WHOOPS! I need help...

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Hey, have any of you ever spilled contact cement on your carpet? Or worse — on your landlord's carpet?

Yeah... it's not good. The only advice on the back of the glue can was to use "mineral spirits" to remove it. Do you think turpinoid would work? Any help from experience or otherwise is welcome! :eek:

Thanks!

biblebetty

Reaction score
becareful I think turpentine will take the color out of carpet. try the spirits

keithallison

Reaction score
in my first apartment, my girlfriend at the time, spilled almost a whole bottle of laundry soap on the carpet... I went into the closet, cut out a chunk of carpet... took it to the affected area and cut around it... glued it in place and nobody knew any better!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Try Goo-Be-Gone. Home Depot usually sells it and it works quite well. Actually, most Home Depots have a few useful contact cement removing products in their adhesive aisle.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions and sympathy stories, folks! I think I'll check out Home Depot and see what they can offer.

Melonpool

Reaction score
This is how I got it out:

Use Wool-lite carpet cleaner (it's the foaming kind). Use per instructions on side of can, but while it's foamy, take a brush (like the ones used for cleaning bathtubs) and scrub in every direction imaginable (up, down, sideways, in circles).

You may have to do this a couple of times. Also, heating it with a hairdryer will make it gummy again. There may be a slight discoloration, but I did this once when it happened and then again just before I moved out (the treatment, not the gluing) and ended up getting the full%

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
All those are good suggestions, or just do what I'm going to do when I move out about the india ink I spilled on my apartment's carpet:

Say bye-bye to that deposit!! :smile:

Melonpool

Reaction score
I actually got most of the India Ink out of my carpet as well using that technique. Wool-lite is awesome!