Why are recent Muppets tries all flops?

BEAR

Reaction score
I don't think Kermit completely took a backseat. It was just a film that explains what we have all been trying to figure out for over 30 years or however long they have been around. Kermit took a little more of a supporting role to Gonzo for once and that's okay. He was still there in the role he has always been and that is the peacemaker, the voice of reason, the leader of the group. He is the one who sat at the end of the breakfast table! And he led the group to go and save Gonzo. There is nothing wrong with that. I would however agree that I dearly miss having original Muppet music.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
agreeing with Bear,
MFS was the story of Gonzo kermit wasnt meant to be the lead,and if you look back he wasnt the lead really in MCC or MTI he was a main character but wasnt the main one. and like many of you are saying i agree with the singing and dancing i miss it its what made the muppets in the other films maybe we should just all storm the muppet studios and write songs and stories for them hopefully everyone will be happy then :smile:

That Announcer

Reaction score
GregJ said:
The Muppets need to STOP doing their versions of other peoples' films. Whenever I see anyone doing a parody I think, 'Okay they're not smart enough to come up with a premise of their own, so they're going to rip off someone else's idea.'
They make it their own well enough, don't they? A parody is NOT a rip off, so long as it's done right. Weird Al knows how to do it right, and so do the Muppets.

Greg said:
The Muppets need to STOP trying to be 'edgy.' It isn't apropriate for any muppet to make jokes about nipples. It just comes across as vulgar & parents watching with their kids certainly won't approve, & will probably think twice before letting their kids watch Muppets in the future. Muppets are NOT vulgar or edgy, they're sweet, funny & goofy.
Vulgar, no. Edgy? ALWAYS. The Muppets have been edgy from the very beginning of TMS. There were sexual references in that show- the Raquel Welch episode, for example. The Muppets are and were not 'just for kids.' I'm not so sure the "sweet, funny & goofy" line comes off for a few of them- say, oh, Janice, Animal, Piggy, Pepe, Crazy Harry...

Greg said:
The Muppets need to start SINGING & DANCING again.

Cut back on all the characters: Center the stories around Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie & Gonzo. I know everyone loves Pepe, so have him jump in with a funny comment now & then. But Kermit should always play the lead. I didn't care for MFS just because Kermit took a back seat to Gonzo. Gonzo is funniest when he jumps in ocassionally & says something bizarre (but not vulgar).
I'll reiterate what I've always said: there is NO CORE MUPPET GROUP. Kermit is always hilarious, but then again, so is Scooter. Let a different Muppet take the lead. Or have many leads. Or have NO lead, and a bunch of small roles. That'd work. Centering the Muppet films around four Muppets would make something other than a Muppets film. Rather than a Muppets film, we'd have a Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie & Gonzo film. It wouldn't work.

Greg said:
Get some NEW WRITERS. I thought the script for MFS was absolutely terrible, poorly structured, nothing but parodies of this movie & that movie, UGH.
Now here's where I agree with you some. I think that different writers should do the next film, but I think it should be Craig Shemin, Kirk Thatcher & Jim Lewis. Kirk has proved himself able and willing to write for the Muppets with MT and MTI, and Shemin & Lewis wrote the Muppet Show Live deal. I say let them write.

GregJ

Reaction score
There's no core Muppet group? Look back through all the films & tell me who the stories centered around: Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo.

I wouldn't extole the virtues of the writing on 'Muppets Tonite,' that show was cancelled, after all.

Parodies ARE rip-offs, plain & simple, no matter how well they're done. The nature of a parody is to do your own version of a PRE-EXISTING PIECE.

The Muppets, up to now, are thought of by the general public as 'family entertainment,' keep making vulgar jokes & that image will change, for the worse.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
They make it their own well enough, don't they? A parody is NOT a rip off, so long as it's done right. Weird Al knows how to do it right, and so do the Muppets.

Vulgar, no. Edgy? ALWAYS. The Muppets have been edgy from the very beginning of TMS. There were sexual references in that show- the Raquel Welch episode, for example. The Muppets are and were not 'just for kids.' I'm not so sure the "sweet, funny & goofy" line comes off for a few of them- say, oh, Janice, Animal, Piggy, Pepe, Crazy Harry...

I'll reiterate what I've always said: there is NO CORE MUPPET GROUP. Kermit is always hilarious, but then again, so is Scooter. Let a different Muppet take the lead. Or have many leads. Or have NO lead, and a bunch of small roles. That'd work. Centering the Muppet films around four Muppets would make something other than a Muppets film. Rather than a Muppets film, we'd have a Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie & Gonzo film. It wouldn't work.

Now here's where I agree with you some. I think that different writers should do the next film, but I think it should be Craig Shemin, Kirk Thatcher & Jim Lewis. Kirk has proved himself able and willing to write for the Muppets with MT and MTI, and Shemin & Lewis wrote the Muppet Show Live deal. I say let them write.
what exactly happened in the Raquel Welch episode?

GregJ

Reaction score
It was standard 'Muppet Show' fare. Raquel did a couple of songs, one was with Piggy (who didn't like Raquel AT ALL). At one point Raquel invited Fozzie up to her room, & he asked her if he could bring his mother along. That's about as 'edgy' as it got.

HPDJ

Reaction score
Singing must be brought back!

That Announcer

Reaction score
Regarding the Raquel episode: at the very beginning, Scooter comes into her dressing room. She's in there practising Shakespeare- says she wants to "change her image." Scooter says "Well, OK, we'll be supportive. No one on this show is gonna tell you to dress up in scanty outfits and do dances!"

You then see (if memory serves me right) Crazy Harry, Teeth, Floyd and Fozzie stick their heads around a corner and go, "Oh please! Oh please!"

beaker

Reaction score
GregJ said:
It was standard 'Muppet Show' fare. Raquel did a couple of songs, one was with Piggy (who didn't like Raquel AT ALL). At one point Raquel invited Fozzie up to her room, & he asked her if he could bring his mother along. That's about as 'edgy' as it got.
Heh, you never saw the Muppet's Land of Gorch Saturday Night Live sketches...I cant even hint what some of those skits were about:smile:

That Announcer

Reaction score
"It's a fan letter to.... Lily Tomlin!"

That's about the safest we can get without... um... "dirtying things up", so to speak, right, Cory? :embarrassed: