Who makes music?

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Hi there, everybody.

I was just wondering who makes music, and how? I was trying to figure out the other day if all people have an impulse within them to make music somehow. Even if it's just whistling, humming, singing in the shower, it seems like many of us find a way to express ourselves musically.

So--play any instruments? In a band? I, for one, sing a lot. I've been in choirs since kindergarten, and I sing a lot informally as well. Shower, car, walking around on the street, etc. Often I just wander around the house making up songs--I can't seem to stop singing. I also picked up my guitar again for the first time in a while and started messing around trying to play stuff. How about the rest of you? How do you make music?

:sing:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I love singing, although I generally tend to do it when there's nobody around. Or if it's just my brother I don't care that much. I did buy myself a karaoke machine last year, and once in a while we'll pull that out and sing a while. I always sing along with the radio in the car. Singing is one of my favorite things, but I don't think I'm very good at it, especially when I'm not singing super-quiet.

I play the piano. Took lessons for years and don't anymore, but I still play it once in a while. I've also got a really nice keyboard my parents got me a few years ago, and a harp I bought myself last year, plus 3 tin whistles (much to my brother's annoyance). I've also got a harmonica floating around somewhere, but I'm due for a new one. I got my current one for my 12th birthday, and it's getting rather rusty. I write music once in a while, though putting it down on paper is something I've always had trouble with. I got a new music-writing program for Christmas so hopefully that will help. I'd really like to sit down and write some songs this year.
Erin

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I really want to learn to play the piano. Some of my favorite musicians ( :sympathy: included) are pianists. Maybe someday I'll have the time.

Hey Erin, have you gotten to try Apple's Garage Band program? I don't know what kind of computer you use, but this is a new piece of Mac software that is a really fun music-studio. Lots of possibilities.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Sounds cool. :smile: But I have a Hewlett Packard. I worked on a Mac when I was on the college newspaper but that was it. This program I just got recently looks really cool but I haven't had much chance to play around with it yet. I gotta check it out now that I've got some time on my hands!
Erin

dmx10101

Reaction score
I write raps, and make beats. I have composed a few songs, but my rapping isn't the best as I have a hard time keeping a good flow, because I tend to stumble over words alot when I try to rap fast. Eventually, I will put out my own cd, I have alot of the suppiles and like a said several raps written, several beats made, and one or two near complete songs. But as I have said before with stores I have tried to written I seem to never beable to finish a project I start, because I loose the inspiration after a few days, I will get inspirations and ideas, thoughts for raps, stories, whatever and it just comes to me I could start writing about anything as a all of a sudden get a inspiration for something in my head and it just keeps coming to me as I write it, unfortunetly it usually lasts for only a few days and I loss it. That's why I have some many unfinished things.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I've written a few songs (yet unpublished, although Di Anne Price--a barrelhouse blues pianist--is going to take one called {her title} Burnt Toast and Black Coffee for her next CD). I also wrote "The Smiles of Children" but haven't been able to find someone to compose the music for it.

I play harmonica and do vocals when we do our Memphis Blues Brothers acts, and my puppets do NOT lip sync, it's all live vocals.

I also break into song whenever I feel like it (I think everyone should), and I whistle or hum.

Being a big blues lover, I hear music in my head all the time, and sometimes my friends have noticed me sitting there just keeping beat by nodding my head, tapping my fingers, or tapping my foot/feet, and they always know I'm hearing a song in my head and say, "What'ch'a listenin' to?" I've also infected one of my friends with that musical disease, too!

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Well...Lessee.....I've sung in multiple choirs for several years, now, I write songs on occassion, I make up little wordless tunes, and I'm attempting to learn to play guitar. (As I have been for a year, now...)
I love music. Love it, love it, love it! Almost as much as I love writing....I can't imagine life w/o music...Wait, yes I can....In 7th grade, I went through a big depression, I quit all my choirs and didn't sing...For almost a year. It's sort of a chicken-or-egg thing...Was I depressed because I stopped singing, or did I stop singing because I was depressed? In either case, I know I need my music....

Aaron

Reaction score
i sing im in chorus at school

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I've written a few songs (yet unpublished, although Di Anne Price--a barrelhouse blues pianist--is going to take one called {her title} Burnt Toast and Black Coffee for her next CD).
Wow! That's really cool! :smile:
Erin

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I had a semester in choir where I wasn't in any choir. It was really depressing. I would pass by music buildings and hear the choirs warming up, and I'd be so sad. Other than that one semester, I've been in choir since kindergarten.