1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Who makes the Muppets now?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by chrislynch, Sep 6, 2009.

1. chrislynch

chrislynch New Member

I understand the Jim Henson New York workshop doesn't make the characters owned by Disney? Who makes them these days?
    Also what about the Sesame Street characters.. are they made my Henson or freelances? Thanks Chris, in New Zealand.
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

No, the Jim Henson company builds and constructs all of the SST Muppets for them, I believe it's the way it's been done for so long now, and continues to be done this way.

The Henson company also manufactures all of the Muppets for the international co-productions as well; I remember seeing a documentary where veteran Muppet builder Ed Christie demonstrated the different constructions of different kinds Muppets, ranging from arm-rod Muppets to glove-hand Muppets. Marty Robinson usually trains new puppeteers for the co-productions as well.
  3. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

The Muppets owned by Disney (Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Piggy, and the gang) are primarily built and maintained by Puppet Heap.

The Muppets owned by Sesame Workshop (Big Bird, Oscar, Elmo, Grover, and the gang) are primarily built and maintained by Jim Henson's Creature Shop.
  4. chrislynch

chrislynch New Member

oh I thought...

thanks for that !
  5. chrislynch

chrislynch New Member

Puppet Heap

Is puppet heap run by former Henson staff?

Why does the Jim Henson puppetworkshop not make them?
  6. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Yes, Puppet Heap is run by former Henson staff - and many of the builders worked on the Muppets when they were still with Henson.

Now as for why Disney went with Puppet Heap rather than Henson's Creature Shop... there were several reasons, but the main one had to do with the almighty dollar.
  7. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

Dang, so much for the family that builds together stays together. :sympathy:
  8. chrislynch

chrislynch New Member

What about the Jim Henson New York Workship does that still exist?