say the reason why people want Frank do direct another Muppet project rather than any other Muppet performer is simply based on experience and desire. Aside from Brian Henson and Richard who directed a few episodes of Fraggle Rock, Frank and Jim were the only one's who showed an interest and aptitude to direct. I'm sure if, say, Dave Goelz wanted to direct a Muppet piece that he'd be given a shot. But I think we would have heard from someone in the performer's stable by now if they'd wanted to. Personally, for all the issues I've had with Brian Henson's decision making in the past few years, I've always felt he was one of the strongest Muppet directors, just Below Jim, Frank and Steve Barron.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
heralde said:
(Other than Richard of course, I get the impression he might have kept directing after the 2nd to last Fraggle episode).
Yeah, he did direct some Muppet productions after FR but before his death. And I think that, if Richard hadn't died at such a young age, he might have been next in line to direct a full-length Muppet movie, or perhaps a new Muppet show. I can really see him taking on something like that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's right, Richard directed the "Sing Along, Dance Along, Do Along" video too.

Frank Oz was often credited as "Creative Consultant" in various Muppet projects. In an interview he joked that the title basically meant he was allowed to sit in on writers' meetings. Sort of an in-training thing. I saw an episode of Ghost of Faffner Hall a little while ago, and Richard was credited as "Creative Consultant." So he may very well have been next in line. It would have been interesting to see what he came up with later on.

And yeah it would be interesting to see James Frawley's work again.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well Frank was also sitting in on the writeing meetings of the Muppet Show. You can see that in the Muppets to Men show.