Who's your favorite Disney princess?

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
Belle has always been my favorite. As a child I was elated that there was a brunette Disney princess. Beauty and the Beast is also the first movie I remember seeing in a theater.

And BTW I've never considered Mulan a princess (as much as I love that movie).

Drtooth

Reaction score
She isn't. She never was. They just threw her in to sell dolls. And the worst part is, out of all the "princesses" she was the least feminine. I seem to remember her being dressed up nicely in the "Bring Honor to Us All" number and not being too happy about it.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
I used to know/work with a girl who was from Myanmar (she came to the U.S. for school). One night a group of coworkers went to her house to watch Mulan, as it was her favorite movie. Someone referred to Mulan as a princess, to which I replied I didn't understand why someone would say she was one, and all the females in the room fell silent and stared at me as though I had committed a sin.

Drtooth

Reaction score
She was the daughter of a soldier and a possible wife to an army general if anything. That doesn't make a princess. It makes a woman with barely that much political clout.

All the other ones are princesses by birth or marriage, Mulan is neither. They just wanted to add an ethnic character to the mostly white (as the fairy tales they've had are European) line up.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Spoiler alert, I saw the movie a couple weeks ago on ABC Family.

Tiana is a princess. She ends up marrying Prince Naveen at the movie's ending, thereby becoming a princess, kissing him and braking the curse wraught by Dr. Facilier.

Funny thing is, after seeing the movie, I think the creative staff behind Princess and The Frog must have thought along the lines of:
"Hey, you know what would be really funny? Okay, so we've got the story where the girl kisses the frog turning him back into a prince. Remember that old Sesame Street News Flash sketch? The one where a prince rejects all the other suitors because Kermit's there covering the event as a reporter, and she heard the same story... And then after she kisses him, instead of the frog turning into a prince, the princess turns into a frog. Yeah, let's use that for our movie!"

As for Mulan, I've got nothing. But at least she was given a prominent role as friend and bodyguard to both Aurora and Prince Phillip in Once Upon a Time.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Now someone had to mention Once upon a time...the funny thing about that show is it is backed by Disney so you get things like the named dwarves... but Mulan being forced in there seemed off at first...but hey Frankenstein is on the show and it all grows on you...but going back to favorite princesses though I love the portrayal of Belle on the show (and was quite upset when they had her memory changed )

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I feel like Sleeping Beauty is a bit of an underrated Disney classic.
I think Sleeping Beauty would have been successful whether it had the Disney label or not, it has a gorgeous soundtrack, endearing, timeless characters and you can watch it as an adult and notice things you weren't aware of as a child.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now someone had to mention Once upon a time...the funny thing about that show is it is backed by Disney so you get things like the named dwarves... but Mulan being forced in there seemed off at first...but hey Frankenstein is on the show and it all grows on you...but going back to favorite princesses though I love the portrayal of Belle on the show (and was quite upset when they had her memory changed )
That's why I could never bother with that show. They want to be like stone cold serious with these characters, and they use something inbetween the Disney and darker versions of them. And I'd totally understand if they were just the medieval fairy tales, like Snow White and Cinderella... but they go for 1800's Pinoccio (or at least their Jiminny Cricket, only darker) and turn of the century Peter Pan's Captain Hook. Sure, Shrek piled the same weird, out of date characters together, but Shrek at least reveled in the glory of anachronism.

Plus, honestly, I had to suffer missing the Simpsons to watch that with someone on multiple occasions. So I kinda have that bias.

And there's now an Alice in Wonderland version that has nothing to do with AIW... and it even manages to out Emo the Tim Burton version.

I feel like Sleeping Beauty is a bit of an underrated Disney classic.
Far from it, mate... far from it. Disney really liked that one. Wasn't that castle the one they used for Disneyland or World (I'm not sure which one). And Maleficent is a pretty prominent Disney Villain. Right up there with the Wicked Queen from Snow White and Cruella DeVil. It's a pretty popular film, as far as Disney animated movies are concerned.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sleeping Beauty Castle is the one in DLR (Disneyland Resort), Cinderella Castle is at WDW.
Maleficent's so popular she's getting her own background character-centric movie starring Angelina Joli, to be released in July 2014, that's one of the few movies I'm looking forward to next year.
And as an Alice fan, I'm looking forward to the Once Upon a Time spin-off, the only drawback is that I have to watch the main series as well because the producers said there'd be some crossover episodes. Then again, I got into that fandom because of a good friend here on the forums. :wink: Also looking forward to Ariel's introduction in Storybrook in Season 3.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So I was right about that. The flagship theme park chose Sleeping Beauty over the other two princess films.

And that's the explanation for the Fractured Fairy Tale "Sleeping Beautyland" segment.