Where is Steve Whitmire Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker

Reaction score
1. I think Frogboy may be right, in that some sort of negotiation(good or bad) is going on. It's likely that if Whitmire doesnt return, they haven't settled on a permanent replacement.
The Muppets and especially Kermit sans Whitmire would be such a massive blow given all the other characters he performs.

2. I 100% agree with Sarah on Broadway. Ive met Whitmire, and man I cant say enough good things about the man...I have no idea why people have bashed his performance over the years. Whitmire's Kermit to me started getting into his own groove by the mid to latter 90's, and I think he's the perfect evolution from Jim's Kermit.

This new fill in role to me is on par with the German Mcdonalds commercial "Kermit", if people remember that 2002 debacle.

As far as opinions, everyone's faves and least faves should be respected. I am not a fan in the slightest of Great Muppet Caper or Muppet Christmas Carol, but I *love* Letters to Santa. Just the way it goes

3. If our own Kevin Muley was to get the job as Fozzie, a dream I know he's had, I would be saying the same thing..."What happened to Eric? We want Eric back".

4. Im glad people brought up Eric Jacobson. To this day I am shocked at how well he's slipped into and adapted all of Oz' signature characters. He's scary good.

5. @ MelissaY1: Holy goodness, you've been on Muppet online fandom longer than I! hehe. I started going on Muppet fan sites in 1997 regularly, but didnt find Muppet Central til 1998.

RobintheBrave

Reaction score
I've just been reading bits and pieces of this discussion, but I find it all really interesting considering 8-10 years ago people were still questioning and criticizing Steve's performances as Kermit. It's truly amazing how well Steve has slowly adapted to the role and how much the fandom has finally come to accept him. It would be a real shame to lose him right as he's hit his stride.

Robin the Brave

RedPiggy

Reaction score
If you get an F on a paper and then a D on the next, your parents aren't going to applaud you for doing better. You're still not passing.
Maybe not applaud, but it should be recognized and encouraged or the student will say "screw it ... I just can't make Mom and Dad happy".

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Maybe not applaud, but it should be recognized and encouraged or the student will say "screw it ... I just can't make Mom and Dad happy".
This is much more jarring than when they changed Darrens on Bewitched and pretended not to notice. :eek:

If Disney is going to audition Kermit impersonators rather than have a Kermit performer like they've had the last 54 years then here's a good list of canditates I've found. :smile: :mad: And ones for Miss Piggy too.

I love the Muppet Wiki. Gives me the giggles when I need them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still wonder about these performances that muppetinsider says are so great. Maybe he can do it well behind closed doors, out of the public eye, and somehow chokes when it comes to an actual performance live, and in front of millions.

I'm sure Artie is a great puppeteer... but really, I think he should have started earlier and had his own characters before he attempted or was cast to be Kermit. Other than Eric, no one has been recast out of the blue without there own characters, even minor ones...

Again, I'm just waiting until we have official confirmation about Steve's status with the muppets, barring anything too personal (A simple yes he's still with them or no, he's leaving would suffice). That's the only thing that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Exactly. To me, any effort going forward should be applauded in my eyes. So while this might not be the Kermit we know and love, it's a Kermit maybe the general public will love. I don't know but I think any efforts to get just Kermit's face out there at these events and on T.V., I just can't see being a negative thing.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
5. @ MelissaY1: Holy goodness, you've been on Muppet online fandom longer than I! hehe. I started going on Muppet fan sites in 1997 regularly, but didnt find Muppet Central til 1998.
Oh yes, I was on the old Prodigy online service as early as 1991/92. I first "met" Steve Whitmire, the late great Jerry Juhl and Muppet writer/historian Craig Shemin back on the old Puppetry bulletin board back around that time.

beaker

Reaction score
Oh yes, I was on the old Prodigy online service as early as 1991/92. I first "met" Steve Whitmire, the late great Jerry Juhl and Muppet writer/historian Craig Shemin back on the old Puppetry bulletin board back around that time.
Wow, hardcore! I remember dorking around on BBS stuff in 90/91, but it wasnt til 1994 that I began using AOL/Compuserv type networks...and not til 1996 that I was fully on the world wide web.

Do you know anyone from way back in the day thats still active, Muppet fan wise? Virtually everyone I remember from the 1998-1999 Muppet Central period seems to be MIA...Luke, DW Mckim and a few others being the exception

unclematt

Reaction score
Just curious how many people have signed the petition so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.