Where do you get your latex?

CoOKiE

Reaction score
I'm trying to grab some reliable and inexpensive resources for latex. I usually dont use latex for puppetry, i have before, but i'm thinking about making a dragon for halloween and using latex. The issue is, i know of a place i can order from New York, but you have to buy a large quantity of it, which i really don't need.

Anyone know of some places?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
At work we usually buy in large quantities because it's cheaper that way, but if you're looking for smaller quantities, most art supply stores carry latex. It's usually found in the section devoted to molding and casting supplies.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I use several Monster Makers products. They're usually really good.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Thnx Buck, as mentioned i know of places that i can buy cheaper for large amounts, but i'm thinking about making just a dragon, or even a bird. With a bird i'll just need to do the beak... or maybe i'll even combine the two, bird head and body, but reptile type hands... hmmmm lol.

Any popular name brad out there? As for art supplie stores, I have alot of chain stores nearby... Jo Anns, Micheals, Wal-Mart... does anyone know if any of them have anything?

CoOKiE

Reaction score
i might have to go with that website after all. I went to some stores and they sell latex paint... i'm sure thats not what i'm lookin for tho.

Will there be something i need to buy to mix with it? it put on before the latex?i've only done this once before. i remember making things with just foam and latex, but i remember there was another coating of something before to help it last longer.. this is just for Halloween so i wont need to make it last long tho.

charlie bird

Reaction score
I don't think so ,but put talculm powder over the finished latex and rub it off to keep the latex from sticking to itself.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
thnx for the tip!

I went to the big name stores, even tried Home Depot for the heck of it thinking maybe ppl use latex for plumbing? lol i know, silly.. but none had it. HOWEVER, i came to a seasonal Halloween store which just happened to carry latex in the same quart size containers you'd buy motor oil in. They were 16.99 each... I bought two, i should be all set for what i need :smile:

Melonpool

Reaction score
I used to use latex rug backing on some of my projects. Using ripped up tissue paper, I could sort of use it like paper mache (using the rug backing liquid instead of the wheat paste). I never used it on puppets, but did make some pretty cool Klingon forehead pieces.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I'm really glad this thread is under the Puppetry forum and didn't get misplaced. Because otherwise the thread title looked really weird,okay?....lol:rolleyes::crazy::batty: