Why 2005 Will Be Our Glorious Year

beaker

Reaction score
Yes, we do live in a surreal world...one where the Red Sox can come back from an impossible loss, where Arnold is a governor, and where MArtha Stewart is in prison. It's a surreal world...and for most of us it was a big shock when Disney finally bought the Muppets and Bear from JHC. But now we have had some time to reflect, and let things settle. I now believe fully 2005 will be that glorious Muppet re-emergence I've been hoping for on here since 1998. Sometimes it takes what it takes, and I think when we reflect historically we'll see this was the only chess move the Hensons could make.

So rather turn this into an opinion piece, I will make this into a checklist headline of why this year will be a continuation of the last great Muppet year of 1989.

*for starters, check out http://www.muppets.com/ Now tell me that doesnt make you excited. Think if the Muppets were still with JHC, we'd ever see an update of that site? No way jose.

*No Disney's Muppets insignia...ok no Jim Henson insignia, but better than a "Disney's Muppets" thing on packaging.

*More than just sporadic game show, commercial and talk show appearences.
Yes, the Muppets have been pretty underground for some time, least as far as us big folks. Perhaps we can like this to pre 97 Star Wars fandom, when Star Wars fans were mostly still underground after the 80's; and post 1997 Star Wars where everyone became a huge fan again. Disney will reintroduce the Muppets to the public and world at large again. We havent seen this since the 80's really.

Now the cons:

*I'm still not sold on the decision for the next Muppet project to be Muppet Oz, tho I hold out a tiny bit of hope this will have some edge to it, and not be totally banal and limp.

*No actual theatrical film to look forward to

*No prime time show to look forward to

*possible saturation of quanity over quality merchandise. So far, since 2001 most the merch has been obscure, brilliant, and overall very very cool. Though I do like some of the Muppet Disney stuff, like the MV3D stuff.

Ok, so perhaps the cons outweigh the bad, but Im sure we can all find some good in this. If they release Muppets @WDW on dvd, and expand the Muppet attractions(add in that Chef diner, make a new Muppet park exclusive feature, etc)

I'm curious if anyone 'in the know' on here is sitting on some possible juicy rumors that would make us all giddy, or if we just have to hold out hope the Muppets grand reemergence will be wrought with endless goodness.

One final note, perhaps it was better JHC handed off FR to HIT, given they might do a better job at keeping FR going than Disney. Even tho Disney and JHC did partner for the FR home release in 1993. I will say the Disney/JHC parnership in the early 90's yielded some pretty ho hum video releases, and generally was not very good. I have high hopes now though.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
2005 darn sure better be our glorious year, or I'm returning the whole year to the store where I bought it. Now, where did I leave my receipt...

Seriously, I have high hopes for this year. If there's one thing Disney (as a corporation) knows how to do, it's market their entertainment products. With the right creative people involved, this could be a great year for Muppetdom all around!

McFraggle

Reaction score
I agree with you guys, and I hope it is a good year as well. :big_grin:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I hope 2005 will be a good year for the Muppets. Only time will tell!