Why has Sesame Street done multiple-episode stories?

salemfan

Reaction score
I noticed that for about 5 years, there has been a practice of each Sesame Street season having at least one multiple-episode story. Here are some:
Season 31(originally aired in 1997):Slimey in Space
Season 32:Hurricane on Sesame Street
Season 33:None
Season 34:Birth of Curly Bear
Season 35:Snuffy and the magic ukulele
Does anybody know why Sesame Street has had multiple-episode stories?

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
There has actually been a lot of other times when this has happened. They went to Mexico in the 1975-1976 season, they aired 6 episodes when they went to Hawiai in 1978, Multiple episodes in 1979 when they went to Puero Rico, Big Bird goes to camp in 1982, There was Multiple episodes when Maria gave birth to Gabi in Season 20, in Season 22, I think that season holds a record cause they had 3 different times when they did multiple episodes. The week they Rebuilt Hooper's Store, The Week they built the new Garden, and there was a 2 part episode about a Hurricane that season. In Season 23 they went to Montana and there was 4 episodes about that, including one about when they were getting ready to leave, and one when they first return to Sesame Street.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What do you mean when they "rebuilt" Hooper's Store? The new garden was only one episode, unless you're not talking about the one where Elmo writes a book about it and he and the kids share it with Maria.

salemfan

Reaction score
Well, I guess the multiple-episode stories are done when something special occurs on Sesame Street. Was the "Worm Olympics" a set of multiple episodes?

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
Actually they did the worm Olympics once in Season 24 and then another episode in Season 26. I think the one in season 26 was the worm winter Olympics.

ssetta

Reaction score
Actually, the Winter Olympics were in Season 24, and the Summer Olympics were in Season 26.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Don_Music_2004 said:
There has actually been a lot of other times when this has happened. They went to Mexico in the 1975-1976 season, they aired 6 episodes when they went to Hawiai in 1978, Multiple episodes in 1979 when they went to Puero Rico, Big Bird goes to camp in 1982, There was Multiple episodes when Maria gave birth to Gabi in Season 20, in Season 22, I think that season holds a record cause they had 3 different times when they did multiple episodes. The week they Rebuilt Hooper's Store, The Week they built the new Garden, and there was a 2 part episode about a Hurricane that season. In Season 23 they went to Montana and there was 4 episodes about that, including one about when they were getting ready to leave, and one when they first return to Sesame Street.
actually it was New Mexico they went to. i rememeber Luis' family lived there. it was i think the 1st time any of the SS cast went off the set and out of the N.Y. area. what even interesting about this week long show is while i probably rememebr it being 1975-1976, i also seemed to have rememebered seeing aired again a littlew more than a year after it first aired. same thing with the cast going to Hawaii.

Stupendous Man

Reaction score
Don_Music_2004 said:
Are you sure Sesame Street did multiple episodes for Puerto Rico in 1979? The reason I'm asking is because only one was shown on Noggin, and I saw what I think is that same episode as a TV special of some sort on the Internet Movie Database (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337176/). I also remember hearing they went to Kenya or something, but I don't know the exact season or year :embarrassed:.

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
Well I have heard through various refferences that there were Multiple Puerto Rico episodes, it's just that Noggin only aired one. This is similar to the way they didn't air the episode just before Maria had Gabi, when Oscar saves the day by picking her up in his Sloppy Jalopy when Gordon and Susan's car won't start. Oscar kisses Luis in this episode cause he is so greatful. I have never seen this episode, but I saw a clip of it on an episode from Season 24, when Oscar is remminising about things he did with his car in the past.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
tes the time when Maria and the cast went to Puerto Rico to visit her family was a week long episode. i rememeber seeing it.