Where the Wild Things Are. A Disney Verison

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Ok I'm surpised by this cause as much as cartoon lover and Disney fan that I am, I had zero idea about this.

But in 1983 Disney had the movie rights to Where the Wild Things Are. But they didn't use them, so they lost them.

Check it out here's the animation test

Max looks a lot like one of Peter Pan's lost boys.

What could of been huh? I saw the new one by Warner Bros and I thought it was "so-so," I mean I liked it, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would of. I'm not saying Disney would of made it better, but it's interesting to think of what could of been. I wonder if it would of been less "darK" than the one in thethers now?

Drtooth

Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I'm glad the Warner Bros one got made for one very BIG and specific reason. And that magic word is licensing. Look at the crap that A.A. Milne's family/estate had to deal with. Would you want to have that happen to Maurice Sendak, to lose his most famous story? Not to mention the fact that the Disney version would totally eclipse the original book. Come on, how many of us have actuality tracked down a copy of the original Shrek book? Not to mention the fact that for years people knew Disney adaptions of Fairy Tales much more than their darker, actual stories.

Honestly, I can overlook that, but the fact he'd lose his own characters through Disney's licensing policy just seems worrysome.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I'm glad the Warner Bros one got made for one very BIG and specific reason. And that magic word is licensing. Look at the crap that A.A. Milne's family/estate had to deal with. Would you want to have that happen to Maurice Sendak, to lose his most famous story? Not to mention the fact that the Disney version would totally eclipse the original book. Come on, how many of us have actuality tracked down a copy of the original Shrek book? Not to mention the fact that for years people knew Disney adaptions of Fairy Tales much more than their darker, actual stories.

Honestly, I can overlook that, but the fact he'd lose his own characters through Disney's licensing policy just seems worrysome.
Well like I said, I'm not saying the Disney verison would of been better. I did like the Warner bros one.

But you're right I didn't even think about whether or not Disney would get to owning those characters like they did with Winnie the Pooh and friends, good point.

I'm not sure what you mean by bring up Sherk though, that's a Dreamworks movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by bring up Sherk though, that's a Dreamworks movie.
I know full well... I should have been more specific and said that movies based off of kids books in general, but I didn't. But my sentiment still stands...

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Looks interesting- definitely Disney's style of animation there. And yeah, Max reminds me of one of The Lost Boys- (of Peter Pan's, that is- not of the Frog Brothers- i.e. Corey Haim and Corey Feldman.:wink:)