Which characters would you consider classic?

SSLFan

Reaction score
Here's some food for thought:

This year will mark Zoe's 20th year on Sesame Street.

Feeling old yet? LOL.

Which brings me to the question: what characters would you consider to be classic characters? Would it be only up to a certain period on the show (Ex. first 10 years, first 20 years, etc.), or after the character themselves have been on the show after a certain number of seasons? Like since Zoe has now been around for this long, would you consider her a classic character in comparison to say Abby & Murray, whom we can all agree are still new on the street?

Just thought I'd bring this up, I'd like to hear your comments.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think as many people who may answer that question, that's how many different answers you may get.

Most fans consider the beginning of ATC as the end of the old school/classic era, so with that in mind, I think it's safe to definitely consider any character who was conceived before Season 25 as a classic character.

But it's debatable, because SST has gone through more eras since the demise of ATC, which could probably be divided accordingly: 1998-2001 (Seasons 30-32), 2002-2007 (Seasons 33-38), 2008-present (Seasons 39-now). The 2002-2007 could also be some what ambiguous, as the format of the show was still keeping with the block format, yet the street itself and the stories were kind of reminiscent of 1998-2001. Either way, I have a feeling some would consider 1998-2001, by now, "classic" status as well, since they were the last years of the show's original format, not to mention, even Sesame Workshop considered Season 33 as the start of "The All New Sesame Street"... so, perhaps, characters from ATC and 1998-2001 could possibly be considered classics today.

Arguably, I think most retired characters would have achieved classic status by now as well.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Hmmmm. I never thought about it. I was a bit surprised when Zoe showed up on that Jeff Foxworthy game because I didn't think of her as a classic character. I might have to sleep on that.