Why Disney? Or Episode One: The Phantom Mouse

radionate

Reaction score
I have to agree with Beaker on Shrek. I'm one of the only people I know who didn't really enjoy it all that much. I thought Monsters Inc. was far better (but nothing will ever touch Toy Story 2 IMHO)

:big_grin:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I just never enjoyed the Toy Story films that much. Monsters Inc had some spectacular craftmanship, but it played the kids angle too much for my taste. I dod enjoy it and one can't beat the modeling, but I like Shrek much better. It spoke to more than just the kids and that's what I like in an animated film.

radionate

Reaction score
I see your point. I guess I just thought Shrek went for cheap laughs at times. I just don't know what it is about the film that I don't like. I've never been able to put my finger on it. I am interested to see what the sequel will be like. I'm hoping it will focus on more of the fairy tale folk. That's my absolute favorite part of the movie. There are tons of subtle jokes that you have to search out in the scenes. I love the fact that Peter Pan is in the background turning in Tinkerbell!!!!

Thog

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
\ I am interested to see what the sequel will be like. I'm hoping it will focus on more of the fairy tale folk. \
Here is what they have to say about the sequel.

The film picks up right where the first movie ended... Shrek and Fiona return from their honeymoon to find a letter from Fiona's parents inviting the newlyweds over for dinner. The only problem is that they have no idea that their daughter is now an ogre.

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by Thog

Here is what they have to say about the sequel.

The film picks up right where the first movie ended... Shrek and Fiona return from their honeymoon to find a letter from Fiona's parents inviting the newlyweds over for dinner. The only problem is that they have no idea that their daughter is now an ogre.
Who is "they", and please tell me "they" are kidding. What are they going to call it, Shreks Whose Coming To Dinner?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This sequel doesn't sound too great to me, but I never thought I'd like the first one so much.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate

Who is "they", and please tell me "they" are kidding. What are they going to call it, Shreks Whose Coming To Dinner?
Oh man, this reminds me of a great gag on "Designing Women" about that movie...*snickers*

You go, Suzanne! :big_grin:

Blind Pew

Reaction score
Originally posted by Thog

The only problem is that they have no idea that their daughter is now an ogre.
Is she an ogre?

PS. Thog, I LOVE your avatar of Patsy!

Cheers Sweetie Darling

Smig

Reaction score
From the CHINA DAILY NEWS (Via CARTOON RESEARCH) Disney skimps on animation

LOS ANGELES: The Walt Disney Co, which built its international fame on animated features, is cutting corners on the quality of its latest products to save money, animators charge.

They say the company's cost-cutting includes skimping on the quality of straight-to-video sequels of popular Disney features and executives meddling with the creative process.

The company has recently taken other cost-cutting measures, such as closing 50 retail stores, cutting operating hours at theme parks, reducing movie studio costs and eliminating 4,000 jobs to counteract the effects of a sluggish economy.

"They don't have long-term plans to keep traditional artists. I hear how unfair and how 'un-American' it is, but the bottom line is that the corporation doesn't care. If laying people off is what they have to do, they'll do it. There is no family, it's a ruthless shark tank," said Steve Hulett, business representative of the Motion Picture Screen Cartoonist Local 839.

Animator Brian Mitchell is selling T-shirts online saying "No more cheapquels!" - his term for the cheap, animated sequels that Disney has produced for the straight-to-video market.

While the company banks on the public's recognition of "Cinderella" and "Peter Pan," its sequels have weaker characters and story lines and are made with lower quality animation and with budgets at a fraction of the cost of the original films, animators say.

Smig

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Smig thanks for sharing the story with us! Interesting stuff.